Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

camera related question

Old 04-27-2003, 09:29 PM
bad ass fonzie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camera related question

hey guys.
i dont know if any of you remember my bumper-mounted camera videos, but the camera took a crap. but now i've got a new one, and i think it's all for the better, too- better camera, easier to mount, etc- but i'm still stuck on my original problem- sound.
the only way to record sound is to run an rca -cabled mike into the engine bay. but no one makes an rca mike. i've tried rca to regular plug converters, but that didnt work because the mike has to be self- powered. [i.e., the only solution that i've found that actually works is to run a regular mike into my laptop, then out to a rca plug converter which goes to the camera. now, who really wants their laptop in their car when they're autocrossing?]
any ideas guys?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:08 AM
OUCH!!!

not sure if it will work and i'm sure the sound quality won't be great, but you can try it...

get an el cheapo PC microphone (the kind with an 1/8" connector)
then get an 1/8" to RCA converter at radio shack.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Old School "Turbo" dude

i rember those videos they where cool.

do you mean the mic has to have its own power supply or it needs to be powered by the camera? eather way it should work with converters, get the proper kind of mic then get the proper converter for it.

Buy a TR email address Here
Old 04-28-2003, 12:24 PM
bad ass fonzie

Originally posted by MinGreyCobra
not sure if it will work and i'm sure the sound quality won't be great, but you can try it...

get an el cheapo PC microphone (the kind with an 1/8" connector)
then get an 1/8" to RCA converter at radio shack.
yeah, that's what i meant about the laptop baloney. the only way it'll work is if the laptop is pushing out a powered signal. know what i mean? the cheapo PC microphones aren't powered. . .
Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 PM
Haul'n the Family

Go to radio shack and buy a Lapel Mic. Its a small mic that you wear attached to a lapel of a shirt. Like a news anchor. Total cost will be around $20 bucks. They have two kinds there...get the better of the two (the more expensive model.)
Lapel mics have a nearly 360 degree pick-up pattern. The mic will have a 1/8" connector as well, so it will plug into your camera's mic input. The Lapel Mic also has it's own power via a couple of watch batteries. I have one, it has about 12 feet of cable too, if you need more get a male to female 1/8" extension cable for less than $5 bucks.
Word of advice, don't place the mic on the bumper, all you will hear is wind noise. I'd tape it underneath the bumper or something to buffet the wind. The sound quality won't be great, but it'll be better than no sound at all. Good luck.
BTW- what camera are you using to get video and how are you attaching it?
Just curious.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:34 PM
bad ass fonzie

hey guys sound is now working! yay.
FFWD- i did something close to your suggestions. they did not have any lapel mikes at the 3 different radio shacks i've been to in the last couple days- but i did find a self-powered computer mike. two AA's. got a 1/8 to double-RCA adapter, as well. seems to work alright. I havent done the full setup in the car, though. i'll do one tomorrow. do you guys want me to upload it to my site so you can watch it, and perhaps give any pointers?

i mount the mike right above the engine, on the strut tower bar. i love the engine sound.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:32 AM
TRs Iron Chef & Party God

put the mike behind the front bumper (like taped directly behind it) so that along with the engine sound we get to hear the THWACK of conage and behind the bumper so that it is protected from wind.

Saggleman: cause lord knows theres nothing i love more than swallowing condoms full of cocaine
Old 04-29-2003, 12:32 PM
bad ass fonzie

cones? i never hit cones. what are you talking about?