Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Friends are worth more than money...Robin Miller...A letter to the RACER nation

Old 08-24-2021, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Friends are worth more than money...Robin Miller...A letter to the RACER nation

MILLER: A letter to the RACER nation

Michael Levitt/Motorsport Images
43k shares
tweet
emailBy Robin Miller | July 31, 2021 6:44 AM ET

Facing your mortality isn’t something to think about every day or dwell on, because you’re alive and death isn’t in your daily mindset.

But when cancer and leukemia decide to gang up on you then everything changes, and you are suddenly lining up in a heat race with The Grim Reaper. Might be a 50-lapper, could be an enduro or you might get lucky and run for a year or two.

My situation is pretty cut and dried. There is no cure for my illness but it can be treated, and I’ve spent lots of hours at the clinic in Greenwood, Indiana with an awesome staff of doctors and nurses.

The outpouring of good wishes, prayers, positive thoughts and support from RACER nation is beyond humbling. I never dreamed that a guy who writes stories about race drivers could impact people’s lives and instill so much passion. I’ve had the greatest life anyone can imagine, and I’ve been lucky enough to share it with the fans.

Jim Hurtubise befriends me when I’m 17 and stealing beer for him at sprint car races, I’m stooging on his Indy 500 crew in 1968, then I’m covering USAC and IndyCar by 1969 for The Indianapolis Star, I’m working on Bill Finley’s pit crew by 1971 and driving him crazy by 1972, I’ve got a Formula Ford from Andy Granatelli thanks to my friendship with Art Pollard. I’m writing a weekly column about USAC by 1974 and a year later I’ve become the fourth Bettenhausen brother because I bought Merle’s midget.

It was tough love because the first night I ran USAC at Kokomo I made the feature and afterwards Gary B. told me I might have some talent and I was on Cloud 9. Three nights later I missed the show at IRP and Gary told me I was a p***y and needed to take my name off the car. It was a great time, pounding up and down the highway with Timmy Coffeen, Bobby Grim Jr. and Tony Lee Bettenhausen. We didn’t have any money, but damn what an experience as we ran Little Springfield, Terre Haute, Kokomo, Eldora and some bullrings that were pretty sketchy but always an adventure.

Yet it was my job that gave me such an entrée into IndyCar history and such an education.

I idolized Herk, Parnelli, A.J., Rutherford, Mario, Gurney, the Unsers and Johncock and by the mid-1970s I was pals with all of them and it was the golden age of racing for my money. They were the modern-day gladiators and revered universally.

I got fired at The Star after 33 years after tangling with Tony George, but it turned out to be a godsend because I’ve spent the past 20 years working at ESPN, Speed, RACER and NBC. Was there ever a better show than “Wind Tunnel” with Dave Despain? Of course not, and Dave was so generous to let me co-host many times. Most fun I ever had.

Working with Marshall Pruett for the past decade has been a great partnership and his hustle, knowledge and work ethic is second to none and the main reason RACER is the place to go for IndyCar news, scoops and commentary. Our founder, Paul Pfanner, is all-in on keeping RACER relevant and vibrant, and co-owners Rob and Chris Dyson have kept the last real racing magazine alive.
IndyCar has approved the use of stickers Marshall Pruett had made at the request of a number of teams for the upcoming race at Nashville.

I almost died two weeks ago with a nasty infection and fever but my little sister, her best friend and a neighbor saved my life and rushed me to the hospital where three nurses also came to my rescue. I’ve put on 10 pounds and got my appetite back after three months, and my goal is to get to the triple-header at the Brickyard next month.

But I have to tell you about the amazing people who have stepped up with generosity that’s immeasurable.

Randy Bernard sent my sister an American Express gold card and said I wasn’t allowed to pay anything in the way of bills. Indianapolis Colts owner Jimmy Irsay did something that can’t even be imagined, but showed how big his heart is and it’s beyond humbling. Ditto for 1970 Indiana Mr. Basketball David Shepherd, whose generosity is off the chart. A.J. has called several times asking if I needed financial help and The Gas Man (Tom Sneva) has offered whatever I need. My best buds Steve Shunck, Larry Schmalfeldt, Feeno, Billy Shepherd, Davey Shep, Ralf Frey, Billy Benner, David Benner, Larry Walker, Bob Grim, John Mandlebaum, Al Freedman and Monk Palmore bring me lunch, dinner and hours of great conversation and they’ve rebuilt my condo, installed an electric staircase, built my sister a bed and kept me company daily. Nobody has more good friends than I do and I’m so… the word “lucky” isn’t appropriate. It’s beyond comprehension.

And my sister Diane has been here three months and I cannot begin to explain what an angel she’s been. I’d be lost without her mothering and nursing skills, along with her best friends Terri, Susie and Riney.

I don’t know what the future holds, but I’m at peace with whatever happens, be it a year or six months or six weeks or six hours. My plan is to move to Phoenix later this year because I want to watch the nephews and niece grow up and just peacefully pass on surrounded by my family, whenever it’s time.

I know I’ve probably rambled too long and maybe given more information that you care to hear, but I just wanted to try and thank everyone for their kindness and support and let them know how special you’ve made me feel in the past few weeks. I hope I see you at a racetrack sooner than later but if not, it’s been a GREAT ride and I’m so thankful you folks were able to share it.

And next month it’s the Motorsports Hall of Fame induction, so that’s one more caveat I never expected, but I am humbled to be in the same area code as all my heroes. HOF for a Ball State flunkout? Hell, that even made Letterman grin ear-to-ear.

Robin Miller

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Last edited by senor honda; 08-24-2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:36 AM
Registered

Default Robin Miller 1949 – 2021

Robin Miller 1949 – 2021

Michael Levitt/Motorsport Images
11k shares
tweet
emailBy Mark Glendenning | August 25, 2021 11:18 AM ET

IndyCar journalist, broadcaster and advocate, and RACER senior writer and friend Robin Miller has died at the age of 71.

The Indiana native, who passed after a long fight against multiple myeloma and leukemia, carved himself a reputation as one of American racing’s most authoritative voices during his five-decade career as a writer. He told stories from inside the paddock with an unfiltered honesty that got him into trouble with more or less every person involved in the sport at some point, but which also earned him a fundamental level of respect from drivers and teams that set him apart from his media peers.

Miller’s relationship with Indianapolis Motor Speedway began when his father took him to the track in 1957, and snowballed when the pair sneaked in without tickets so that the then-nine-year-old could soak in his first Indy 500 in 1959.

That passion for Indy blossomed further when Miller’s hero Jim Hurtubise gave him a job as a gopher on his race team in 1968. The limitations to his skills as a mechanic were revealed almost immediately, and having ascertained that his true calling lay elsewhere, he joined The Indianapolis Star as a journalist that same year. Miller continued to moonlight as a hired hand for assorted race teams at the Speedway during the Month of May through most of the 1970s – although notably in roles that didn’t require him to actually touch the cars.

Around the same time that he was establishing himself as a writer, Miller also tried his hand at driving. He bought a Formula Ford from Andy Granatelli in 1972, and then acquired a midget from Gary Bettenhausen in 1974, which he campaigned across the Midwest. His career highlight came in 1980 when he qualified fifth out of 93 cars for the Hut Hundred at Terre Haute. Miller was running third when his engine died.

“It was amazing,” Miller said when reflecting on that time. “Here I am. I’m stooging on IndyCars. I’m writing for the Star. And I’m towing my midget to IndyCar races – we’re racing USAC races the Friday night before at just about every track we go to, because it was all ovals, of course.

“I’m living at Larry Rice’s house, who was the co-rookie of the year with Rick Mears. I’m living with him and Chuck Gurney and a couple different IndyCar guys – it’s like the YMCA for racing. We ate lunch and dinner together; we were together every day. We played softball at night during the summer. And I towed my midget to a race, and (Johnny) Parsons and Rice and whoever – Tim Richmond, for a couple years – we’d all get on the road together. You can’t have a better education than I had about driving, and how things went, and who got a good break, and who got screwed and who you could trust.”
Don Brown and helper Ray Kuhltheau flank Brown’s “No.1 pain in the ass”, in Miller’s words, in 1976. Robin Miller Collection

By that point, his work with the Star had already established him as one of IndyCar racing’s most prominent voices. He’d started out at the paper doing menial office tasks before being moved to the sports desk, where one of his first assignments was as a traveling reporter covering the Indiana Pacers. Miller’s interest in the Pacers never dimmed, and in 2017 he co-authored a book on the team’s formative years titled “We changed the game.”

One of his most often-told stories from that era of his IndyCar coverage of the Star illustrated both his reach and his ability to ruffle feathers. During the Month of May in 1981, he called out A.J. Foyt in one of his daily newspaper columns. “Taking on a legend is never easy but there are some things about Anthony Joseph Foyt that have been kept in the closet for too long and it’s time to let them out,” he began. From there Miller painted a portrait of a figure lost in his own ego and surrounded by groveling ‘yes men,’ and rounded the column out by listing occasions where he believed Foyt had benefited from running to a different set of rules to the rest of the field.

