Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Confused

Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused

as we all may know im the broke dick here that has the wrecked zx6r that in very slowly putting back together. but with the death of a good friend im really second guessing myself. what should i do im confused. i really miss rideing but at the same time i dont wanna be added to the biker down thread. dont get me wrong i learned from my mistakes and from being on this forum for a lil while i have learned from others. i know i will i smarter in my decisions. but its the other assholes with 4 wheels also who is the blame. please comment im confused

[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-11-2006, 06:51 PM

nice choice of words

[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
The Teach

Brother you can't beat yourself up over this. Things are going to happen. Yes, riding on a motorcycle is not as safe as traveling in a car. The sensations though don't even compare. Just think of all of the things that you love about riding bikes. I have thought of this same issue. You have to live your life, you can't be afraid of what ifs, and maybes. Just try to prepare for the worst at all times. When riding look far ahead, scan the roads for objects and cars. Try to anticipate what other people are going to do. Take only calculated risks. Now you can't live your life in a bubble, you can't protect yourself from everything. Tomorrow god forbid you can have a brain anorism and drop dead right where you are at. In my opinion life is not worth living if you can not do things that you enjoy doing. I hope this helps.....never make any quick rash decisions.

2010 Yamaha R1 Rossi Special Edition

Old 06-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

Ride safe, ride smart, and enjoy the ride.

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:27 PM
They call me Buz...

I can only echo the words of those who have spoken before me. You only have one life, live it to the fullest. Ride safe and with caution, but as the same time, enjoy it. If you do everything you can, when you can, then if it's your time, so be it. Live life for today...

2004 GSXR 750 - Yosh CF RS3 bolt-on, -1 front, DID, Watsen Design flush mounts, LP rear LEDs, Vortex frame sliders, Blue Puig DB, Pirelli Diablos

"Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Old 06-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Now with less suck

I'll be the other side of this argument for you, just to keep it balanced. If your confidence is so badly shaken, maybe it's for a good reason. Perhaps you could re-enter the sport is a less "risky" manner. If you haven't spent much time riding in the dirt, it's one of the best ways to build your skills and to ride in a relatively safe environment. The price of mistakes is almost always lower in the dirt. Which is not to say that you won't get hurt there. I've shattered a couple fingertips on my left hand at Croom.

I guess my point is that if you're not fully comfortable with the risks associated with street riding there are alternatives other than simply not riding anymore. I don't know your experience level but if you didn't start in the dirt to begin with, spending a year or so there before you take to the street again is worth your consideration.

Track days, while expensive, also offer a much safer environment for learning your machine's limitations. I've found that since I went to Jennings, I don't trust the surface while street riding near as much as I did before I went to the track. This causes me to leave a pretty big cushion in terms of grip while riding on the street. I also learned that given a halfway decent surface, my bike will allow me to get away with lean angles that I never would have thought possible without track experience. This provides the confidence needed to lean harder when I'm suddenly worried that I might not make the turn I'm in.

If you're conflicted about what to do next, don't blow it off. Take the time to really consider your options. If you go back to the street before you're ready, you could be asking for trouble. An important part of of being a mature street rider is making the fully conscious decision to accept the risks involved.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Wears holes in knee pucks

Originally Posted by nunyo
IPerhaps you could re-enter the sport is a less "risky" manner. If you haven't spent much time riding in the dirt, it's one of the best ways to build your skills and to ride in a relatively safe environment. The price of mistakes is almost always lower in the dirt. Which is not to say that you won't get hurt there.
Excellent advice. I think about posting this idea almost everytime I see a new person interested in riding, but I feel like if I did, all you guys would see is a broken record player.

I grew up riding dirt bikes years before I could attain a drivers license and I swore for years that I would never get a street bike because of the increased risks, but I finally broke down and acquired one in a trade.

I know probably no one will take this advice, but if I had a close friend interested in learning to ride, I'd make him/her learn on the dirt first to get all the necessary basic skills/confidence before tackeling the trecherous streets. I'd insist on countless hours of seat time for their safety, not because its cool, but because I care.

I don't doubt that many people learned only from the street and are fine riders. And I'm sure there will be flack thrown my way for my opinion... but to me, it only makes sense that the less risks thrown at inexperienced riders the better and safer things will be.

Making a mistake in the dirt can be much less costly than making a mistake on a freeway or busy road.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm Bored

the words spoken on this thread are probly the most helpful advice to be giving out.

just to add my 2 cents.
you cant chose how/when your going to die, but you can choose how to live.
so by that, live life to the fullest within your limits, i dont want to be 80 on my death bed wishing i did anything, i want to be able to look back, and say"That Was Fun"
PUŅETA CABRONES FEDERALES HIJOS DE LA PUTA MADRE Q LOS PARIO USTEDES
SON UNA ENFERMEDAD NISIQUIERA MERECEN SER LLAMADOS HUMANOS SON UNAS
MISERABLES CUCARACHAR Q NO SABEN Q CARAJO ACER CON SU PUTA VIDA.. YO
LES TENGO UN CONSEJO... AMARENSE UNA SOGA A LAS BOLAS Y TIRENSE DE UN
PUENTE CABRONES
Old 06-11-2006, 09:54 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Originally Posted by airmanhoward
as we all may know im the broke dick here that has the wrecked zx6r that in very slowly putting back together. but with the death of a good friend im really second guessing myself. what should i do im confused. i really miss rideing but at the same time i dont wanna be added to the biker down thread. dont get me wrong i learned from my mistakes and from being on this forum for a lil while i have learned from others. i know i will i smarter in my decisions. but its the other assholes with 4 wheels also who is the blame. please comment im confused

my answer is this...

if your asking yourself these questions then you shouldn't be on a bike...

if you don't feel riding is worth dying over then it is not..