Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Tire wear questions

Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear questions

I recently went on this Vero beach ride.

The tire developed a wear spot in the middle of the tire.
The tire had about 38 psi.
Riding yestersday I felt the rear get a little squirrley on me,on turns.

1)Should I run some hard twisties or the clover to try to kill down this wear spot,or will it even help?

2)I was told to drop the air temp some.

3)Or am I screwed and just be ready to get a new tire.
Tire plan from the dealer will come into play soon
Michelin Pilots

Do you want to be tazed?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

ummm riding in a stright line kills the center of your tire.. there is no way to replace this rubber.. new tire for you.

the tire plan i have doesn't cover wear only nails and shit. the tire has to have more than 3/32 depth in the center for them to cover it.

do not ride hard on bald tires, you will crash.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:46 PM

That wear strip you are talking about is affectionately refered to as a "chicken strip" or "chicken stripe". People like to make fun of it because it means you are not cornering, or at least not corning quickly and accelerating hard out of the corners, but if you ask me, it is almost impossible to avoid if you ride on the street. After all, there are only so many corners you can safely take quickly, most street riding is in traffic and moving in a straight line, not to mention wheelies and/or burn outs will wear away that center rubber REAL quick. I would not worry about it too much if I were you, I don't think I have ever seen a street bike that did not have a chicken strip to one extent or another. I am sure others will disagree.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Professional Asshole

this is where u do a burn out till it pops, than u take the rim off bring it to the dealership and get a new one )atleast thats how i do it b/c i'm gonna use every bit of that tire. just kidding a new rim costs to much if u mess it up.

Aim and Yahoo- Inkedupordie

Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Get Down-Or-Stay Down

Originally Posted by dkutin
That wear strip you are talking about is affectionately refered to as a "chicken strip" or "chicken stripe". People like to make fun of it because it means you are not cornering, or at least not corning quickly and accelerating hard out of the corners, but if you ask me, it is almost impossible to avoid if you ride on the street. After all, there are only so many corners you can safely take quickly, most street riding is in traffic and moving in a straight line, not to mention wheelies and/or burn outs will wear away that center rubber REAL quick. I would not worry about it too much if I were you, I don't think I have ever seen a street bike that did not have a chicken strip to one extent or another. I am sure others will disagree.

actually its not a chicken strip.
Its just a flat spot in the tire that took a long straight ride.

Im going to have to gauge the tire,if its ABOVE 3/32 then im fine to put a nail in it and get a tire.

But I want to get a Pilot.Which means softer tire and this will happen again

Do you want to be tazed?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:34 AM
grippin grain

I would avoid the twisties on that tire... put a nail in that bitch and get some pilot powers.

GO GATORS

Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 AM
PSSHHH x2

they will probably pro rate the tire dept..when they do make sure they measure the left, center and right and take the average depth for the pro rating. so this means get ready to spend some money anyways.

as for the tire...it shouldnt affect your turning, when your laid over, that part shouldnt be on the road. only way i could see it affecting you is if the tire was seperating. and to whoever wrote the damn essay on chicken strips...why? it answered nothing...it reminded me of billy madison, and his long drawn out answer that sounded good, but was utterly pointless.

anywho, i run a pilot road on the rear and power up front, and it has held very well in turns and has held up to alot of interstate riding too. ive just clicked over 4k miles with the rear and still A LOT of tire left...so if your not out every weekend through twisties hard, i would say go with something that has a little harder compound, atleast in the center section.
Brocks megaphone
Spencercycle 10" swingarm
MPS auto shifter
Hays convertible clutch

Yea, that about sums it up...

Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 AM
gone fishin

Originally Posted by MattC
this is where u do a burn out till it pops, than u take the rim off bring it to the dealership and get a new one
Exibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Sneakin Deacon
and to whoever wrote the damn essay on chicken strips...why? it answered nothing...it reminded me of billy madison, and his long drawn out answer that sounded good, but was utterly pointless.
hahaha +1

and to clarify he said that chicken strips meant he was not cornering enough or accelerated fast enough through the turn.... ummm negative. It means that the person does not lean the bike over, anyone could do turns all damn day and still end up with chicken strips.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:47 AM

That squirlly feeling is just the transistion the from the flat spot of the tire to the rounder profile of the tire. Once leaned over it should be stable.

If you plan on doing more of these long distance and straightline rides you may want to invest in some touring tires. Or maybe even get a spare rim so you can change the rear with a harder compound tire.

Major props to Divine Sounds, Wheel Tec and Melilli Moto.