He was rewarded with a clip to the head by Foyt as soon as they crossed paths in the paddock, and the newspaper subsequently published a retraction. However, that same column also noted that Foyt could berate somebody one moment and joke with them half an hour later, and while it look a little longer than that for the ice between the pair to thaw, they went on to become exceptionally close friends and confidants.

Miller landed squarely on CART’s side when the series split in 1996, and became a regular and vociferous critic of Indy Racing League and Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George – a stance that ingratiated him with the CART faithful, but at the cost of his relationships with the various pro-IRL factions around Indianapolis.
Miller and Foyt didn’t always see eye to eye, but the pair became close friends. Michael Levitt/Motorsport Images

His 33-year tenure with the Star came to an end in 2001, whereupon he joined ESPN and appeared on shows such as RPM 2Nite and SportsCentury, and wrote for the Champ Car website. After departing from ESPN in 2004 he joined the Fox-owned Speed Channel as a regular contributor to the Speed website, SPEED Center and the immensely popular call-in show Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain. He remained at Speed until the brand was absorbed into Fox Sports, whereupon he and fellow Speed contributor Marshall Pruett joined RACER and became the cornerstones of the brand’s IndyCar content.

By that point he’d also become part of the broadcast team at Versus/NBCSN, and he remained a constant presence on both NBC Sports and RACER until his death.

Miller eventually became as large a figure to his readers as the drivers he wrote about. Any given race weekend would find him peppered with requests for photos and autographs as he strode around the paddock or down to the Honda hospitality unit, where he’d sometimes be greeted with special “off the menu” lunch items that catered to his near-total aversion to vegetables. The extent of his folk hero status with his readers was evident towards the end of his life when he began to go public about his illness, and an invitation from RACER.com to send get well messages resulted in a Microsoft Word document that ran over 200 pages.
Miller made his final visit to the Speedway during the IndyCar/NASCAR weekend earlier this month, when he became one of the very few media members to be inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame. Michael Levitt/Motorsport Images

Much of Miller’s appeal to his many fans could be traced to his willingness to tell things as he saw them, regardless of the cost. He had an authenticity that set him apart from the very beginning, and that quality became increasingly pronounced as the rest of the world began to present ever more edited versions of itself via social media. But equally rare and valuable was his undying enthusiasm for the sport, and for every driver and team who stepped up to the challenge of racing at Indianapolis. While he was recognized as a link to the “golden era” of technical innovation and drivers who raced in the face of ludicrous dangers, he was equally passionate about contemporary racing. He recognized that the cars were more interesting “back in the day,” but had little patience for any suggestion that today’s safety standards are detrimental to the show, or that the quality of racing was better in the 1960s. A letter to his hugely popular weekly mailbag about Colton Herta or Alexander Rossi would be answered with as much thought and enthusiasm as one about Swede Savage or Johnny Rutherford.

His cancer was first diagnosed in 2017, but aside from short breaks for treatments he continued working as normal until his disease began to progress rapidly in early 2021. Even then he continued to work as much as he was able – writing about racing, he often said, allowed him to feel like himself while he was dealing with the effects of his illness and treatments. Some of his last columns and mailbags were written from his hospital bed.

Miller’s decades-long contribution to the sport was recognized when he was inducted into the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America as part of the Class of 2021. Knowing that he would not be well enough to travel to the official induction ceremony in Michigan in September, organizers instead arranged a special ceremony at Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the recent IndyCar/NASCAR double-header weekend. Miller spent the day holding court at his favorite place on the planet, surrounded by hundreds of friends from the sport he’d dedicated his life to covering. It was, he told RACER later that afternoon, the best day of his life.

1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!

Old 08-27-2021, 02:42 AM
Registered

Default PRUETT: There was nobody like Robin Miller

PRUETT: There was nobody like Robin Miller

Michael Levitt
4.9k shares
tweet
emailBy Marshall Pruett | August 25, 2021 4:42 PM ET

His voice was the loudest in any press room, his personality the biggest in any paddock. He was more famous and more revered than half the drivers he covered. His stories started more conversations, stressed more friendships, and did more to champion IndyCar racing than any person or sanctioning body. His heart was IndyCar’s heart.

