Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Fuel Surge Tank?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Surge Tank?

Once I have my gst running again (ETA 1.5months) I was going to autocross it. Now with 2g gst's there is an issue with fuel starvation with hard right turns with under 3/4 of a tank. The only solution that I could come up with is a surge tank.

Does anyone run one? Would it be worth it?

The car has the following...
- Tokico Advanced Handling Kit (spring with matched adjustable struts)
- Full Prothane Total Kit Installed
- SS Brake lines
- Evo 3 16g
- I moved the battery to the back(to attempt to move alittle weight back there)
- Quite a few other things but you get the point.

Any help/info on this would be great!

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Fuel starvation w/ 3/4 tank? Really? That seems odd.

I'd start by investigating the cause of it. WHY is there fuel starvation with that much fuel in the tank?

Have you actually experienced the problem yourself first-hand in YOUR car? If not, I'd let the thought simmer until you do. No sense fixing a problem that you don't have.

If it turns out that you do need a surge tank, look to places like the MegaSquirt forum for info. Converting a car from a simple non-return carb setup to a modern full-return fuel injection system often requires the use of a surge tank. Lots of info to be found in that community.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:06 PM

With the GST's the fuel pump is on the far right side of the gas tank. GSX's have duel pickups on both sides so they don't have this problem. As far as me personally, no I never had this issue, but the car was very un-stable before the build so I never pushed it or raced it. But the issue is very documented on dsmtuners.com.

Also, I'll look at the ms forums too.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Can you retrofit a GSX fuel tank to your GST? Would be better than the hassle of a surge tank. Anytime you can use factory parts and minimize extra fuel fittings and crap it's mo'betta.

Or, if the tank can be removed easily enough, you could also look into maybe having a baffle welded into it, or a cup around the fuel pickup or something. (obvious precautions about welding and fuel, yadda yadda) All you really need is something to preserve fuel around your pickup for 5-10 seconds.

Depending on how the fuel pump and the fuel pump are situated and mounted in the tank, you might even be able to get creative and make some sort of bolt-in cup or "shroud" as a part of the pump assembly that you could just drop right into the tank.