Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

Insurance question

Old 07-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Voice of Reason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question

Ok this has probrably been asked 10,000 times, and usually I'm waiting in line to raise hell if someone would ask a question like this, but humor me for a second....what's the word on having to have insurance on a motorcycle?...do you have to have it in FL or not?...if so what's it usually run?

thanks in advance for the help...and the flaming

Assemblage 23
Negative Format

I'll work to elevate you, just enough to bring you down.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
keyboard hardass

there are quite a few threads regarding this, rather than repeat what has been already discussed, I'll link you to a search of the bike forum for the keyword "insurance"

Several of the threads that come up have excellent info for you...

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/s...der=descending

Green markers = Pay spots
Blue markers = safe free spots
Red markers = not so safe free spots (possible trespass issues)
Old 07-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Sweet Lincoln's mullet

I will add something that might not be on there.

My MSF instructor told me that in FL you DO NOT have to have insurance however if your involved in a accident whether it is or is not your fault you HAVE to show proof of insurance to the officer on the scene. I am not certain of the truth behind this but that is what he told me.

Derek
Old 07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
keyboard hardass

hmm, that really doesn't make any sense...

Old 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
keyboard hardass

so I did some research...

INSURANCE FOR MOTORCYCLES

Is insurance required for motorcycles in Florida?

Under certain circumstances Yes. Insurance is not required to register motorcycles as with four-wheel motor vehicles. However, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, then the owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others. If no liability coverage was in effect, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for three years to avoid license and tag/registration suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension.

What about motorcycle passenger insurance?

If you plan to carry passengers it is a good idea to ask your insurance carrier about the need for carrying passenger insurance coverage.

Is there a minimum age requirement for motorcycle passengers?

Florida law does not address a minimum age for passengers. However, other laws may apply such as endangering a minor.
excerpt taken from: http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/motorcyclefaqs.html

Old 07-28-2004, 04:07 PM
keyboard hardass

also found this:

Is insurance required on motorcycles?
There is no statutory requirement to purchase insurance on motorcycles, except when a driver has to prove financial responsibility due to violations or failure to pay for damages they caused in an accident. Lenders may require comprehensive and collision coverage to protect their interest.

My only question is this (i'll find out tomorrow). Since I already have full coverage on my car, does that PIP transfer over as I ride my motorcycle? I'm not sure...

Old 07-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Currently Ballin'

Originally posted by Clint

My only question is this (i'll find out tomorrow). Since I already have full coverage on my car, does that PIP transfer over as I ride my motorcycle? I'm not sure...
Definitely not.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:09 AM
What Happened?

I've never fully understood Florida's motorcycle insurance laws. I don't think that'll change. You don't have to have it to register, but you do if you get in a crash. What if you get pulled over? Do they still ask for P.O.I.?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:23 AM

I don't think any insurance is required at all. I'm 100% positive full coverage isn't required. It's one of the main reasons why I bought a sportbike instead of a car a little while back. It's the law to have full insurance on a car.

I only carry Liability Coverage. Doesn't cover my bike against theft or damage, but I feel good knowing I have it in case I damage someone elses property. I'm 17, and it only ran me $537.00 for a full year. Seems worth it to me.

Most of the time the place that finances your bike won't require full coverage on your financed bike either. I know Suzuki and Yamaha don't. Not sure about the rest. I got a loan note on a brand new Gixxer, and they Suzuki didn't require full coverage.
Yoshimura TRS | BMC Filters | PCIII | 520 Conv | Vortex Sprockets -1 +2 | TREmod | Coming soon...Sato Racing Full Titanium Exhaust and custom ecu map | Custom Paint almost done | Galfer Brake Upgrade |