Robin Lee Miller, a man who was loved or loathed with intense passion by drivers, team owners, and fans alike, died this morning at the age of 71 after a prolonged fight against cancer and leukemia. Even though we’ve known it was coming, it’s still hard to process. Through open-wheel’s best and worst times, Miller was always there, reporting, fanning the flames of fires he often set, driven by a need to make people care about the sport he loved, to ensure it survived.

I can’t imagine motor racing without him.

To his readers, Miller was a writer, reporter, author, and broadcaster. That was only one version of the larger-than-life character. To the tenured men and women in the IndyCar paddock, he was one of their own, a hapless and unkempt kid who grew up on pit lane at the Indy 500 ‘stooging’ — serving as the lowest member on a pit crew — for his hero, renowned Indy entrant and driver Jim ‘Herk’ Hurtubise. To their amazement, Miller eventually made something of himself.

He added another wrinkle by donning a driving suit and spending the better part of a decade trying to kill himself in midgets, sprint cars, and Formula Fords. His friends gasped with relief when Miller decided it was time to stop the crash-laden experiment. Sporadic bursts of talent were shown, though, and from the wisdom earned in the cockpit, more respect was gained from the IndyCar drivers he chronicled.

They took pride in all he became in his new media career. With the role came trust and sources that would serve his calling until his final days. And to their surprise, he was actually more dangerous with a keyboard than with a wrench or steering wheel in his hand.

Despite uttering the phrase “I’m a mechanical moron” a few thousand times over the years, Miller’s lack of knowledge about the cars of Indy never mattered. His innate curiosity and willingness to ask extremely basic questions was warmly received. There was an authenticity born from that innocence and ignorance. Most of all, Miller understood people and their motivations.

Where he put this talent to use was in celebration of the day’s biggest names—many of whom carried an air of mystique—and made them human, relatable. As often as Miller’s been praised for extolling the unvarnished truth, his reach inside the paddock and connection with IndyCar’s most heralded characters is where he changed our game. The A.J. Foyts, Dan Gurneys, Roger Penskes, and other mythic figures opened up to Miller in ways that were personal, unguarded.

He brought IndyCar’s new stars to the Indiana State Fair, forced them to eat fried monstrosities, and made sure to film and write about it for our amusement. He always found ways to help his legion of readers form bonds with the kids who were about to take the reins. We know the pillars of our sport, old and young, in deeper ways because of Miller.
Miller, James Hinchcliffe and Tony Kanaan test-drive some treats at the Indiana State Fair. Image by Joe Skibinski/IndyCar

His oxygen came from conversations, often held in full view of the public, occasionally reserved for the deep recesses of a garage or transporter, where he’d gather the latest scoops and scandals. Miller loved the hunt, chasing the next story, and had an army of guides pointing him in the right direction.

And he had a knack for pulling strings.

We’ll never know how many decisions made by USAC, CART, Champ Car and IndyCar Series bosses came as a result of Miller’s private emails, phone calls, and impassioned pleadings. It never mattered if they wanted to hear what he had to say; Miller was IndyCar’s self-appointed consigliere. Yes, his name was on thousands of story bylines, but his influence was just as great as an uncredited co-captain trying to keep open-wheel’s ship from running aground.

Miller’s shotgun laugh, a loud cackle that disrupted everything within earshot, was a thing of beauty. It was a featured part of his most prized contributions to our world: The stories. Oh, sweet father, the stories.

Miller’s steel-trap mind had hundreds of them at the ready to tell in an instant. Picture the average scene in an NFL or NBA locker room where throngs of reporters surround a Tom Brady or LeBron James and hang on everything they say. Then turn that scenario around and imagine a reporter at the center of the scrum, enveloped by the Bradys and LeBrons, the head coaches, and staff members who we’re enraptured by every curse-filled sentence he had to offer.

That’s been IndyCar’s reality for decades as the paddock was drawn to Miller and his ability to breathe life into years and eras that preceded their own. He was our village elder, keeping the memories of his heroes and the unsung aloft. With Miller, the past was always kept present and fresh, delivered as oral documentaries.

Miller was IndyCar’s generational rallying point, connecting the greats who made the sport what it is with the fans who loved and revered all they witnessed back in the day at Trenton, Milwaukee, and other woebegone haunts his mailbag readers mentioned every week. He was also the bridge between generations, taking modern fans to times and tracks that pre-dated the internet.
The ‘RACER row’ in the IMS press room, a few hours after the checkered flag for the 2016 Indy 500 (left-right: Marshall Pruett, Mark Glendenning, Robin Miller). While it was all business when there were stories to file, Miller’s desk was one of the Speedway’s main social hubs in the days leading up to the race. Image by Paul Pfanner

And he brought his heroes together with your heroes. Ask a Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan, or Josef Newgarden how many legends of the sport they met through Miller because he knew their predecessors, a Dan Gurney, or a Parnelli Jones, were kindred spirits.

