Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

how long is to long? help help!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how long is to long? help help!

so here is the deal every one. i am thinking about buying a friends bike. the bike has been sitting for about 6 months with out being started. maybe a lil bit longer. and i am wondering if this is a problem. should i still buy it? or should i stay away from it?any feed back will help!!!
IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS please contact me. via
also email for pics.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Thread TERRORIST

Change the fluids. Change the gas. Change the spark plugs. Put grease on anything that needs it, inspect the chain to see if its needs to be replaced if it has a chain. Start the fucker up and ride away.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:09 PM

done n done
Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 AM
International

I have to agree with BAMF, those are all good preventive maintenence pionts to cover. The only thing I would be worried about is the clutch. You didn't state what kind of bike it is but if it has a wet clutch, which most bikes do, the oil has a tendency to break down the clutch. Still an easy fix in most cases...

Also be sure to check tire pressure and condition.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 AM
owns a $10,000 unicycle!

yea....6 months really inst that long i'd give the fuel tank a fill up and maybe flush it and refill it and change all the fluids like bamf said....whay has it been sitting? gotta think about that too.....i wouldnt be worried about the clutch too much ,the parts are cheap and just about any idiot can do a clutch in less than an hour.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 AM
woot

wat year bike, and where was it sitting ?

if its newer it could just need a few flushes and start right up, and older one might be kinda hard

Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 AM
2WheelsFTW

what bike is it firstly, has it been wrecked? why is your buddy selling it? is his price too good to be true? anything that YOU can see that is wrong with the bike? how are the tires, are they flat spotted from sitting so long? change all the fluids, do some homework on the bike before you actually buy it, see if you can test ride it if it will even run after you change the gas/oil ect ect. you're prob going to have to replace the battery as well
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 AM

ok thanks for al the help. it is a 2004 cbr f4i. it has been sitting in side a garage. tires are not flat. she told me it needed a new battery. thats all. she just has not cared enough to put a new one in. i would be able to test drive it, so i will do that for sure. i will change the fluids and plugs. i have never really worked on a bike, is a clutch really that easy?

one other concern i had is once i start it up and test drive it. is there any chnace problems my come down the road from it sitting?
IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS please contact me. via
also email for pics.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 AM
2WheelsFTW

ive never done a clutch, but if its just the plates that are fried/warped all you do is drain the oil and replace the clutch plates which are easy to get to on a bike..
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Thread TERRORIST

Originally Posted by labkreationz
one other concern i had is once i start it up and test drive it. is there any chnace problems my come down the road from it sitting?
Absolutely, depending on the conditions its been in while sitting. Consider that in the price you pay for the bike.

"They were crying when their sons left, God is wearing black. Hes gone so far to find no hope, hes never coming back. They were crying when their sons left, all young men must go. Hes come so far to find the truth hes never going home."

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote