Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Choosing good protective gear for Florida riding.

Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 AM
1337 H4x0r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing good protective gear for Florida riding.

I'll be picking up a '05 Suzuki DR-Z400SM (SuperMotard) and I wanted to start off with some basic protective gear. I intend to use the bike on the weekends to blow off some stress around my neighborhood and local rural roads north of me. I honestly don't anticipate ever riding at night, to/from work, in town or on the interstate.

I'm entertaining the option of the ICON Ti-Max mesh or the Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jackets. These look nice and cool but I do have some concerns that these jackets might not really offer much protection. There just doesn't seem to any real data on the level of protection these jackets offer and very little opinions. Should I be really considering something that offers a bit more protection? I'm open to some suggestions on jackets offering good crash protection while still being usable durring the Florida summer months. I'm looking to spend about $200 for a jacket.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:18 AM
gone fishin

ATGATT

Dress for the crash... not for the ride.
Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Pants & Jacket.

Leather with body armor is best.
Leather with protective padding is next.
Kevlar with Armor...
Then Kevlar with padding...
Then flip-flops, a tank-top & a thong.

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)
Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 AM

I have been down with the Phoenix jacket before and came out with no rash. Granted it was under 40mph. My friend looped his bike with the the Joe rocket mesh jacket and got a minor burn on his elbow just from the material rubbing. The key is proper sizing. Make sure its snug on you and doesn't flap around. It doesn't have the same protection of leather but does provide a descent amount.

If you want leather step up to the plate and get a perfed Vanson. At a stand still it will be a little hotter then the Joe rocket Mesh but as long as your moving you'll be fine. Let me warn you though. They are not cheap.

Major props to Divine Sounds, Wheel Tec and Melilli Moto.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 AM
TR Bike Tech Post Whore

Originally Posted by Cecil
ATGATT

Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Pants & Jacket.

Leather with body armor is best.
Leather with protective padding is next.
Kevlar with Armor...
Then Kevlar with padding...
Then flip-flops, a tank-top & a thong.
...and then assless chaps!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 AM
My Balls Hurt

Originally Posted by ZdaMan
I have been down with the Phoenix jacket before and came out with no rash. Granted it was under 40mph. .

+1 but mine is to big..

AIM- B16aTeggy
Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
My Balls Hurt

Originally Posted by Cecil
ATGATT

sum OLD guy was telling me that same thing the other day at this shop i go too..

AIM- B16aTeggy
Old 04-04-2005, 09:44 AM
1337 H4x0r

I might be confused with the terminology of these products. The marketing for the ICON and Joe Rocket mesh jackets mentions they have armor while the few reviews I've read seem to indicate the lack of armor. Is it just padding on these jackets in the impact zones?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by lstepnio
I might be confused with the terminology of these products. The marketing for the ICON and Joe Rocket mesh jackets mentions they have armor while the few reviews I've read seem to indicate the lack of armor. Is it just padding on these jackets in the impact zones?
Correct. They have padding in strategic locations. However, you should check out the padding because if it isn't hard to the touch, then its fairly useless.

I went down in a Joe Rocket Speedmaster jacket and rolled for a while, but I didn't have a single scratch or bruise from where the jacket protected me. Its friggin heavy duty, but its also kinda hot.

Make sure you have some sort of tough back armor. GP style armor is good for what you're looking for. For most jackets you can take out what they have and put in your own. You really really do not want to fuck your back up.

I was wearing padded Alter Ego pants and my knees and ankles still get sore from time to time. I think I twisted them up good.

If you go to www.newenough.com they have sections that explain all the various armor types and they also have personal reviews of just about every piece of gear. Good site.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:04 AM

dont be like me and ride in LAX shorts and flip flops! I had never felt so much pain in my life!
Old 04-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

I roll in a Marlon Brando style highway jacket, jeans, harness boots, and leather gauntlets

Quick Reply: Choosing good protective gear for Florida riding.