Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Dragbike.com Rides th ZX-14

Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragbike.com Rides th ZX-14

Check out Dragbike.com recent test ride on the ZX-14. Pay attention to Ryan Schnitz's run on a stapped lowered one went 9.14 @ 153 at 3500 ft altitude. Damn!

ZX-14 World Press Introduction
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 Dragbike.com StaffRide along with us as we attend the World Press Introduction of the all new 2006 Kawasaki ZX-14.

Dragbike.com (Scott Valetti & Brock Davidson) heads to Las Vegas to get a first hand look at the ZX-14 on February 27th & 28th. While we are on our trip, we will be bringing you up to speed on the ZX-14 in the timely manner allowed as a web-based information source. We will be testing the bike at the Strip and on the road course. As we’re sure the ZX-14 will hold it’s own on the road, we are more interested in how it handles itself on the drag strip from the perspective of a Sportbike drag race enthusiast.

For us at Dragbike.com, the introduction of the Kawasaki ZX-14 is one of the biggest deals since Suzuki introduced the mighty GSX1300R Hayabusa in 1999. Does the ZX-14 have what it takes to knock off the long reigning Hayabusa in the motorcycle drag racing world?

We have some questions that we want to have answered:
  • What kind of ET will the ZX-14 produce in stock trim for the average rider?
  • What kind of MPH will the ZX-14 produce in stock trim?
  • Is the power delivery user-friendly at the strip, or are minor rider mistakes rewarded with very poor E.T’s?
  • Does the clutch feel rider friendly?
  • Will the clutch and associated components hold up to repeated hard launches at the drag strip?
  • Is basic maintenance easily performed i.e. oil changes, spark plugs, etc? Are there any “race features” built in i.e. programmable shift light, etc?
  • Is the stock ECU re-programmable from the factory or must the aftermarket world be relied upon exclusively?
  • How "buildable" is the engine for normally aspirated applications?
  • What type of platform has Kawasaki given us as a basis for extremely powerful drag race machines?
  • And of course…is there room for a nitrous bottle?!
Throughout the day as we are putting the ZX-14 to the test, we will be delivering you updates so check back often for the latest!

February 27th, 2006

In late 1998 the buzz in the motorcycle race community was that Suzuki was going to unveil a bike SO FAST that all of the other so called “fast” bikes would become obsolete overnight. Rumor had it that this motorcycle was named after a Japanese bird capable of diving at speeds close to 200 MPH--because the bike could run 200 MPH?!

I, personally, did not believe the hype too much. I had been drag racing each year’s newest Suzuki sportbike since purchasing my Katana in 1982. The brightest drag racers knew that Suzuki’s conservative attitude led to some of the most de-tuned large displacement motorcycles on the market; BUT, if properly equipped with the appropriate aftermarket goodies to UN-strangle the engine, Suzuki had the quickest and fastest machines money could buy to traverse the 1320’ in street trim.

I was fortunate enough to have American Suzuki’s support for my AMA/Prostar Drag race team at the time. I was “the Suzuki guy” at the Prostar races and distinctly remember being barraged with questions about the motorcycle with a name most people couldn’t correctly pronounce. After the drag races that kicked off Bike Week 1999, I was invited to attend the Daytona 200 and other festivities by my Suzuki contact.

Over dinner, I explained my experience over the excitement revolving around the new mystery machine and that I had no idea what to tell people who asked how fast it was. Surprisingly enough, my contact was one of the few who had actually ridden a prototype version. GREAT! How fast is it? I’ll never forget what he said:

‘Brock, the new Hayabusa pulls away from a ZX-11 like a 750 pulls away from a 600. It isn’t even a race.’

After such a lengthy opening into our first day of riding the new ZX-14 Kawasaki, I’m sure you are wondering if the 600/750 scenario is playing out here in Vegas. The answer is - ALMOST!

