Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW Club AutoX 2-19-12 Brooksville

Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Club AutoX 2-19-12 Brooksville

The weather cooperated and we really enjoyed the course! Actually got to run Mary's Miata during the after lunch 'Fun Runs.' Quite a contrast in HP, and very fun to throw around.

'couple videos from the Stalker'

Mary: Mary BMW Club 2-19-12.wmv - YouTube

Me: Scott BMW Club 2-19-12.wmv - YouTube

She was real close to catching me yesterday..... the neighbors just enjoy it too much when she does

Scott
Old 02-20-2012, 09:53 AM

More than the neighbors enjoy it...but she was catching you yesterday because she was further ahead of the car. Watch the driver's hands in both videos -- she was turning in noticably earlier. You made up for it by yanking the car over hard and counting on the tires to hold on...if you had less tire or less upper body strength, you'd have mowed down half the outbound slalom and the Chicago box.

Break...along the lines of "no one asked me, but..," a couple of suggestions for future events. First and foremost: 30 drivers in a group is too large when there's a car off every 30 seconds -- that's 90 minutes for a 30-car group to get 5 runs, plus added time for the inevitable timing glitches and reruns. Extra timing problems in this case meant two hours per group...imagine what that'll be like in June. Splitting up in to three groups means the workers aren't beat to death, and it's easy to arrange things so no one's dragging in from a couple hours on a course station to drive right away.

Second -- if we're all there by 8am (I think the gate closed at 8:15?), which meant breakfast was sometime between 6 and 7, 2pm is a long time to wait for lunch. (I know...only 7 hours...stop yer whining...but next time, I'm bringing lunch just in case....)

Fun course -- loved the Chicago box, because you really had to work the car to have any hope of getting through it quickly.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Mary does drive with more finess than me, she is clearly smoother. As for upper body strength, not really a factor... the stalker has power steering, you could even turn it. If she would just push the skinny pedal a little harder, she would have gotten me. Take another look at the Chicago box, i think you mixed us up. Having it so close between us is a good thing, her knowing that she could beat me keeps her motivated and THAT lets me go to alot of events!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Three run groups would have been good, thanks for mentioning it. The staff was very short handed.

That timing software ... there has to be a way to shut off the stupid question pop up windows.

Fun course yesterday. I am really dying to see the final results.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by snookwheel
... the stalker has power steering, you could even turn it.
One handed....

Mary carried speed deeper into the Chicago box...you'd have never gotten away with that She needed to use your braking point and her steering reflex.

And why did you look back at the camera coming out of the 180?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by pullg
And why did you look back at the camera coming out of the 180?
He do a hundred thirty mile an hour
Smilin' at the camera
With a toothpick in his mouth

Or...

Because Race Car
Old 02-21-2012, 02:54 AM

Default Auto x

Originally Posted by pullg
More than the neighbors enjoy it...but she was catching you yesterday because she was further ahead of the car. Watch the driver's hands in both videos -- she was turning in noticably earlier. You made up for it by yanking the car over hard and counting on the tires to hold on...if you had less tire or less upper body strength, you'd have mowed down half the outbound slalom and the Chicago box.

Break...along the lines of "no one asked me, but..," a couple of suggestions for future events. First and foremost: 30 drivers in a group is too large when there's a car off every 30 seconds -- that's 90 minutes for a 30-car group to get 5 runs, plus added time for the inevitable timing glitches and reruns. Extra timing problems in this case meant two hours per group...imagine what that'll be like in June. Splitting up in to three groups means the workers aren't beat to death, and it's easy to arrange things so no one's dragging in from a couple hours on a course station to drive right away.

Second -- if we're all there by 8am (I think the gate closed at 8:15?), which meant breakfast was sometime between 6 and 7, 2pm is a long time to wait for lunch. (I know...only 7 hours...stop yer whining...but next time, I'm bringing lunch just in case....)

Fun course -- loved the Chicago box, because you really had to work the car to have any hope of getting through it quickly.
Thanks for the suggestions. This was a Unique event where less than 50% of the usual club members that run the event were there. So that combind with the large turn out made it a learning experience.
We have never had to have 3 run groups, but it is something to consider with a large car count.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:57 AM

Regarding the video of the FTD run, methinks it would be wiser to emulate the driving rather than critique it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 AM

It was fun. We had some new people who enjoyed themselves.
Let's show them some RESULTS for the final touch and then let the bench racing begin.

Take care and see you next time,
Keith R
JFF Racing
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 AM

Scott, what kind of tires are you running?
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493

Quick Reply: BMW Club AutoX 2-19-12 Brooksville