Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Suncoast PCA Nov 13 and 14th

Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suncoast PCA Nov 13 and 14th

I don't even know if it is still open for registration or not but I thought I would ask a few questions. Will always be useful.

Anybody do a D.E. with them? How was it, I've done what I have been calling HPDE's with Chin and Hooked on Driving, they both give a LOT of track time, I wonder if it's the same thing.

I did a couple SVT Club events and you don't get a lot of on track time as they focus on driver education, you know, dialogue, skid pad, auto-x, on track time.

What is a Suncoast PCA D.E. event like? Lots of track time or what?

At Chin I had to get signed off by an instructor before allowed to Solo. At the other clubs I told them how many track days I have done and they let me solo.

All clubs I have driven with have you fill out a tech form. Some let you sign it, some say get a mechanic to do it and have them sign it. Suncoast says you must have a Porsche certified mechanic stamp and sign it. What the heck is up with that? If I could afford a Porsche I wouldn't mind it.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 AM

Assuming your a PCA member you can do the track events. I ran a few events in 2002-3. I belive they use green=novice ride along, yellow=solo pass in designated spots, red=pass with a point. I'm sure you will get 4-5 sesions per day. PCA doesn't care what other groups you run with, everyone starts with an instructor & you have to follow the PCA line. They won't sign you off until you do two events. I signed off on my own tech form as I'm the only one who works on it. They do a tech at the track checking for loose crap & wheel torque.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

1. you need a tech inspection by a shop
2. you will not get any kind of solo certification if you haven't run with them before
3. they are the most conservative of any club you can run with
4. about half the track time of chin
5. pretty sure its too late to sign up.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM

Those tech form sign off responses conflict.

I thought you had to be a PCA member but I thought only porsche owners could be members. I thought I saw other cars besides Porsche taking part.

Not a big deal, just wondering how it all works.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

you dont need to have a porsche, just need to get a pca membership. they basically just want you to pay their fee. finding an approved shop for a tech isnt hard either. I'm a pca instructor and I dont drive a porsche. not a big deal.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:46 AM

How do you know whose shop is approved and what is the estimated cost?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
you dont need to have a porsche, just need to get a pca membership. they basically just want you to pay their fee. finding an approved shop for a tech isnt hard either. I'm a pca instructor and I dont drive a porsche. not a big deal.
I guess your saying the PCA website membership requirement is no longer valid and that the VIN requirement is now waived? Also for your information the PCA Tech inspection form, www.suncoastpca.org/techform.pdf, doesn't require that it be done by a mechanic, maybe you should read the form, after all your an instructor.

From the PCA website,

While our cars are very exclusive, our club is not. Membership is open to all Porsche owners, co-owners or lessees, who are 18 years of age or older. At the time of joining, the member of record is permitted to name either a member of his or her family to become a family member or other interested person to become an affiliate member, at no additional cost. The family or affiliate member must also be 18 years of age or older.

Last edited by VenWood; 11-12-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
yeah, I drive a miata

Well I'm an affiliate member and I see plenty of non-porsches out there. I also know someone who attended a PCA event that doesn't nor has ever owned a porsche. In my last post I was actually going to add that you should email the registrar of the event (Amy Gustafson for suncoast) to confirm. I run with 4 or 5 different clubs and everyone's rules are different. I know with chin now you can tech your own car but they just recommend you have a shop do it. I know PCA used to make you go with an approved shop (they have a list), but not sure how it works to be honest anymore. I run out of vortex motorsports and they are an approved shop so I have never had to worry about it.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:55 PM
4.6 liter Rice Cooker

Originally Posted by BlueStreak
How do you know whose shop is approved and what is the estimated cost?
OK I give. Why is there a termi in your sig?
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 AM

That's one of my cars of course. I see you have one as well.

I need to get it on the track soon.