The Hayabusa is a DAMN FAST motorcycle which has rewritten every two wheeled acceleration record on the books. For Kawasaki to target this machine AT ALL takes courage, especially after the failure of the ZX-12R which was unable to get the job done. You might also want to consider that NO other motorcycle manufacturer has really even attempted to seriously challenge the Busa’s supremacy in the unlimited market. An additional item of note would include the fact that the ZX-14 has only 54cc’s larger displacement than a Busa, 1352cc to 1298cc’s respectively. The ZX-11’s 246 cc handicap to the Busa really wasn’t very comparable.

I am very pleased, as a brute performance enthusiast, to say that Kawasaki picked itself up and came out “barrels blazing” with the new ZX-14. In addition to grotesque amounts of horsepower and torque, the gentlemen at Kawasaki attacked other issues as well including comfort, style, handling, low speed agility, high speed stability and many others. But, my personal favorite is their concentration on acceleration from a DEAD STOP.

Scott Valetti and I promised to seek out answers to the questions we wanted answered about this bike from a sportbike drag racer’s point of view. We will find those answers in detail throughout the introduction and after we have the chance to really think about the ZX-14 from every aspect in which we have been introduced.

Here is a brief summary of today’s events:
Brock was able to make about a dozen drag strip passes today in addition to 10 laps around the banked 1.5 mile tri-oval at Las Vegas Motor Speedway EXACTLY as the bikes would be driven off of the showroom floor. Now I am not trying to make any excuses, but there is a reason I had not ridden a stock height, un-strapped or lowered big power bike in 10 years or so at the drag strip…it’s embarrassing! I was able to log the quickest and fastest time out of our “Team Torque” group with a 10.18@142.46 MPH. This is the actual E.T. and MPH in measured conditions equating to 3500 feet above sea level.

That being said: there is nothing wrong with the ZX-14 that TAKING ME OFF OF IT would not cure! I did not ride the bike well at all, period. I have only made a handful of passes since mid 2004 when I injured my knee, and it showed. The bike would do anything I asked. I just kept asking at the wrong time and place on the track. My guess is that most halfway decent riders would jump into the nines with the simple addition of a front end lowering strap.

All four bikes at the strip ran identically and Rickey Gadson and Ryan Schnitz would jump one them every once in a while just to show the rest of us how bad we sucked. Rickey ran a 9.92@144MPH and Ryan threw down a 9.65@147MPH. Both of these current professionals have had AMPLE time to learn how to ride the bikes as tested, and this definitely showed. In the second session, a couple of journalists were able to break into the nines. One of the lighter sport riders cracked off a 9.90!

Also present was a strapped, lowered, and piped ZX-14 running something that smelled like VP Ultimate 4, you know - EXACTLY how a drag racer would show up at the drag strip the first day on their own personal ZX-14! They would not let us ride it, but Rickey jumped on and ran a 9.31@151MPH followed by Ryan’s stunning 9.14@153MPH. Remember, this was at a measured corrected altitude of over 3500 ft with an 8-10mph cross wind. I can see 9.0’s or even 8.90’s if Ryan rides this bike at Valdosta in the right conditions.

After I sulked away from the drag strip we headed back to the tower for some lunch. Scott was supposed to perform the oval track test but after hopping on the test bike, to his surprise, they were going on a street ride.

The “street” ride wasn’t a normal “street” ride; this was approximately a 100 mile trip up Hwy. 15 and through the back road twisties into the Valley of Fire National Park.

Brock took to the high banks of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway to sample the handling characteristics at high speed on the oval track while Scott sampled the street manners on a 3 hour street ride.

Stay tuned…there’s a lot more to come!

February 26th, 2006

The World Press Introduction of the all new Kawasaki ZX-14 is underway here in Las Vegas, Nevada, the gambling capitol of the world. In a town known for high stakes wagers and professional boxing, we at Dragbike.com must wonder if it is a coincidence that Kawasaki chose this particular spot on such a large planet to strap on the gloves and challenge: “The Current Unnn-Disputed Heavyweight CHAMPION of the WORLD”- The Suzuki HAYABUSA!!!

