Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

STOCK CAR RACING NASCAR Leavine Family Racing, Mike Wheeler, Matt DiBenedetto

Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default STOCK CAR RACING NASCAR Leavine Family Racing, Mike Wheeler, Matt DiBenedetto

Interview: Leavine Family Racing, and the sweet pain of a clean slate

Image by Jarrett/LAT
478 sharessharetweetemail
By: Kelly Crandall | January 22, 2019 12:11 PM A brand-new NASCAR season provides a blank slate for crew chief Mike Wheeler in more ways than one.Now the leader of the No. 95 at Leavine Family Racing, ‘Wheels’, as he’s known, has been head down and digging since cleaning out his office at Joe Gibbs Racing on Thanksgiving Day. With a new team comes a new driver in Matt DiBenedetto. The rules package for the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series is also changing.“For the first few months when I knew this was coming down, I had mixed emotions because I grew up wanting to race and compete for wins and championships, and I had that with Denny [Hamlin] and the 11 car,” Wheeler told RACER of this new opportunity.“The mindset [was] we could win any weekend, battle for championships and playoffs and all that kind of stuff, and then it wasn’t happening. So, coming here and starting – I don’t want to say at the bottom – but rebuilding [is] mixed emotions.”But having seen other crew chiefs go through the ‘wringer’, as Wheeler described such a career move, and enjoying the experience has him looking forward to doing the same. Yes, Wheeler wants to win the Daytona 500 and many other races this season, but realistically that’s quite a reach for his team.“But at the same point, it’s not out of reach in my career here or in the near future,” he said. “That date is not set, but the more I do it… it is intriguing to be a part of the process of growing [a team], seeing all the people here working hard to battle toward the top, and I know the more successful you are at doing that, you will feel really good about it.”Change is all around Wheeler. As an organization, LFR is amid a retooling after having gone from the Chevy to Toyota camp (with manufacturer support) and a JGR alliance. That was a big part of the reason Wheeler knew he had to quickly start working on 2019 after 2018 ended. The starting point was hiring folks for key positions such as car chief and lead engineer.Most of what had been the No. 95 team before Wheeler arrived remains intact. The switch to Toyota enticed many on the team to stay put when they had opportunities elsewhere, and learning that Wheeler was going to be their guy added to the excitement and emphasis of being a part of the program. Wheeler said he was flattered to hear that.
Leavine Family Racing will not be able to lean as heavily on the Gibbs mothership as predecessor Furniture Row could. Image by Harrelson /NKP /LAT Images)
“It’s everything,” said Wheeler of the focus within the shop. “For sure manufacturer changes, chassis change … essentially the entire fleet got cleared out and [we’re] starting from scratch. JGR is helping the process with that as far as getting chassis and bodies over here and having to order cars piece by piece, part by part; it’s quite a large undertaking. Rules change, yeah, it’s affecting us, but honestly we’re trying to just get cars built, set up, aligned and get the processes going before we worry about the at-the-racetrack stuff.”Team owner Bob Leavine emphasized just a few months ago that his group is not Furniture Row. What had essentially been a fifth JGR car with Martin Truex Jr. and the No. 78 team is not a realistic expectation for the No. 95. Wheeler has heard similar comparisons, but was quick to set the record straight on how things are going to work between LFR and JGR.First, there will not be an open notebook between the two organizations because “it’s not quite the level of a full alliance type deal.” Gibbs will give Leavine a certain amount of information, parts and pieces, but there will not be full sharing. Team meetings featuring all five teams are not going to happen. Basically, with LFR’s funding they’re building their program to one day, hopefully, reach the Gibbs level.Wheeler knows all about that level, as he’s won big races like the Daytona 500 and Southern 500. He plans to be there again one day, but knows his new group is going to have to work a whole lot harder, and longer, to make it happen.“Right away I realized how much my expectations of finishing position would be changed, and that was where the mixed emotions came,” said Wheeler. “If you could go someplace else, you’re pretty confident in yourself *– ‘Oh, I could get these guys to wins.’ But knowing the undertaking here, it’s more than that. It’s about making it to the racetrack, being fully prepared and then performing well.“Honestly … if we can get them running more so in the top 10 and to be finishing and racing well into the top 10, that’s our first goal. But in December and January, we’ve been working on organization and building a structure to put cars together, because it is all different. A lot of the parts and pieces and suspension don’t fit, so everything kind of got wiped out and [we’re] started from scratch. … You’re really working hard to manage expectations, but you think you can get there at some point and hopefully, it’s sooner than later.”