Being a member of Miller’s inner circle came with an invitation to a group that includes every living Indy 500 winner, the power brokers who’ve ruled the sport, and an oddball assembly of mechanics, journalists, engineers, PR reps, and childhood pals.

One of the greatest joys in my life took place each May in the media center at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Seated to his right on our sprawling row, separated by his diabetes-size assembly of candy, bags of plain potato chips, boxes of Long’s donuts, cold fried chicken, and warm bottles of his beloved Pepsi, the world’s oldest teenager was the hottest ticket in town.

Uncle Bobby — Bobby Unser — would get his motor home parked after the long drive from New Mexico, make a beeline for the fourth floor of the media center and emerge from the elevator with his hands raised and waving — like the three-time Indy 500 winner was surrendering and begging Miller not to shoot. Unser would proceed to sit between us and from there, no work would be done as they spent hours spinning yarns at the top of their lungs.

Whomever was the CEO of IndyCar or president of IMS at the time would stop by to pay their annual tribute to the man who both eased and complicated their lives. And the receiving line continued each May. The Mario Andrettis, Johnny Rutherfords, Tom Snevas and other titans of the Speedway all came to cajole Miller in his natural habitat.

Even Carlos Huertas, a one-time race winner and proverbial blip on IndyCar’s radar, couldn’t avoid pulling up a chair and experiencing media-center Miller for a few hours.

In typical fashion, and Miller spared none of his guests, he gave the Colombian a heavy ration of **** from the moment he sat down. Some might’ve expected the journeyman to hold his tongue, and he did take Miller’s best verbal jabs, but Huertas was using Muhammad Ali’s old rope-a-dope trick and let the old crank wear himself out.

Once Miller’s accosting began to wane, Huertas pounced, spending the rest of the afternoon landing haymaker after haymaker. From taking Miller to task for his clothes, diet, and reporting skills, Huertas carved up the dean of IndyCar without mercy. I’ve never heard Miller laugh harder. The po-faced driver we nicknamed ‘Grumpy Cat’ became one of Miller’s new favorites that day, all because Huertas understood the man lived for jousting, insults, and mischief.

Old 08-27-2021, 02:47 AM
Registered

Default Part 2 Robin Miller.........The people of IndyCar orbited Miller on a daily basis.

The people of IndyCar orbited Miller on a daily basis. It was his patented ‘Team Lunch’ events held weekly at favorite local restaurants where his buddies would meet to reminisce and tell lies over plates filled with greasy delights. It was his month of May dinners, reserved for the inner circle, where he ate and sparred with men whose faces are permanently enshrined on the Borg Warner trophy. His other guests — the mortals — spoke afterwards of feeling unworthy to have been seated at the table, gushing all the while over the honor and experience.

If you weren’t greeted with some form of insult, announced to the group he was with as a ‘Sorry sack of ****,’ or hailed as your parents’ worst mistake, Miller probably didn’t like you. And after the verbal assault, he’d flash that glossy grin and let you know he didn’t really hate you. Well, not that much.

With prose as his ammunition, Miller took delight in stringing together a symphony of curse words designed to question your faith in humanity. If you’d made it through life with virgin ears or were a devout churchgoer, prayers and passages from the bible certainly weren’t going to protect you from Miller. That man could make the Devil blush.

Getting Miller to dress like an adult was one of life’s greater challenges. It took stern words and more than a few threats from his bosses at NBC to make sure he didn’t turn up in front of the cameras looking like he stepped away from a pickup basketball game. If the Smithsonian finds itself wanting to host an exhibit with the finest collection of sweatpants and mustard-stained t-shirts that smell like pork tenderloin sandwiches, point them towards Miller’s condo in Indianapolis.

The volume of reporters who’ve expressed their gratitude to Miller is another sign of the man’s influence; he was a mentor to all who were willing to watch or listen. Half of it was on the how-to side, and the other half — and I’m being generous — was on the how-not-to side. Nonetheless, Miller offered a masterclass on how to be a sports reporter if you buckled in and went along for the ride.
Having a place at the table for one of Miller’s Month of May dinners meant being surrounded by a loud, boisterous Borg Warner Trophy. Image via Marshall Pruett

Back in 2006 or so, as a brand-new reporter at SPEED, I was assigned to assemble, edit, and post his weekly mailbag. He was the biggest name in the building, I was an entry-level nobody, and while he could have held me in my place, Miller became the greatest cheerleader and mentor I could ask for. In time, we’d become a reporting team. How surreal. I owe my career to that man, and know I’m not alone in that regard.

