Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Attn. Auto-xers - I want to know your gear ratio.

Old 06-27-2002, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn. Auto-xers - I want to know your gear ratio.

I am currently looking for some input on gear ratios to help me make a very important decision.

Please visit the following thread if you would like to help.

https://www.tamparacing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26935
Old 06-27-2002, 06:30 PM
Eat soot

Autoxing you want to look for decent spacing. Grassroots put a rather large emphasis on this in their under 20k pocket rocket car review. And yes, being able to stay in 2nd gear around a course is a huge benefit.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:05 PM

Fortunately the 4 speed in the porsche has some nice gear ratios but its the final ratio that really sucks.

Currently the car is set up to do 198 MPH at 6500 RPM in 4th and you can get all the way up to 60 MPH in first.

I want to usa a 3.05 or 3.10 final ratio to bring my top speed to around 155 MPH and my top first gear speed to around 45 MPH.

I figure I have no need to go faster than that and it will speed me up through the rest of the gears.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Eat soot

Ok, you're car is definitely bad ass and a little different then the new 996 i drove at the porsche driving experience. After driving that car in second gear around the road atlanta autox track, i was almost to the point of being sick it was so fast and had so much torque.

You're car definitely has more torque and the main point of the grm article was to be able to keep your car in one gear (2nd) throughout the autox course, you might be faster if you kept your current ratio and left it in 1st throughout the entire track.

Btw 60 mph was the magic number to reach without shifting.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:12 AM

I think I would agree with the article since often I want to run in second instead of first, but with the current tall gearing 2nd brings the RPMs down too low for the engine to be effective on a small auto-x course.

I have to redline to run 60 in first, and on some auto-x courses I have to shift but I barely get to use 2nd.

2nd is so tall it can take me right past 100, but for in town fun and auto-xing this kind of gearing is useless for me.

The more I look at the feedback coming from the other TR members I am pretty sure I will stick with my current choice of 3.10 gearing.

Thanks for the input since it is helping me to validate a lot of research and calculations I have been doing lately.
Old 06-28-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm Back

Originally posted by "leadfootedfool"

You're car definitely has more torque and the main point of the grm article was to be able to keep your car in one gear (2nd) throughout the autox course, you might be faster if you kept your current ratio and left it in 1st throughout the entire track.

Btw 60 mph was the magic number to reach without shifting.
The problem Tony would run into leaving the current gearing is that if he left in in first and ran the course high up in the gear, everytime he lifted off the gas the car would jerk and nose dive b/c of the engine braking. He would be able to get alot smoother run and line through the course if he could work another gear in there.

Cars:
1965 Pontiac GTO
2001 Chevy 2500HD