Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Noob question from potential cyclist

Old 03-12-2008, 03:31 PM
aka EJ20T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question from potential cyclist

I'm looking to get a bike, preferably 600, to fit my frame, 5'7-8ish. Am I sized right or could I go bigger, keep in mind this would be my first bike

Also I just wanted to ask you riders, was it difficult to learn how to ride? Now I'm a fast learner, if you tell me how to operate & maintain it then I'm solid.

And finally an important question how many miles would be consider too much for a motorcycle.

Opinions are very much welcomed (neg and pos) Any help is gladly appreciated. Thanks! Hope to be riding soon!!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Alot bigger guys then yourself are running 600's so i think it's plenty big enough for you.Put the right rider on a 600 and he'll smoke a 1000 in the twisties.As for learning how to operate it's pretty easy to pick up the basics after a little expierience.However, a msf course would be very beneficial to teach you the techniqes and procedures for operating under emergency situations that due happen!Miles are like assholes every one has them.With this being said as long as good maintence has been done on the bike(a record log should be kept if the owner is smart)you should be fine.Look for normal signs of wear(sprockets,chain,tires,leaks ect..)before buying!Good luck

Last edited by fordfx584; 03-12-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
You may call me Anon....

yea beign a fast learner is one thing but to motrcycles its different. you have to learn how not to be scared. to trust rubber on the road with confidence. building confidence is equal to learning on a bike

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Resident Ginger Kid...

milage is a state of mind. theres plently of posts on it. as long as it was takin care of there should be no major issues. we have seen videos of bikes rollin over 100k, i have 29k on my 04 GSXR when i sold it 2 weeks ago and i took care of that as well and the new owner is completely happy with it.

2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado # 0396
1988 Monte Carlo SS 5.3/T56 and too many mods.
2003 Honda 954RR
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Two wheels only

The thing about milage is that its generally impossible to know how well the other owner took care of it. Had you started from 0 miles, and babied it all the way to 100k, then sure. You're good to go.

But if you meet some random guy with 50,000 miles on an older bike, you honestly have no idea how well he took care of it (changed the oil, filter, valve shimming, throttle body balancing, air filter, spark plugs, Fork Oil, and all of the other finer things about a motorcycle that a GOOD owner is very aware of.)

alot of motorcycle shops tend to skip some of the small stuff (there are exceptions of course, but my point remains)

So, I'd suggest you stick with a low mile bike, or start with a cheap high mile one, then when you're confident enough, sell it, and just buy new.

.Fear is the Mind-Killer.

Originally Posted by C ME WRKD
Chicken strips? I see no grocies in that pic
Chicken Strips: It's a Goddamned Food Item.

.Treaty of Tripoli 1797, Article 11.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM

or ask them to show you some receipts for the maintenance. i always keep my receipts so i can prove what i am selling is worth the price i am asking

i learned how to ride fairly quickly, but i will never assume i know everything bc that is when the inevitable happens. don't worry about being a newb, thats part of learning. i constantly remind myself not to drive beyond skill limits. your never going to figure it out sitting on the couch..so go grab a 600 and start learning

start with small goals. back streets, parking lots, neighborhoods. get a good feel for your bike. then start doing some quick stops, figure eights, tight u-turns w/in 2-3 parking spots. then work your way up to larger roads.
good luck
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by FastEclipseGSXT
or ask them to show you some receipts for the maintenance. i always keep my receipts so i can prove what i am selling is worth the price i am asking

i learned how to ride fairly quickly, but i will never assume i know everything bc that is when the inevitable happens. don't worry about being a newb, thats part of learning. i constantly remind myself not to drive beyond skill limits. your never going to figure it out sitting on the couch..so go grab a 600 and start learning

start with small goals. back streets, parking lots, neighborhoods. get a good feel for your bike. then start doing some quick stops, figure eights, tight u-turns w/in 2-3 parking spots. then work your way up to larger roads.
good luck
what he said.
learn ur limits then when ur rdy u can step it up abit butt always remember to to ride safe dont do stupid stuff on crowded rds andalway where ur gear even if it looks like shit.

when i went on 275 last week i was scared to death with all the cars around me butt after telling myself it willl be ok i stayed with the pack and watched what they were doing. i was surprised i even stayed with the pack too butt after that it was great that i can do it

butt i also leard alot from that run on sunday too
expaically on newberge
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Resident Dingo

Originally Posted by Adalaxy
yea beign a fast learner is one thing but to motrcycles its different. you have to learn how not to be scared. to trust rubber on the road with confidence. building confidence is equal to learning on a bike
big +1
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 AM
FAST OLD FART

+1 on the MSF course! I would suggest taking someone more knowledgeable about motorcycles before purchasing a used bike!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:34 AM
aka EJ20T

Thanks for all the help and positive comments!!! You guys/gals are a lot nicer than those of the Subaru forum lol. But most definitely I was going to avoid any major roads, I actually have a park with a circle roadway wrapping around it which I thought would be nice practice grounds. Well thanks again! I've always wanted a bike ever since I saw a blue and white gsxr600 with white wheels but it wasn't until yesterday when I saw three bikers pull up to a McDonalds in full gear, it was a sight to see! But that's not the sole reason for getting out on two wheels, anyway I may sound like a loser I just hope to be out there with you folks soon!