Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Random Questions

Old 08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Old school TR member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Questions

So my first front tire on my bike wore really weird
Explanation:
Every 2 inchs or so there was a bald spot to the right of the middle of the tire and between each bald spot those two inchs were a slight bump. It rode perfectly fine though.

So on to the second tire it seems like its wearing the same way. Ive always felt that my left arm has been slightly extended more when riding, so I was looking at the forks today when riding and the left one seemed slightly more forward than the right. Could that be the reason for the tire wearing like this? Should I just loosen the triple clamp and adjust it to see if that solves the problem?

BTW
I was just watching superbikes on speed and jason britton received a bike from kawasaki and the last three on the vin were 666 so he sent it back and got a new one. Anyone think I can pull this off since when I am going 66mph its @ 6k rpm?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:48 PM
owns a $10,000 unicycle!

do you do a lot of wheelies?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Old school TR member

Originally Posted by cantcatchmeboy
do you do a lot of wheelies?
No not really. I do way more wheelies on my brothers bike and his tire is fine.The forks are deff miss aligned I think when I bought it they tightned the triple clamp bolt down with the tire angled slightly, just thought Id see some other peoples opinions. Its rides fine though even when I take it out and rip through corners.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I race sailboats

If its horizontal cupping then it could be bad shocks, diagonal cupping is usually toe.

This is from a cager though, just trying to help.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
owns a $10,000 unicycle!

well if your top triple looks crooked when you're going straight then i would adjust it but if you do a lot of wheelies you will start to get flat spots on the front tire esp if you keep it up til the front wheel stops

Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Originally Posted by ToRqUe
No not really. I do way more wheelies on my brothers bike and his tire is fine.The forks are deff miss aligned I think when I bought it they tightned the triple clamp bolt down with the tire angled slightly, just thought Id see some other peoples opinions. Its rides fine though even when I take it out and rip through corners.

i've heard of it.. its real big on the zx10 boards right now because a lot of them are pulling to one side really bad. they are finding them not angled right and even one tube higher in the triple clamp than the other one.

post pics of the tire, it could even be pretty normal wear for that brand of tire. i know the older dunlops wear funny as hell to me.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Old school TR member

Originally Posted by cantcatchmeboy
well if your top triple looks crooked when you're going straight then i would adjust it but if you do a lot of wheelies you will start to get flat spots on the front tire esp if you keep it up til the front wheel stops
Damn I wish I still had the tire to take pics of, the one I have on now doesnt show it as good. But ya I know what you mean wheelies and flat spots, its was nothing like that.

thanks for the input guys
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Old school TR member

Originally Posted by ???
i've heard of it.. its real big on the zx10 boards right now because a lot of them are pulling to one side really bad. they are finding them not angled right and even one tube higher in the triple clamp than the other one.

post pics of the tire, it could even be pretty normal wear for that brand of tire. i know the older dunlops wear funny as hell to me.
I dont have any pics of the old tire, it was a dunlop though. I have on a metzler I think right now and its doing the same. I just measured the forks from the center of each one with the tire straight and its crooked almost a half inch , I need to try and find a socket big enough to adjust this and see if that fixs the problem
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
owns a $10,000 unicycle!

socket big enough for what?