Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

lean or rich?

Old 08-02-2006, 06:02 PM
81 cb650 c rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean or rich?

ok well i have a 81 honda cb650 c yep old cutta! and i want to try and figure out if im running rich or lean on this thing. if i try and hammer on it and bring the rpms up to redline (9500) first gear it gets kinda choppy at about 8500 and a lil lower in each gear. im thinking rich but im kind of new to the carberated world.

thanks for any help you can provide me
Old 08-02-2006, 09:03 PM

Pull the spark plugs and take a look at 'em. Won't tell you where in the RPM range you are running rich or lean, but would be a good overall indicator. Black and sooty means rich. White means lean. A nice tan/brown means close to perfect.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

9 times out of 10 if its breaking up its lean...

for rich to cause it, you'd be pooring black smoke as soon as you hit it.

best way is a wide band o2.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:32 AM

hrrmm, i was gonna say rich, only cause that is the way a two stoke acts when it is rich, but then again we arent riding two stroke powered streetbikes are we. hmmm, 600cc two-stroke anyone?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:18 AM
Banned

That's lean. How is the motor setup? Stock? Aftermarket pipes? New air filter? No airbox at all? I'm actually pretty handy when it comes to Honda carburetors.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM

Rich and lean can both look and sound the same. Quit chasing your tail and put it on a Dyno with Air/fuel meter. And it may not even be the carbs, could be timing, plugs, wires, coils.....etc. Air/fuel it to either rule out or confirm carb issue and then go from there.......carbs sux, well that is how they work

If you can Turn you are not going Fast Enough!

Originally Posted by Raybo
I'm not a loser, I'm just incarcerated.
Originally Posted by Treysdad
Tell me about it. Sometimes i get this abrasion just under the head, liek a friction rash. All day it will feel like there is a Mexican midget in my boxers licking it with a cats tongue.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:33 AM

spend 200 dollars to dyno it? I would think consult with a dealer or someone who knows their shit and remove teh stock jets. replace with a leaner or richer jet and go play. If its worse you went the wrong direction, if its right your golden. Some should have a ballpark fidure of what size jets should be in it.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:15 AM
Banned

80's Honda carbs are notorious for clogging in the main jets, especially if they sit. Coincidentally, their carburetors are so simple, that you can literally rebuild them with a screwdriver. Spending more money on a dyno than the book value of the bike is stupid. Be lazy, dump a 1/4 bottle of carb cleaner in the tank and see if it clears up before you turn a wrench.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:17 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

ummm guys.. a dyno pull is like 30$.

u only need one to tell you were your at.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:10 AM

oh yeah, true i was thinking 200 for a tune on the dyno haha. Where was this bike located and ridden before you got hold of it? My guess would be the carbs are just gunked up. I cant imagine it rode like that its entire life. Do like Frank said, if no good, then either dyno or pull carbs and rebuild/clean them.