Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Ram Air Test

Old 02-27-2006, 08:25 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air Test

Does it work? Pressurizing the airboxes of seven sportbikes on the dyno to see just how much horsepower ram air is worth.

http://sportrider.com/tech/146_9912_ram/
Old 02-28-2006, 05:13 AM
gone fishin

SUZUKI GSX1300R HAYABUSA:

Even though the Hayabusa posted median pressure numbers during our top-speed test and didn't build pressure beyond ambient until 145 mph, it's apparent that any internal-combustion motor benefits from ram-air induction. The reason the power curve is tailing off a bit around 9500 rpm is because the Suzuki's mondo engine was basically beginning to require more air than we could feed it at that point. It was the only motorcycle we ram-air-dynoed that left both compressors gasping for breath. And again, the Hayabusa suffered from leakage around the airbox/ram-air duct junctions, which possibly prevented it from posting higher numbers.

Summary: Air Is Good

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)
Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 AM

seems like a pointless study to me. The logic behind it says it will work. One thing that they should have done was calculate the airspeed entering the airbox to truly mimic the conditions on the street. The airbox isn't going to see 150mph air speeds entering it's airbox at 4,000rpms. what the hell I'm talking about really, but it sounds good.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:48 AM
???

Originally Posted by TNathe
seems like a pointless study to me. The logic behind it says it will work. One thing that they should have done was calculate the airspeed entering the airbox to truly mimic the conditions on the street. The airbox isn't going to see 150mph air speeds entering it's airbox at 4,000rpms. what the hell I'm talking about really, but it sounds good.

they did the best they could by measuring the pressure in the air box at speeds and then matching that and doing a dyno pull....just look at the peak then

just goes to show how off your custom map could be on the street. because they did it on a dyno while stopped. i bet its easily more than i point on the A/F ratio
Old 02-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

It doesn't matter the speed of the air coming in unless the air would be traveling directly into open throttle bodies rather than into an airbox first, I suppose. But I'm not sure if that's exactly how bikes are already cause I'm still learning about bike design. And there's no need to mimic air speed because it can be accurately represented by atmospheric pressure if it's entering a box that has to be pressurized first. What bike makers should do is mimic F1-style scoops where inside the scoop there's a venturi which speeds up the air already forced in, which at a specific point turns into boost on an NA motor. Damn raceteams with almost unlimited budgets....

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.

Last edited by LogicalRetard; 02-28-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 AM
???

hmmmmm

link to info on F1 air boxs?

oh and the newer sport bikes have a good looking box on there that's for sure... I'm thinking at 180ish some real shit is going down..... i've been wanting to go get a dyno run to check the A/F but I'm thinking I'll just hook mine up and check it up top... sounds like the only way to do it that's not halfasses.

pcIII needs to referance mph as well as rpm.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

It was actually in a F1 technology book I read. Craziest shit, it was made out of paper and all and they actually charged money for it ..... but anyways, in some instances they can build up to a pound or so of positive boost. Pretty crazy.

The only thing I wonder is that on the ram-air set-ups I've seen on bikes, the air rushes into a big air box and then DOWN into the throttle bodies which would defeat the purpose of ram air or make it not work anywhere as well as if either the air went directly into air horns/tb's, or if the inside air box was shapped like the inside of a dragster/F1-esqe scoop where it smoothly directs the air into the motor. But instead, the air boxes were just that, boxes, and so the box has to be pressurized first since the air wasn't traveling directly into the motor. Anywho, like you said Murdock, at like a buck 80 I'm sure any ram-air system ain't hurtin nothin!

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.