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

DiBenedetto's breakthrough Daytona drive ends in heartbreak

Getty Images for NASCAR
130 sharessharetweetemail
By: Kelly Crandall February 17, 2019 8:29 PM The 61st annual Daytona 500 was both an “amazing and heartbreaking” day for Leavine Family Racing’s Matt DiBenedetto.In his first race with the LFR-Joe Gibbs Racing alliance — and crew chief Mike Wheeler, who worked with Denny Hamlin last year — DiBenedetto put on a career performance. A performance that not only included pacing the field, running much of the day inside the top 10 and smoothly working the draft, but also being the driver that led the most laps (49).“Unbelievable how fast my car was,” said DiBenedetto. “I’ve never had a piece under me like that, so that’s amazing. I have really great teammates. I’ve got to give them a lot of credit helping me dealing with all of the questions I ask. Kyle Busch is obviously a great one to lean on and I’ve been bugging him.

More NASCAR!

CRANDALL: Daytona 500 was no dud

Daytona 500 overnight rating up over 2018

Hamlin repeats unique feat with new crew chief Gabehart

“So, it’s heartbreaking but it’s really neat to lead that many laps, have that many things going and I’m so appreciative to all of my fans. I’ve had so much support it’s overwhelming. They’ve been a big part of getting me to where I am. I’m just appreciative for this opportunity.”Yes, the heartbreak. That part came when DiBenedetto was spun by Paul Menard on Lap 192, triggering the “big one.” He was one of 23 cars collected in the accident, which was the biggest crash of the afternoon. Unfortunately, it ended DiBenedetto’s day with a 28th-place finish when he appeared strong enough to contend for a top finish. =center“It was just a racing deal,” DiBenedetto said. “Nothing intentional. I have a great relationship with Paul. I think he was trying to sneak to my outside but wasn’t quite there and when he bumped me it just clipped my right rear and turned me in the wall. Just a racing deal. Nothing we can do about it. We had one hell of a day going, I’ll tell you that.“The car was fast and I’m so darn thankful that Toyota, Procore my sponsor, Leavine Family Racing — I don’t know if everyone understands how big of a chance they took on me and I will be forever thankful. I have an amazing crew chief with Mike Wheeler and great people around me. We showed what we are here to do so we accomplished a lot. Led the most laps, had a fast race car so I’m thankful for that, but I’m not going to lie I’m pretty heartbroken.” DiBenedetto’s performance drew praise from his alliance teammates, as well as NASCAR executive vice president Steve O’Donnell.

“I wasn’t surprised at all having Wheels over there and having JGR equipment and stuff like that and being an affiliated team,” said Kyle Busch. “I feel like they did a really good job, and Matt did a great job behind the wheel. He was fast, he was smooth, he looked really good. Was just disappointed that he wasn’t able to kind of be there at the end.”Joe Gibbs said the No. 95 is an important partner for his organization and he was “thrilled” to see LFR run the way they did. Race winner Hamlin said DiBenedetto did a great job in the draft.“Obviously, ‘Wheels’ has a lot of notes from what we were successful here with and that car was super, super strong,” he said. “It’ll be very important for us to have that car running strong, and to gather more information because as an organization we don’t want to lose a car, and by losing Furniture Row last year, hopefully that 95 team can kind of pick up where they left off.”Prior to Sunday, DiBenedetto had led just one lap at Daytona in seven starts. With 49 laps led, he also led more laps in a single race than in his previous four seasons combined (23).

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/