Hello, it’s me, Brock Davidson and the above is about as close as you are going to hear in the form of mainstream magazine gibberish from this racer-turned-temporary keyboard jockey. As always, I tell it like I see it with minimal dramatization and hype. I see what I see, and I feel what I feel and have no problem telling others about it, usually whether they want to hear it or not.

Now, if you are wondering…**NO** …I did not jump ship or turn on Suzuki in any way shape or form! I was simply invited by Dragbike.com to attend this introduction as a technical expert. I have based my company, Brock’s Performance Products, on supplying aftermarket performance products to the fastest Japanese motorcycles for years. As a recognized industry expert, who better to provide insight into the new ZX-14? At least that is the general idea as far as the staff of Dragbike.com is concerned.

Gamble is term thrown about loosely here in Vegas which usually relies HEAVILY upon luck. As a drag racer, I personally prefer to better the odds by betting on events or results in which I have some input. During the meet and greet in the hotel lounge followed by dinner with over 35 of the most respected moto-journalists in the industry, it’s obvious that Kawasaki also shares this philosophy.

After some brief words by key individuals involved in the creation of the new ZX-14, it is evident they feel they have the means to dethrone the current champ. The display of confidence and pride among the Kawasaki employees, especially the engineers and designers, was very strong. These fine folks believe they did their homework and are anxious to prove they have the product to back it up.

To me, one of the best indications of this self-assurance comes from the fact that DRAG STRIP testing is a MAJOR part of the introduction proceedings. Drag associated terms prevailed in the dining room during formal and informal conversation. It is obvious--these guys can’t wait until we get the new ZX-14 on the drag strip (or lie detector as I like to call it.) They have even altered the schedule of events to be sure the drag portion of the introduction goes on for all journalists on Monday, as poor weather is predicted for Tuesday. This means the drag strip is actually more important to them than the road/oval course. FINALLY!!! Priorities in a sequence we can appreciate!

Special Note: It was brought to my attention over dinner earlier that Rickey Gadson and Ryan Schnitz both had input on the addition of a built-in, programmable RPM activated LAUNCH LIGHT on the earlier “pilot” or pre-production versions of the ZX-14. Not only was it added to the production versions, but Kawasaki “fine tuned” the drag use only operation after top secret drag strip test sessions with both riders!

Should Hayabusa fans start trembling at Kawasaki’s pro-drag posture? Scott and I will keep you posted as we throw a leg over Kawasaki’s new ride and the testing unfolds at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Monday. Stay tuned…

If you can Turn you are not going Fast Enough!

Originally Posted by Raybo
I'm not a loser, I'm just incarcerated.
Originally Posted by Treysdad
Tell me about it. Sometimes i get this abrasion just under the head, liek a friction rash. All day it will feel like there is a Mexican midget in my boxers licking it with a cats tongue.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:18 PM
gone fishin

Cool article...

The Hayabusa is a DAMN FAST motorcycle which has rewritten every two wheeled acceleration record on the books. For Kawasaki to target this machine AT ALL takes courage, especially after the failure of the ZX-12R which was unable to get the job done. You might also want to consider that NO other motorcycle manufacturer has really even attempted to seriously challenge the Busa’s supremacy in the unlimited market.

“The Current Unnn-Disputed Heavyweight CHAMPION of the WORLD”- The Suzuki HAYABUSA!!!

Competeion is good... hope it's the real deal.

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)

Last edited by Cecil; 03-01-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 AM
clownin since 81'

zx-14 is a sweet bike, but its a butterface , is that a 9.14 all stock besides suspension?

Wiring is no hobby, call an Electrician.

myspace page

Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Ridin dirty

Good read.
New best time @ Jennings 1:25.4