Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Power Commander: How much does it do and is it necessary?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Wears holes in knee pucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander: How much does it do and is it necessary?

Power Commander: How much does it do and is it necessary if I only have a slip on exhaust and maybe an air filter?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Custom User Title

I don't believe in them - unless you are getting after market parts - from what I have seen they are worth the three hundred dollars.....

Be sure to get it custom mapped though.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

go have your bike dynoed... if the A/F is higher than 13:1 anywhere across the board then you need one, or it may hurt the bike.

if not, then its up to you if the money is worth the few hp a good tuner can get out of your bike with one.

oh and it sounds like someone got a new bike.... what is it?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Dragging Plastics

With a full exhaust I think they are a great thing. With just a slip on and airfilter, it wont be worth the money. Buy some brake lines or do a track day with the money.
Do you have to argue over stupid pointless shit on the Internet?
Old 12-20-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by ???
go have your bike dynoed... if the A/F is higher than 13:1 anywhere across the board then you need one, or it may hurt the bike.

if not, then its up to you if the money is worth the few hp a good tuner can get out of your bike with one.

oh and it sounds like someone got a new bike.... what is it?
I am leaning towards an 06 GSXR 750. Some of the "barely used" bikes I've seen have the power comander, so I didn't know if it was a limited use/rice mod or something that is truly necessary and if so at what mod point?

I don't really care to mod the bike beyond a slip on, but if I acquire one with more mods or I end up modding myself, I don't want to waste money on needless parts.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Dragging Plastics

Originally Posted by Green Goblin
I am leaning towards an 06 GSXR 750. Some of the "barely used" bikes I've seen have the power comander, so I didn't know if it was a limited use/rice mod or something that is truly necessary and if so at what mod point?

I don't really care to mod the bike beyond a slip on, but if I acquire one with more mods or I end up modding myself, I don't want to waste money on needless parts.
Anything short of a full exhaust they wont do a whole lot for you. I'm sure some people will argue that point though.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by DogBoneR1
Anything short of a full exhaust they wont do a whole lot for you. I'm sure some people will argue that point though.
Thanks! Just the info I was looking for!

How's your 750 doing? Any issues with dying while in corners or riding around?
Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Everything I have read about them is that they don't really add a great deal of hp overall, however, most people say that the improvement in throttle response and in the smoothness of the bike's acceleration after installation are more then worth the money.

With most things, the more mods you have, the more your hp gains will be. I am sure you will see/feel a difference if you were to get one, even if it's just a slip-on and an air filter.

I am pretty sure you can get one for around $250 at several online retailers and even cheaper on Ebay.

As far as a GSX-R 750 is concerned, my buddy has an '05 750 and he put a PCIII on it and he said its like having a new bike. He was thrilled.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Dragging Plastics

Originally Posted by Green Goblin
Thanks! Just the info I was looking for!

How's your 750 doing? Any issues with dying while in corners or riding around?
Nah! My 750 rides out hard. I modified the stock velocity stacks and air filter, put a slip on on it and R1 throttle tube.

The power gains from the velocity stack mod alone was amazing. I still dont think I need a Power Commander though.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by DogBoneR1
Nah! My 750 rides out hard. I modified the stock velocity stacks and air filter, put a slip on on it and R1 throttle tube.

The power gains from the velocity stack mod alone was amazing. I still dont think I need a Power Commander though.
What is an R1 throttle tube?

What did you do to the stock velocity stacks?