Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

tire sizes

Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire sizes

Would I be able to use a 190/55/17 when my bike is supposed to have a 190/50/17 by manual? What would it change, handling? The 55 is just the aspect ratio so I thought maybe it wouldnt matter

Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
teh clit wiggler

yes you would be able to use the the 55 but its gonna raise up the rear which will be the same as lowering your front. Making your bike more prone to headshake. now correct me if im wrong here BT. but definitely the handling will change. not sure if it would be good or bad or both.

hopefully someone would chime in here who is more knowledgeable.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Hooligan

its a good thing. will effect handling in a good way. and actually i lowered my front a few mm and got rid of my headshake.

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 AM

I would say it isn't going to change the handling enough for you to care if you are the average street rider or weekend warrior type. If you are really hard core, you may find it annoying but not necessarily dangerous, but then you probably wouldn't be asking for opinions here either. If you are just getting a back tire, worst case scenario is you hate it and do a 30 second burn out to get the center back down to where you like it, right?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM
teh clit wiggler

lulz
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Never Surrender

Originally Posted by dkutin
I would say it isn't going to change the handling enough for you to care if you are the average street rider or weekend warrior type. If you are really hard core, you may find it annoying but not necessarily dangerous, but then you probably wouldn't be asking for opinions here either. If you are just getting a back tire, worst case scenario is you hate it and do a 30 second burn out to get the center back down to where you like it, right?
+1
Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Okay thanks guys, and yes I am somewhat new and this bike is just my daily driver, not a track bike. I was thinking about just ordering the right size and saying they sent me the wrong one and sending this one back because it's still stickered and everything and then I'll just say I want my money back.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:29 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

is the rear ride hight adjustable on your bike? some are a pain, some are easy. if its easy and you don't like how it rides. just lower the back a few mm and your back to pretty much where you were. the 55 will have a different profile, but normally guys like that better. makes it tip into a corner easier.

I had to go the other way around when I first got my bike. it called for a 190.55 and no one had them in stock for almost a year. so it put the 50 on there and raised the bike back up to the stock hight and it felt the same to me. since I don't really push it on the street either. maybe the track guys would notice.

oh and if you have a rear hugger, it may rub that too.