Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

1st bike

Old 06-10-2005, 09:11 PM
love hondas ftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st bike

hey every one im planning on getting my first motorcycle in august a gsx-r 1000 and i was wonderin wut will i need to drop the bike like only 2-3 inches and all of my gear like jacket and helmet and if they will add that into my payments or will i need to pay seperate , i plan on getting the bike from tampa motorsports ,,can u guys just tell me how u got ur gear and stuff
|_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**"""""""(@)(@)*****"(@)
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 PM
love hondas ftw

and i know that one of yall on here are gonna say thats a big bike to start out with ,, its not the first bike ive ridin its the first bike im gonna own for my delf , my brother has a 2003 gsx-r 1000 silver , and ive been riding my cousins 600 cbr for a while now and ive had my share of dirt bikes and four wheelers
Old 06-10-2005, 09:16 PM
IM SPICEY!!!

to drop your bike you need aftermarket dog bones and for the front you just loosen the clamps of the forks and slip them through the triple tree. i get most my gear off line...much cheaper than a dealer unless you know someone. kneedraggers.com is a good place for gear. IMO dont lower your bike, they are ment to perform at the hieght they are set at........if your short i can understand....but like i said...it is my opinion... Good Luck.

AIM:gixxerdan11
Old 06-10-2005, 09:17 PM
KBizzzle

Its up too you man. Ive started out on a 954rr and it is alittle much for a first bike. But learn and then ride it. Ive been riding my dads harleys and friends crotch rockets for a while but, get on that thing and its a completely differnt ball game brutha

^^Makes me warm and fuzzzzy
Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 PM
love hondas ftw

GTman85 : do you have any pics of ur CBR ive been wanting to see a 954
Old 06-10-2005, 11:50 PM
love hondas ftw

neva mind just checked out ur gallery and ur bike is hot
Old 06-11-2005, 12:08 AM

How about a 750?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:46 AM
Stand-up King

awesome!

Old 06-11-2005, 07:30 AM
KBizzzle

Originally Posted by vonrobins
neva mind just checked out ur gallery and ur bike is hot
Thanx man. If ya want to see a couple more ive got a few, just LMK

^^Makes me warm and fuzzzzy
Old 06-11-2005, 09:03 PM

Be careful man, you can't get too much deeper than a gixxer 1k when it comes to how easy it is to get into trouble on a bike. I'd be VERY SURE that you won't get yourself into trouble on that beast, and more importantly even if you are a pretty good rider don't EVER get overconfident with the bike, it'll throw you off faster than you can say "holy shit". I went straight from the MSF to a cbr1100xx and I was a very good rider for having so little riding experience. I respected the power of the bike immensly and was very careful when I rode. But after a few weeks of owning it I got overconfident and unleashed the beast and then panic breaked at over 70 mph. Front wheel washed out and I ate it hard. If I had been on a smaller bike I would not have gotten myself into trouble so fast. I have since purchased another XX and I respect its power and ability to throw me off in a heartbeat.

Furthermore, it sounds like your looking with a bigger budget. Unless you have a few extra grand just lying around your house I'd suggest not going for a bike in really good cosmetic condition. Get one with a couple scratches here and there so it'll save you some dough. Figure your going to drop it anyways--maybe not at speed but you'll probably drop it. Just be sure it runs well and has been taken care of. Some cosmetic imperfections due to the previous owner laying it down in his driveway shouldn't hurt it mechanically but should drop the price quite a bit. Then fix it up and make it look as pretty as you like after you servive a few thousand miles of riding or however much you think it'll take for you to get real comfortable. Definitely do not buy your first bike new unless you got mad duckets to throw around.

Finally about dropping the seat hight. Others have mentioned aftermarket lowering links. Another option is if you have mad duckets to spend or find a bike with it already installed is you can get an aftermarket rear shock with seat height adjustment (like an ohlins or wilber shock). Nevertheless, i'd really stay away from lowering your bike if you can, especially if you plan on doing any hard leaning anytime soon, which you'll sure be tempted to do with a gixxer 1k. If you lower it too much you take away available ground clearence that you might need when you are in the turns. Lowering the rear will also reduce handling on the bike and you'll have to muscle through the turns a little more. You can also drop the front end a little bit to compensate for that but again your playing with ground clearance you might need.

Ride safe man!