Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

GRRC Events: Race Compound Pads or Street Pads?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRRC Events: Race Compound Pads or Street Pads?

I've signed up to run the GRRC event at Gainesville Raceway test track on March 26th, and was hoping to use my new PFC pads, but after looking at the videos I am not quite sure the speeds of this course would get these pads up operating temperature. Can anyone comment on this? What pads should I run, the race compounds or just street pads?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Sometimes repeated hard braking without a straight to cool them is just as hard on the brakes. You're better off running those PFC's for safety sake. All things I've seen is that PFC 01/06 pads are very gentle to rotors. You might find that the first part of the day is spent getting up to speed on the track...then when you start cooking, you'll start cooking pads. At a minimum, I'd bring them to change at lunch time or just in case.
BMW CCA DE Instructor
BMW CCA 366493
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Car54
Sometimes repeated hard braking without a straight to cool them is just as hard on the brakes. You're better off running those PFC's for safety sake. All things I've seen is that PFC 01/06 pads are very gentle to rotors. You might find that the first part of the day is spent getting up to speed on the track...then when you start cooking, you'll start cooking pads. At a minimum, I'd bring them to change at lunch time or just in case.
not a bad idea. I think what i'll do is throw the PFC pads on the day before so that way I can scrub off any street pad material bonded to the rotor face with cold track pads on the way up there, that way I can bed the track pads at the track on fresh clean rotors.