Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Ran With Freaking Choke ON...Whats Damaged??

Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran With Freaking Choke ON...Whats Damaged??

Hey...sorry for long post again-

I recently found out that last week one of my friends was playing with my bike and he left (what he didn't know as the) choke on...

The following day I went to pick it up and rode it to work over the Howard Franklin bridge at a continuous speed of 80-90 (with choke on)... When I found my exit I got off and put some gas since I was eating up the last drops of my reserve...

After I filled tank up I rode to work, left it there for a few hours then rode it to school... On the way to school bike starts acting up, it starts feeling like it's about to turn off at lights and when I would take off and stay between 1k-4k bike would not want to accelerate instead it would feel as though it was drowned... Once I passed 5k rpm bike would gain normal strength and speed.

I looked everywhere and had found nothing... So I had to ride it back to Tampa (with choke on)... The choke is small and its hidden between the clutch somewhere so it was out of my stupidity that I kept missing it.

I finally left it in the garage and thoroughly inspected it and found choke on with another buddy. Turned it off, then turned on bike and pulled the choke lever on and off to see if it made a difference in bike's idling...and it didn't...it was as if choke didn't even exist.

So now bike is getting better but at low rpms usually between 1k-4k bike doesn't have much power or acceleration...

I'm giving it a full tune up tomorrow...but don't know if this will help...

Any Ideas????
Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 AM

Are you talking about the 636? I have the same bike and I've ran with the choke on before without problem. In fact I usually leave it on till the bike gets to normal operating temperature (160ish) just so it doesn't stall on me cuz I have my idle turned way down. The only thing I can think is maybe you fouled out the plugs.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:19 AM

All the choke does is constrict the amount of air the engine receives in a carburetted configuration. Fuel injected engines don't need chokes as the ECU automatically injects more fuel during initial warm-up.

You basically ran the bike with a rich air/fuel mixture which explains rough idle, poor acceleration at low rpm and excess fuel consumption.

Combustion temperatures are actually LOWER with the choke on than off, so you haven't damaged anything. Run a bottle of carb cleaner fuel treatment through the gas tank to remove excess carbon build-up and it should be fine.

Last edited by Wicked1; 02-13-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 AM

I thought the 2004 636 was fuel injected...what gives?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM

I don't know what kind of bike you are talking about or what you consider bogged down, but it may be normal. I ride a 2006 GSX-R1000 and it has a timing retardation device that keeps it from pulling to its full potential when in low gears (1st-4th) and at low RPMs. It is a "safety" mechanism put in place on bikes sold in the US to keep people from looping the bike and killing themselves.

The symptoms sound close to what you are talking about... It feels kind of bogged down until it gets over 5,000 RPMs. It is most noticeable in first and second gear, then when it gets over 4,000-5,000 RPMs it feels like a completely different bike and all of a sudden WOOHOOO... blast off!

Just want to make sure you are not chasing a ghost here...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wicked1
I thought the 2004 636 was fuel injected...what gives?
It is, but it has a "fast idle" lever to help get it started when it's cold.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:22 AM
woot

didnt you noticed the rough idle when u first started it in the morning ??

anyways, a full tune up should do it, maybe reset the ecu

Old 02-13-2008, 06:42 AM

Thanks... I know what the choke does, and I ran it with choke on for a while without noticing, but it still didn't give me any problems until I ended up filling up the tank with gas... as soon as I filled it up, thats when it started giving me problems...

dkutin: I know what you're talking about...It's a 04 636...and the problem is that it feels drowned and has a hard time steadily idling...

I will give it a complete tune up and then fill up tank and give fuel injector cleaner... I think this should do the trick.

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM
2WheelsFTW

prob fouled the plugs, you'll be replacing them in your full tune up soon anyways right?

dont let your friends touch your bike btw.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:50 AM

Yeah...I'll b replacing them anyways.

Yup I'm pretty pissed off at my friends...they all think they "know" about bikes and this makes them have the right to touch mine, even if I'm not around. I'm getting even more strict on this though, and I will make them understand this phrase: "Don't f-ing touch my bike"...