I’m 50 years old. I’ve worked in open-wheel racing since I was 16. And I was Miller’s colleague and reporting partner for nearly 15 years. After my wife, he was the most constant presence in my life, either in person or on the phone, since we met. And yet with Miller, despite whatever age or achievements I’d reached in life, I always felt like a five-year-old staring up at Santa Claus. Now gone, this is an emptiness that cannot be filled.

When he wasn’t hurling invectives at nuns, and to the surprise of his harshest critics, the man was inherently decent and kind. He’d hate for it to be said out loud, but there was a soft side to Robin Miller.

After one journalist got fired from a well-paying job and fell on hard financial times, Miller was quick to visit the grocery store and fill a shopping basket with steaks and other food so he and his family wouldn’t go hungry. He organized charity softball games, and was always free with his earnings. If he knew someone was struggling, a $20 bill, or maybe a $100 if he had it, was stuffed into the person’s pocket, no questions asked, no chance to decline, and no repayment allowed.

From the moment my wife got sick in 2018 to our last conversation a week ago, Miller was searching for new ways to help, offering her all manner of sympathy and encouragement. From his hospital bed, no less. Behind the scenes, he was there for friends, there for injured racers and their families, bringing cheer, lending a hand, demonstrating the best virtues.

His last grand act was one of giving, as more than $11,000 has been sent to St. Jude Children’s Hospital from the sales of his ‘Get Well Robin’ stickers. While dreadfully sick and dying over the last few weeks, all Miller wanted were updates on how much had been raised and donated to help St. Jude’s offer free care for kids fighting the same disease. That’s the Robin Miller I’ve known.

Even as his weekly contributions to RACER and NBC Sports began to decline as the ravages of cancer and leukemia took their toll, he was filled with inspiration and story ideas. Sadly, most went unfulfilled. The greatest IndyCar reporter we’ll ever have, recently enshrined in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America, who casts a shadow that envelopes every journalist in the sport, would privately confide that he didn’t feel like he was keeping up his end of the bargain and feared he was letting his audience down. Hard to fathom, isn’t it?

It took a heart-to-heart conversation about a month ago to help Miller to understand that we’d received a lifetime of gifts from that brilliantly twisted mind; we were in his debt. His time as a reporter who was always on deadline was complete. He seemed to find peace in the idea of contributing if and when it was of interest. He also felt the full weight and size of appreciation he deserved on his final visit to IMS during the IndyCar/NASCAR road course event. NBC asked him to interview Jimmie Johnson, and that was like a shot of adrenaline.
Miller sat down with Jimmie Johnson at the Speedway two weeks ago for what would be his final driver interview. Barry Cantrell/Motorsport Images

Frail, and sporting another fashion ensemble found on the clothing isle at Menards, Miller was lavished with attention and love from both paddocks. Beforehand, he’d told me it would be his last trip to the Speedway, a final farewell said to the track that made him, and to his many friends, on his own terms. His heart was full; he was content. I’m so incredibly thankful he was able to die as he lived: On the throttle and in charge.

It’s both sad and funny to think that in recent weeks, after he filed his farewell letter on RACER, some people have actually been offering their services and jockeying to replace Robin. As if any living creature could fill that void.

Robin Miller was a self-professed asshole, degenerate gambler, and the High Priest of S*** Disturbers. His body of work over six decades was immensely prolific and won’t be matched. No reporter stood taller on their soapbox, or genuinely loved being themselves — flaws and all — more than Miller.

How in the hell do you talk, write, or think about one of your best friends in the past tense? It’s an adjustment many of us will have to figure out in the coming months. He spent a lifetime telling his stories to us; for once, it’s our turn to start telling stories about him.

Can you imagine the arguments he’s having right now with Uncle Bobby? Or the patience required of the Big Eagle as he attempts, for the 943rd time, to help Miller understand how the Gurney flap works? And is Herk chasing him out of the garage at the big Gasoline Alley in the sky?

I’m heartbroken at our collective loss and have tears running down my face as I write this. But I can’t stop smiling when I think about all that Robin Miller gave us to cherish about the sport we love. Godspeed, old friend.