Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

What does it take to do a track day?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take to do a track day?

I have been kicking around the idea of doing my first track day at Jennings but I have heard it is expensive and difficult. For those of you who have done track days before, here are some questions:

1) What modifications need to be done to a stock street bike to make it track legal? How hard is it to perform these modifications myself? I have heard people have track bikes and street bikes because it is a pain to keep switching the same bike back and forth.

2) What gear is required? Riding gear as well as just general stuff I will need like a tent for the pits or whatever.

3) How much does an average track day cost? Not just registration fees but everything else I will need as well.

4) Can I just sign up as an individual or do I need a group to go with? What sort of registration is required?

Keep in mind I am not trying to set any lap records and really do not care if I am the slowest bike on the track. I just want to go have fun without getting in anyone else's way. Are there special begginer days or something to teach newbies track etiquette? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by dkutin; 03-18-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
chicken sirloin

SHORT ANSWER...

JenningsGP

all of your questions are answered right der....

1. tape lights, tape wheel weights, remove mirrors and tag.
2. 1 or 2 piece LEATHERS, helmet, boots that cover your ankle, gloves that cover your wrist. you dont NEED anything else. Its nice to have an ez-up, but not necessary.
3. registration fees are really your only cost...you dont need special tires, just need to be in good shape, you will have to camp or stay in a hotel for JGP (too far to drive in the am and ride for most people).
4. go with at least 1 other person, so if you do crash and cant drive...your shit gets back home. other than that you should be good. a private track day will get you more time and less people...

Last edited by Slo Poke; 03-18-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

I have not gone but from what I see most guys spend about 1000$ on their first trip with about a 50% chance of crashing, good thing is about a 10% chance you won't get hurt doing it.

also I'm told don't go when its hot... so either hurry up or wait till it gets cool again.

but this is only hear say for me and if you enjoy it, none of that will matter... even if its 90* out you may love it. most people that know me, and have gone, say I won't really enjoy it and will prob just bitch the whole time and crash riding over my head anyways. so I have stayed away.

I have a feeling track riding isn't for everyone.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Best time ever if you plan on going.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:28 PM

I heard it is about a grand for the first day as well although after going to the JenningsGP website (thanks Slo Poke) it doesn't look so bad. I already have all the gear except leather pants, I can time it so I go right after I get my next set of tires (PP 2CT), and by that time I can save up for the pants and just general expenses like hotel room, gas, food, etc. Now I am thinking I can probably swing it for under $500?

What I was really worried about are the things I am not thinking about since I have never been... that and the bike mods. If I just need to tape the headlight and wheel weights, and remove mirrors and tag, no big deal.

I was kind of hoping guys that have just gone for the first time recently would relate their experiences so I know what to expect like am I going to piss everyone off if I am not Speedy McQuick my first time out. After all, I would much rather be the slowest guy on the track than wreck my first time out.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
NObama 2011

You should practice often on surface streets and on 19 during the heaviest of rush hour!!! Thats where you really really learn the skills you need to race.

It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech!!!

SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS SINCE BIRTH MEMBER #001

EITHER STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, OR PLEASE, STAND IN FRONT OF US. U.S.M.C. SNIPERS, ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Old 03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
You may call me Anon....

Originally Posted by R6Mitsu
You should practice often on surface streets and on 19 during the heaviest of rush hour!!! Thats where you really really learn the skills you need to race.

CBER is enough for this area you go to another ..

Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 PM

^ Hahaha!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:49 AM
2WheelsFTW

edit: never fucking mind, piece of shit image codes not working

fuck