Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

opinions on ninja 250

Old 04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on ninja 250

so i was looking at kawasaki ninja 250's online and was considering getting one. so i was looking at pricing, and it seems they holy their value pretty well, considering their cheap as it is ($2,999 MSRP), and 04-05's are selling for around 2200. So i went to the dealership, and it comes with a 1 year factory warranty, and i thought it would be nice for a first bike. It was VERY lightweight, and he said it would get an average of 70-80 miles per gallon. Does any one have any opinions on whether these are good bikes or not? I dont wanna hear get a 1000 like some stupid fuck already said to me, as its my first bike and would be for basically cruising around and going to work. But if you have one please give some advice/comments/complaints, if your just gonna be stupid DONT post. thanks guys
Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 AM
you think I care....why?

You will get tired of it fast. It is sorta like riding a scooter.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:33 AM

get a 1k

j/k

its really up to you on how you feel, the 250 is very lightweight and under powered, but do you feel that this is the right bike for you? I say go with a 600, you are the one on the bike you control your wrist, just cause you have power underneath you dont mean you have to use it, but its there if need be.
plus like what Spydergirl said, you will get tired of it quickly, you wont find just anyone to buy it, they hold their values pretty good, but how many do you see out on the road. alot of people buy them, ride them a few months and then want to upgrade, as you will probably want the same thing.
parts will be more available for a 600, tires on a 250 limit you to you riding ability( lean angle), you can learn to ride a bike and keep it for a few years instead of constantly changing you mind /bike and having to learn to ride a new bike all over

'04 GSXR 750
I'm so far behind, I think I'm first

need tires (take offs)? PM me
need a deal on a track day? PM me

disclaimer: I sell used tires (take-offs), these tires have been used at Jennings, Homestead, etc. (road courses for those that dont know) therefor these tires are more used up on the sides than in the middle,
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 AM
you think I care....why?

Originally Posted by wolfey971
get a 1k

j/k

its really up to you on how you feel, the 250 is very lightweight and under powered, but do you feel that this is the right bike for you? I say go with a 600, you are the one on the bike you control your wrist, just cause you have power underneath you dont mean you have to use it, but its there if need be.
plus like what Spydergirl said, you will get tired of it quickly, you wont find just anyone to buy it, they hold their values pretty good, but how many do you see out on the road. alot of people buy them, ride them a few months and then want to upgrade, as you will probably want the same thing.
parts will be more available for a 600, tires on a 250 limit you to you riding ability( lean angle), you can learn to ride a bike and keep it for a few years instead of constantly changing you mind /bike and having to learn to ride a new bike all over
Agreed.......a 600 is a perfect first bike. That is what I started on. I did ride a 250 and the difference is amazing. I also dropped the 250 when I got off it because it is so light. If you know someone with a 250 try it then try a 600. You will see what we are talking about.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Rojya Productions

I've had one for a little over a month and almost put 3000 miles on it and i'm not tired of it yet. Personal preference i guess ... i've rode with a few other groups so far and i was the only 250, only bike under 600. In the corners i kept up with the faster riders just fine, they were surprised when i pulled up 5 seconds behind them to a stop sign 1/2 mile outside of the corners we were riding through. And i get almost 80mpg commuting in town to work, 70 on the highway. I've rode all the way to Tampa on I75 (from Ft. Myers where i live). It was brutal but it was my first long drive on the highway on a motorcycle as well, so i think if i do it more i'd get more comfortable with it. I was going 80-85 mph as the speedo says but i think it's not that accurate cause i passed one of those police sign things that say your speed and i was doing 55 on the speedo and it showed 45, i was the only person approaching it at the time, maybe that thing is off too but i still don't trust my speedo (my car one is off as well, my GPS reads 7-10 mph under what the speedo says).

But anyhow, if you think you'll outgrow it then get an older 600. If not i'd recommend getting an older 250, just a couple years like you said and they're like $2000 with under 5000 miles on them in some cases. Buying new isn't worth all the extra money you'll loose when you go to sell it ... since i'll be keeping mine even if i get a bigger bike i don't really care cause to me it's worth the money i spent, even if i could've got a bigger used bike for the same price.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Ink
Changes names a lot.

thanks guys for the advice. i really want to get this because of reliability (since its new and will be under warranty), and because its a light bike. its also the only bike i have sat on, and had both feet flat on the ground. plus im not sure what bike to look at in my price range. another thing is im 17, so i cant take out a loan on a new bike, and most people wouldn't trust a person my age with payments i dont think. but thanks again for the advice, keep it coming. also the bike wouldnt be a daily rider, just nice days and to work here and there.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM

riding by yourself i guess it would be ok. But riding with a group..... good luck keeping up.

A friend of mines brother just got one and he get pissed because he cant keep up.

imo start on a 600.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Rojya Productions

Originally Posted by LS1ETR
riding by yourself i guess it would be ok. But riding with a group..... good luck keeping up.

A friend of mines brother just got one and he get pissed because he cant keep up.

imo start on a 600.
I've rode with groups and i keep up fine and i'm a n00b. If you're riding with a group on a highway then maybe if they're all doin 110+ around traffic but what new rider would want to do that?
Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Rojya Productions

Originally Posted by 95tegra
thanks guys for the advice. i really want to get this because of reliability (since its new and will be under warranty), and because its a light bike. its also the only bike i have sat on, and had both feet flat on the ground. plus im not sure what bike to look at in my price range. another thing is im 17, so i cant take out a loan on a new bike, and most people wouldn't trust a person my age with payments i dont think. but thanks again for the advice, keep it coming. also the bike wouldnt be a daily rider, just nice days and to work here and there.
I'd be glad to see you get one, another plus is insurance. I quoted full insurance (including UM 250k/500k) from Geico and it's only like $120 a month. I'm 18 and i also got financing (almost 19 though and i've had 2 credit cards for almost a year and never did anything bad with them). And yea, it was the only stock height bike i sat on that i could reach the ground with both feet and the lightness made me feel more confident.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:42 PM
woot

250's are like doing a fat chick, they are fun till your friends see you.