Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Best tire size/sidewall etc for autoX

Old 02-04-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by "Loren"

Even the 205/55 specs a 6.5" wheel. Putting it on a 6" wheel is marginal. Great for strictly competition use, but would probably not wear evenly on the street. (not that Azenis are going to last long, anyway)
Thanks for the specs/info, but yeah, i'm not concerned about treadwear. That is why I'm picking up another set of stock wheels.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Turbo>NA

Advan ao38?? is nice. that's the one i have on the GTS corolla just for the front. it's very expensive, but sticks the best. i can't afford the same tires for the rear, so i have a AVS intermidiate (discontinued) for the rear. I put intermidiate for the front on street.

I've ever had Azenise, many auto-xer have one. I think it's a good tire for what you're paying for. i need to try one sometime.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Wherever I may roam...

Originally posted by "chet"

i would get some aftermarket wheels that are 7 inches wide, and then get some falkens, and then go with kuhmo's.

sell what you have, and get something that will better utilize the tires you should get.
And that would bump him right out of the stock class, which would be a very bad move since the car is bone stock.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:07 AM
cone junkie

Originally posted by "SR20DET"

Originally Posted by PseudoRealityX
Originally Posted by SR20DET
Originally Posted by PseudoRealityX
but Im not sure about Sentra fenderwells.

Huh ?
Can you fit 225-45s under the fenderwell without rubbing? If so, thats the size you should get.
I got that part, but I don't own a sentra
Im a moron...im going to go sit in the corner now....

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 02-05-2003, 02:11 AM
cone junkie

Originally posted by "Loren"

Azenis tend to run a little wide for their stated size, I measured my 205/50-15's at 211mm treadwidth. A 215 might be pushing it for a 6" wheel. Looking at the Azenis spec sheet (http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_t.htm), the 215/45-16 is designed for a 7-8" wheel.

Even the 205/55 specs a 6.5" wheel. Putting it on a 6" wheel is marginal. Great for strictly competition use, but would probably not wear evenly on the street. (not that Azenis are going to last long, anyway)

I'd go with the 205/55, an extra 6/10's overall diameter isn't going to hurt THAT much. You probably won't even notice it until you become an autocross GOD... which will take much longer than the life of those tires.

Based on the fit of those on your wheels and on your car, you can then decide if your NEXT set should be the 215's.
Being that he's buying an extra set of wheels just for competition use, i wouldnt be worried about the width thing. Carpenter, who IS an autocross God runs 225s on a 5" wheel, and won the PRO event this past weekend....insane what that crx will do.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 02-05-2003, 03:23 AM
TRs Iron Chef & Party God

falkens (azenis) are the stickiest STREET tire on the market (arguably)good stiff sidewall and the 215's should fit on your car now just remember that falkens have an extremely underrated foot print (i.e. the falken 205 is like most tires standard 215) so you will have a pretty significant amount of rubber under that thing to hold you through some of the sharpest turns on terra firma. and the wear isnt all that bad on them. I took them to evolution performance driving school for 2 days and put approximately 110-120 autox passes on them in those two days and with the exception on 2-3 events have run on them ever since (about 6-7 months worth of autoxes and atleast 2 per month) and i even put about 7000 street miles on them and i JUST got corded on one of the tires at the last event i was at. all in all i would say those tires had close to 200 autox passes on them and 7000 street miles.

Saggleman: cause lord knows theres nothing i love more than swallowing condoms full of cocaine