Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

questions, need quick answers

Old 07-03-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions, need quick answers

ok guys things are gettign serious. i am looking at my first bike right now, its a 2000 yamaha r6 (600cc) it is a beautiful blue color, and has 15k on the clock. is that too much for a bike to have? how many miles is too much? the bike was babied and always garaged. it also comes with a shoei helmet so thats good.
a few serious questions
1. i need to get a motorcylce license. what ALL is required that i do? (i need to be riding as soon as possible.)
2. what is really the deal with insurance? i hear that if you pay for a bike in full, then insurance isnt required and i can ride freely without payments(yay) but i hear from other peopel this is not true.
3. i thought of this the other day. since i am really only familiar with dirtbikes i was wondering how do you go over speedbumps? is there a threat of bottoming out? what do you guys do in that situation.

thanks for your guys' help. i can buy this bike within the week so i need to get crackin on stuff.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:51 PM
BRT OVERKILL

1. Go to msf.org and read about getting your license, or hillsboro county dmv. You can get a temp permit though with just a paper test.

2. If you own it, no required insurance period. If it is financed the company must protect their investment such as any new car.

3. I have never bottomed out on any speed bumps over my 10 years of riding, but if you rice it up and lower it...expect to bottom it out someday. But under normal suspension, just raise your ass up a little and go over it just like a dirt bike on the rough.

4. Mileage means nothing, its how hard those miles were, you could have put 15k on it in 1 year no prob with lots of daily driving, or it could take longer...just have a mechanic check it out first for you. Not your "friend who works on bikes all the time, a real mechanic. Bring it to R&R and ask steve to take a look at it for you, I am sure he could hook you up rather decently. Or others, just make sure they know their shit, it is not worth the all the money spent on a bike for you just to trust "some guy".

Only babies drink from bottles...
Boosted 00 Si
N/A 93 HB b16/18
Old 07-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Turbo 4V 92 Coupe

i highly recommend you get at least liability insurance on your bike. in N.C. i paid like 60 bucks for 6 months and it saved my ass twice. i got hit by a car in a parking lot (my fault and my insurance paid for his front bumper. then just recently i looped a wheelie going down the interstate and made another guy flip his truck. thank god nobody in that truck was hurt but my insurance paid for his truck. so for 120 bucks in one year for insuarance saved me like 12k of bills