Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

running probs with 93 F2

Old 12-20-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running probs with 93 F2

anybody know anything about the CDI on these bikes cause, i dont know the first thing about bikes, i Just work on cars lol

like what are common probs that would indicate a bad cdi

i know first off i definatly need to tune this up and throw some new plugs in it, and rebuild the carbs but see heres the thing.

It wont really start at all when its cold i mean i can crank it on the button but it doesnt seem like it really wants to fire.

I can push start the damn thing like 3 or 4 times and it will finally start but ill have to keep riding it around and holding the idle up till it gets warm. and once its fully warmed up it seems to run gr8, and i mean it will even fire on the button its really something that i cant diagnose til i fix the obvious problems

I have been told by a friend that it may be a CDI but im not sure cause barney's wants just under 600 for it so i want to be certain before hand

any help would be greatly appreciated

TR's Tactical Trunk Monkey Crew #001
Midgets and Beer!!!
the book of faces
Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Now with less suck

If it runs well once it's warm then I'd scratch the CDI off the list right away. You already know that you need to clean the carbs and replace the plugs, do that first, and maybe replace/clean the air filter while you're at it. Then have the carbs balanced and see where you're at. My guess is that it'll be so much better you'll forget all about the CDI question. If it still seems rough after that and the plug wires haven't been recently replaced, do that before you start looking into a CDI issue.

Starting/running issues especially on older/neglected bikes are typically going to be related to carburetion.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:44 PM

thats what i figured, thanks man

Midgets and Beer!!!
the book of faces
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

don't take this the wrong way but you do know it has a chock right?

also carbed bike tend to run like crap when going from summer to winter. atleast mine do anyways, i just had to lean one out (in)2 turns and richen the other up 1 1/2 turns. no clue why each one liked something different but they did. both run much better when cold now. once warmed up, they run about the same, and i was only tuning idle anyways.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 PM

ahahahahahahaha, i laughed so hard i just pissed myself

anyways on a serious note, nothing to do with a weather issue or it just randomly started doing this, it's a bike i just bought and i am repairing.

Unfortunatly i am ill equipped knowledge-wise when it comes to motorcycles

im gr8 with cars seeing as how ive been in shops since i was 15 but motorcycles im clueless go figure. and as for tuning the carbs, yeah not my specialty

Midgets and Beer!!!
the book of faces
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Originally Posted by WHY_NOT???
ahahahahahahaha, i laughed so hard i just pissed myself

anyways on a serious note, nothing to do with a weather issue or it just randomly started doing this, it's a bike i just bought and i am repairing.

Unfortunatly i am ill equipped knowledge-wise when it comes to motorcycles

im gr8 with cars seeing as how ive been in shops since i was 15 but motorcycles im clueless go figure. and as for tuning the carbs, yeah not my specialty

just buy a book for your bike... they are way easier than working on cars. just a little different. but it will all make sence when you read up on it.

ok so i have to ask what was so funny? the sig?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 AM

carb clean, replace plugs and caps, sync ur carbs and u will proably have fixed it, it could be the cdi box cause when heat increases resistance decreases but thats proably not it thats proably y ur buddie told u that..besides its a honda it will never die!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 PM

ok i just cleaned the hell out of them and they are flowing fine now

it trys sooo hard but just cant do it

anybody have a cdi handy to let me test out to see if it is the problem i will gladly pay someone to just come to my house and let me slap it on afor like a half hour and see if it helps. or anybody have one for sale?

cuz barneys wants 500 bucks and i would liek to do everything i can before hand

Midgets and Beer!!!
the book of faces
Old 12-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Now with less suck

After cleaning them, did you set the carbs to factory defaults? I ask because I recently helped with a 99 GSXR 600 that would fall on it's face at about 9500 RPM. Using the factory service manual (which we downloaded off the net) we found that the carbs used different main jets in 2 of the carbs. The previous owner had swapped the jets in two of the carburetors. We cleaned them, got the jet placement correct and then set all screws to the factory defaults as indicated by the manual. The bike ran MUCH better after that, with just a slight hesitation at 11,500 RPM. Balanced the carbs and it runs perfectly now.

If you haven't done everything you can to get the adjustment right on the carburetors, I still think it's premature to go after the CDI. Of course if you can find someone to loan you a known good one long enough to check it out, there's no harm in it.

Good Luck, be persistent and you'll get it right.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:40 AM

well see thats the thing i know absolutely dick about carbs

but after getting it running last night im just gonna spend the money and rebuild em, jet em, and have em re synced and done the proper way on a flow bench

cuz honestly once u get the thing started its gr8 just i dont wanna have to pushstart like 40 feet eight different times just to get the thing running lol

Midgets and Beer!!!
the book of faces