Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

I got more wheels (Update - The Steering Kind Too)

Old 07-26-2002, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got more wheels (Update - The Steering Kind Too)

Just in time for the next FSF auto-x I am now the owner of an alternative set of wheels.

I had initialy planned on putting Kumhos on a second hand set of rims but after several months of looking around I realized this was a pretty good deal and would do. Kuhmos would have given me 245s on the front instead of the BFG's 235s and I wanted 8" and 10" rims but I can live with that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1846903093

It will put off my motor, tranny and suspension work for a few months but should have a good short term effect on my auto-x times.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

Geez, that's a lot of backspacing, and it still has a lip .
Old 07-27-2002, 11:09 AM

The backspacing would not normally be so high for my car but I am running a set of 2" spacers up front and 1" spacers in the back so I can use the newer C2 wheels on my car which are a lot easier to find than 17" 930 wheels.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:24 PM
AuH20 in '64

Awesome Tony! Now you have no excuses for not running Rs

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:30 PM
OUCH!!!

Uhhh.. yuh.. his tires are coming with BFG TA/R1's or something like that. True road race tires.

Tony, BTW... you'll want to take it VERY easy your first lap out. R comps are stickier than normal tires even when cold, but give very little warning that you're at the edge of ability. PARTICULARLY when cold. It'll take you at least one lap to get those things warmed up with your car being so light and all...
Old 07-27-2002, 02:51 PM

So I have been told. One nice thing about the 930 having the motor and header squeezed between the rear tires is that it at least acts like a rear tire warmer when it is hot and/or running.

Front traction will be the big question for me with these tires. I will be going back to just 5 gallons of fuel weight in the front like I used to in my pre-Tampa days and start tweaking from there.

Be prepared to see some front inside tire lifting action at the FSF depending on the course set up.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:08 PM

I had a set of those, they were all worn out when I got them, so I just did big fatty burnouts all over the place and tore them up... .
Old 07-27-2002, 09:09 PM

Oh yeah, I just saw some History Channel thing on the Porsche 911, and they did a short segment on the 930....sweet car!
Old 07-29-2002, 06:10 PM

More wheels for the porsche.

To combat an undersized steering wheel that did not help much in a non-power steering car I recently located the proper sized Momo replacement on ebay. I just got it in the mail today.

Not only does it allow me to properly see all my instruments but it should also help at the auto-x. In addtion to being a larger diameter wheel it also has a fatter wheel grip which should help my hold on the wheel and also keep my hands farther from the wiper and turn signal controls.

It will be nice to test it out on the way to work tomorrow.

Also, if anyone is interested my old wheel is for sale if someone wants a 12.5 diameter momo steering wheel.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:32 PM

So you just have an alternate set of wheels or are you looking to sell the others. I woul like to have a set of "cup" wheels for my car.