Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Tryin to get a bike

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tryin to get a bike

Hey guys, been lurking around here for a couple weeks now and I would really like to get a bike during summer because Ill be driving around 60 or so miles a day and gas prices are only going up. Iv already got a 06 Civic that gets 30mpg but Im tryin to keep the miles off of it. So Im lookin to get a used Ninja 250 for my first bike because it averages 60+ mpg and is a good bike for just around town. I wont be going on the highway at all so I wont really be affected by the twitchy-ness. I just wanted to hear some input on this; is the 250 a good starter bike? My friends said I would get bored of it, but 0-60 in 6 seconds is pretty good for me (once I learn to drive it). For gear Im just gonna get a helmet, jacket, and gloves...or should I go for the whole set? Then there is maintenance, I know you change the oil every 1,000 miles, but what else is there that should be routinely done?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Go Getta

No you want a 600 or 1k trust me change the oil every 1k?! do it every 3k

USMC
Done Sir Done

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Mofongo Expert!

If economy is what you seek, then the 250 is good at that while still offering some fun.

I am, however, not in favor of inexperienced riders commuting on their 1st bikes. The city streets are vicious.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Fail

Originally Posted by racerraul
If economy is what you seek, then the 250 is good at that while still offering some fun.

I am, however, not in favor of inexperienced riders commuting on their 1st bikes. The city streets are vicious.
I agree after a year of riding i got hit by a cadi on Us19 mid sunday with no traffic.. Streets are harsh. No one is paying attention to the bikers. But it helps on gas. Im about to buy a bike again this week. I rode a 250 for 2 weeks when i was 14 before i bought my 750. Its alright but trust me when u get the hang of riding u will get a bigger bike fast. You should just buy a 600 and ride in some parking lots for a day and then take it easy. Ride in groups for the first month or so. Then start dodging cars pulling in front of you. You will get the hang of it..

Originally Posted by Kirk
Failure for President.
Originally Posted by SuburbanNoize
Weve already got that
Old 04-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Im sofa king we todd did.

ive been commuting on a ninja 250 for a couple weeks now. its defenitly true that once you get comfortable you'll want more power but personally i like it. its my first bike and you defenitly feel in control from the first day. unlike with the larger bikes where you might feel a little timid. its also true the streets are crazy and its up to you to protect yourself cause theres defenitly nobody out there thats going to do it for you. not saying that there arent things you just cant avoid. and the gas mileage is awesome.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Well Im sure Ill be riding in parking lots and around my neighborhood for a while till I get the hang of it. What do 600s get in mpg? Ill be drivin down in Fort Myers so the traffic is not as bad as it is here in Tampa, but nonetheless you are right people do not look for bikes. Ill also be takin the MSF course to get my endorsement.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Speed is not something Im really looking for...less chance of hurting myself I guess, plus Im used to going slow, I drive a Civic
Old 04-16-2008, 07:02 PM
teh clit wiggler

hayabusa+turbo is what youre looking fo
Old 04-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Two wheels only

Originally Posted by NickC89
Well Im sure Ill be riding in parking lots and around my neighborhood for a while till I get the hang of it.
its more than just "getting the hang of it". You need to learn to ride before you get into traffic....you dont go into traffic to learn to ride.

The reason why people say to stay out of traffic is because when you first start out, you spend most of your attention to just controlling the bike..(braking, throttle control, clutch, gear shifts, counter steering, slow speed steering, and hell balance for some people).

In other words, you'll get yourself killed in a heart beat because it would be impossible to direct most of your attention to the streets (cars, corners, sand, potholes, debris, and the occasional flying shreds of tire)

You need to stick to the backroads a hell of alot before you could even consider using the bike as a commuter.

Also, alot of wrecks happen close to home solo, or just with a single vehicle not looking for you. thus the necessity of having close to 100% of your attention directed 360degrees around you at ALL times, and not on "i wonder which gear i'm in...."

I've seen a good number of videos of people getting rear ended at traffic lights, tboned in intersections, and I've had dozens of cars try to run me off the road though lane changes directly into my side.

Fuck cars.

I digress.

Lrn2Ryde 1st.

.Fear is the Mind-Killer.

Originally Posted by C ME WRKD
Chicken strips? I see no grocies in that pic
Chicken Strips: It's a Goddamned Food Item.

.Treaty of Tripoli 1797, Article 11.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 PM

Point taken Fauro, I appreciate your input. How long would you think it takes to learn a bike (throttle control, braking, etc..)? I learn pretty quickly, took me less than 15 minutes to learn how to drive stick, but thats totally different than a bike, just using it as a reference. I have a pretty big neighborhood with stop signs, etc. so if I do go forth with this, I guess Ill spend the summer riding around in there than on the street.

What are some places you guys recommend for learning? Parking lots, neighborhoods, taking MSF class...anything else?