Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

OK.. Confused..

Old 06-18-2004, 06:48 AM
Errare Humanum Est

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK.. Confused..

Someone clear up for me what is REQUIRED to ride a bike in Tampa/Florida....

I'm seriously still considering getting a bike, just need to make sure I understand what all is required.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:15 AM
BRT OVERKILL

you need a permit or license,
if you have the title to the bike you don't need insurance,
if you make payments you need full coverage,
patience,
another mode of transportation,
and most importantly a helmet (required at all times if you dont't have health insurance).

Only babies drink from bottles...
Boosted 00 Si
N/A 93 HB b16/18
Old 06-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Sweet Lincoln's mullet

Originally posted by letsrollagn
patience,
and most importantly a helmet (required at all times if you dont't have health insurance).
Health insurance?? I have health insurance,death and supplemental insurance does that work? Or do i need seperate insurance?
Old 06-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Errare Humanum Est

Just regular permit/license?

I have my normal license if that's what you're talking about..

And whats with the endorsement all about?

Last edited by SSpiro; 06-18-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:32 PM
GSXR

I think u also need like bike insurance if u don't ride w/ a helmet. If u ride w/ a helmet than u don't need the bike insurance unless u are making payments.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:25 PM
Icy Hot Stuntin

Originally posted by SSpiro
Just regular permit/license?

I have my normal license if that's what you're talking about..

And whats with the endorsement all about?
No, not a normal "car" drivers license.
You need to either have a motorcyle permit, or a motorcyle endorsement on your license. Let me clear this up barney style for you:

Motorcyle Permits:

You get a motorcyle permit by going down to any DMV and take a written test (NO riding involved). I forgot if this cost money...it may be like $20 bucks or something. If you pass the written test, you get a permit. The permit expires in 90 days. After 90 days you can go back to the DMV and renew the permit by simply standing in line, then telling them you need to renew. There is no test involved when you renew. There are also no cost involved. The only thing is you can only renew a permit 5 times in your life time (someone correct me if Im wrong...Im pretty sure Im right though).

Permits are easy to get, and are usually the best thing to get if you already know how to ride, are too lazy to get the endorsment, or are too broke to pay for the MSF course (ill explain the MSF course in a sec).

The down side to a permit is that cops sometimes will give you hard time about them when they pull you over and you can't "legally" ride passengers.

So basically a permit is a temporary method of legally riding a motorcyle. Its fine to have, and its all legal and legit, but eventually your gonna have to get licensed.

Motorcycle "license", aka Motorcycle Endorsment:

First of all, when you hear people speak of "endorsments", they are simply talking about getting licensed to drive a motorcyle.

There are two ways of doing this...

The first way, which is the quickest and cheapest way, is by going down to the DMV and taking the test to get a motorcycle license. (Not to be confused with motorcycle permit.) You have to take a short written test, then you have to take a riding test. For the riding test you have to BRING YOUR OWN motorcycle and gear. You ride YOUR personal bike for this test. Some sportbike riders have trouble with the riding part, simply because sportbikes are the hardest bikes you could possibly use on the DMV test course. Its not impossible or anything, just harder than any other type of bike. The riding test involves a cone weave, braking, and a u-turn...and some other bullshit I cant remember. Its pretty easy, but it can be tricky with a sportbike since most have a horrible turn radius and are hard to balance at low speed. Once you complete this and pass it, you get a new drivers license...and in the lower right hand corner (where "Safe Driver" normally is), you get a new little text that says "Motorcycle Also". You are now licensed to ride a bike. You never have to re-test again, and when you re-new your license the "Motorcycle Also" stays on there...you are motorcylce licensed for life. Yay.
*Obviously, this method of getting licensed is not a good idea if you do not have any clue how to ride a bike. The following method is a better way....

The second way is by taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course...also known as the MSF course that you often hear bikers speak of. This class is offered at Armwood Highschool, through their adult ed department. The course is 3 days long, and cost alittle more than $200 bucks. Its expensive, but its worth the money if you are new to bikes. On the first day you are in a classroom doing written bullshit. The second day consist of alittle classroom time, and some riding time outside in the parking lot bike course. MSF provides gear and bikes. You do NOT have to have your own bike...in fact you cannot bring your own bike. The bikes they provide are small cruisers (250cc, 500cc)...and they are the easiest bikes to ride in the world. The On the third day you have a written test and riding test. Its all cake. No one fails. You'd have to be a retarded one legged monkey to fail. Once you complete the course you get a little card that says you did it successfully. You then take the card down to the DMV, and present the card to them, pay like $20 bucks, and you take a new picture and get a new license that says "Motorcyle Also" in the lower right hand corner.
The MSF course method is the safest method...but it takes time and money. For more info:

www.msf-usa.org
800-446-9224

BTW, the MSF course is usually pretty backed up, and the waiting period at Armwood is usually 3-5 weeks.

Now...if I hear anymore squids ask about getting licensed, I think Im gonna have shit fit. I dont think I can break this shit down anymore than I have.
"Ricey Hot Stuntaz" member #001
www.seductivecycles.com

Last edited by RicerX; 06-18-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Shake n' Bake

patience,
Why do you need another mode of transportation? i ride mine everyday rain or shine.

Old 06-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Chuck Norris

You'd have to be a retarded one legged monkey to fail.
Yeah but I passed the second time.
"Ricey Hot Stuntaz" member #002
www.seductivecycles.com
Old 06-18-2004, 09:58 PM

nothing but a liscense