Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

suspension

Old 08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
you know

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension

so lately i have been seeing more n more people lower their bike in the front by sliding the forks through the triple clamp i have heard some say its bad and causes lots of problem but then others say its harmless.....whats the deal

Throttle til you see God, then BRAKE LIKE HELL!

*motorcycles are a balance between trust and physics. you just have to trust that your tires will work, and hope the 10 little asian guys that designed the bike got an A+ in physics
Old 08-12-2006, 08:32 PM
you know

anyone want to give some knowledge to this???

Throttle til you see God, then BRAKE LIKE HELL!

*motorcycles are a balance between trust and physics. you just have to trust that your tires will work, and hope the 10 little asian guys that designed the bike got an A+ in physics
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Mofongo Expert!

Well... I been around to have seen many people do this...

I would say that the majority of the people I have encountered doing this do it for a) looks or b) keep the bike from wheeling on a hard launch. Most of these people lower it as much as possible...

Lowering the front will change the characteristics of how the bike enters into a corner. If you want to experiment, I would recommend increments of 5mm at a time in between tests if you are looking to see if you like the results of lowering the front... but not on every bikes is there anything to gain from this...

I have my front end lowered 11mm at the moment, and it helped my bike gain more front end feedback without a front end suspension overhaul...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

Helps the bike turn in quicker. Just like more toe out on the front of a car. It does take away from some handling things though, but you give, you get.

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Dragging Plastics

Keep in mind the more weight you put on the front of the bike (by lowering it) the less weight you'll have on the rear. This could result in the rear end sliding out alittle easier. Especially during trail braking.

But to answer the question, you wont hurt your bike any by lowering it. Unless ofcourse it's so low you take your lower fairing out on a speed bump.
Do you have to argue over stupid pointless shit on the Internet?
Old 08-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Resident Ginger Kid...

i hate when this shit comes up.... for everyday street driving its not different from a stock height bike to a lowered bike... i have a 04 gsxr 750 slammed 2-1/2 inches up front and 3 out back...i can hang with all my friends and even out ride some of them with the bike lowered. unless you drag knee on your bike stock youll never no the diff... i like mine better lowered bc it looks better and i can launch like theres no other for a stock wheel base bike...it changes no geometrics of the way the front suspension works, the rear altho will get stiffer due to the increased angle of attack on the rear shock and mount... AND if you do one wrong wheelie you will slam your plastics and crack them... the end