Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

California Speedway 5/11 (AMA Confirguration)

Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Wears holes in knee pucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up California Speedway 5/11 (AMA Confirguration)

I just got back from riding at California Speedway (now called Autoclub Speedway). It was the same configuration as the AMA races held there two weeks ago. It was insane to be watching the AMA races on Saturday (I DVRed the races) and then to be using their race lines on Sunday on the same track.

The banked straight was wicked fast!!! From the map below or if you caught the 5 hours of racing on SPEED channel a couple weeks ago, you can see how long the straight is!

I don't have any pics yet and the ones taken by the photographer were few and far between (he only did a few sessions in the morning) - one of which was red flaged on the 1st lap, but some should be available in a few days.

The facilities are amazing. The garages are free to use, pits are really nice, the track is in great shape, and when you are rolling down the banked straight all you see are the grand stands all the way down.

Here is a Youtube video that someone else did that shows the track facilities and rides along with this guy for a few laps. AGAIN, this is NOT me (as indicated by lack of knee drag and lack of squirly rear tire from agressive downshifting going into corners), but it gives you an idea of what the track looks like.

YouTube - Track Day at California Speedway

Once the photos are up, if I can snag some, I'll post them up, otherwise I'll just have to share the photos I have from the other track I went to (ButtonWillow) and or some shots in the Malibu Canyons draggin knee (they've got photographers everywhere out here!).
Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Resident Dingo

cool man.. what are normal lap times there?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Mofongo Expert!

Steve... I hate you.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon
cool man.. what are normal lap times there?
Not sure what "normal lap times" are at that track. From what I understand, the expert/level 3 riders were running 1:45 or faster, intermediate/level 2 were running high 1:50s or faster and novice or level 1 is anything slower than that.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by racerraul
Steve... I hate you.
Raul, don't hate, participate!

The great thing about that track is when they have track days there (not all track days are AMA configuration though) they usually have a company that rents bikes out.

www.sportbikerental.com was out there yesterday and I think they are out there often.

So you can fly into LA, and rent a sport bike and start feeling the love! Just call me in advance when you are coming out and we'll hit the multiple mountain ranges in SoCal and hit anyone of the multiple tracks. Better take at least a week off, because there are so many roads and tracks to ride, you'll need all the time you can get!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Looks awesome, except I didn't like how there were so many cones making up the turns for the track. Turn #1 looks crazy and it was ridiculous how those AMA guys were doing it. Cool stuff man; I'll hit you up when I win the lottery.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Resident Dingo

how much is to rent a bike

by normal lap times i meant like the intermediate track day riders. anyway, you answered my qwersteun
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JoeHoR1
Looks awesome, except I didn't like how there were so many cones making up the turns for the track. Turn #1 looks crazy and it was ridiculous how those AMA guys were doing it. Cool stuff man; I'll hit you up when I win the lottery.
The cones do look like a PITA when watching it on TV/YouTube, but when you are out there they actually are not "in the way" or distracting (surprisingly). Plus if you blow a corner, and from almost everyone out there said they did, the run off is fantastic because you are on pavement.

I usually don't blow corners, although close calls are common at the track, but I actually blew the chicane on turn 7/8 once with no issue. Many people blew corner #1, the chicane at the end of the straight and were fine only because there was so much runoff.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon
how much is to rent a bike
There are two different companies that rent sport bikes in LA that I know of.

One place rents them for $100 per day Mon-Thur or $125 per day Fri-Sun. Pretty decent rate. You could always take it to the track and ride it and as long as you didn't wreck it, I'm sure they wouldn't care.

SOUTH BAY SPORT BIKE RENTALS :: SPORT MOTORCYCLE RENTALS IN SUNNY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

If you want to show up to the track and have the bike already there, ready to ride, preped with amenities (water, snacks, tire warmers, air conditioned trailer) and with a pit crew etc, its a bit pricier $489 per day (which does not include the price of the track day - Cal Speedway track day costs $269)

Sport Bike Rental.com now offers motorcycle rentals for the track!

by normal lap times i meant like the intermediate track day riders. anyway, you answered my qwersteun
Intermediate times were 1:46 - high 1:50s. I checked some of the AMA races and those guys were running into the low to mid 1:20s!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 AM
Mofongo Expert!

Believe me... if I could hop on a plane and participate, I would... have fun.
I still hate you

Looks like LA is a ton of fun. I hear sometimes, all you need to do is set your margarita mix on the ground & mother nature shakes it for you... now THAT is service

Bet it works with Chocolate milk & yoohoos too