Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

What size wheels?

Old 06-18-2002, 06:48 PM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size wheels?

Eventually I'm going to get a set of designated auto-xing wheels and tires. Currently I have my stock 15x6 Focus wheels sitting in storage...but right now I am running on 16x6.5 Cougar wheels. Would there be any advantage/disadvantage to running on the 15's? My tire choice would most likely be the Victo Racers in 205/50-15 sizing. Are these going to be too wide for my wheels?
Old 06-18-2002, 06:51 PM
AuH20 in '64

I would think you would be better advantaged in running the larger wheel. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people can answer you. What's the dilly-o on these Victo racers?/ Why not jump on the Azenis wagon??? I'm considering the Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions. My dad put them on my mom's new buick and OMG the difference is amazing.

Originally Posted by XYNaPSE
Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:03 PM

The lower the tire profile the better.

One of the biggest enemies of proper handling is tire sidewall flex when under lateral loading.

The wider and taller the tire the better, but keep the profile low.

Concidering that there is only a 0.5 inch difference in width between the two sets of rims, my suggestion is to go with the widest low profile tire you can put on the 16s.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:05 PM
drives euro trash

Joe, VictoRacers are an R-compound tire unlike the Azenis. MaD grIpZ yO!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:15 PM
AuH20 in '64

WERD son!! How much are those shits gonna set you back, g? And thanks Anthony, that was my reasoning for telling him to go with the bigger wheel.

Article I Section 8 gives Congress the power to do whatever Congress deems necessary.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:24 PM
drives euro trash

I am on a budget though. I have the 15's sitting with no tires on them. If I wanted to go with 16's I would have to buy another set because there is no way in hell I would drive around on r-compounds.

$115 per tire for the VictoRacers in 205/50-15. Maybe I can find them for a better price locally though.

Shit. Realized that I won't be able to make it to the next FSF event due to prior plans made about 2-3 months ago. So maybe I will have time to save for a spare set of 16's.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:28 PM
AuH20 in '64

I'm thinking of doing that to my Focus, whenever the hell they find one w/ my options The problem is I'm having seperation anxiety problems with the Camaro. I really don;t want to get rid of it...it has soo much to give in the Auto-X. Imagine what I could do with a balanced car, and some sticky tires! eeek!!!!! I'm trying to convince the parents to allow me to keep the Camaro when I get the Focus.

Old 06-18-2002, 07:31 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by "87IROC"

I'm thinking of doing that to my Focus, whenever the hell they find one w/ my options The problem is I'm having seperation anxiety problems with the Camaro. I really don;t want to get rid of it...it has soo much to give in the Auto-X. Imagine what I could do with a balanced car, and some sticky tires! eeek!!!!! I'm trying to convince the parents to allow me to keep the Camaro when I get the Focus.
Depending on the class you want to run in, they may not allow R-compound tires. I'm running SM eventually, so it won't be a problem.
Old 06-18-2002, 07:36 PM
AuH20 in '64

I was thinking of some certain modifications and was planning on SM too

Old 06-18-2002, 07:42 PM

I kind of know how you feel. I bought a set of high mileage Toyos several months ago when my old rubber was shot and I didn't think I would be auto-xing again for a while.

Now that I'm getting back into auto-xing I'm stuck with a full set of hard compound street tires with thousands of miles left on them. I would really like to get a set of Kumhos but another set of rims would set me back over $1,200.

With the mods I have planned money will be tight for a while so I may have to run a couple more autocrosses on the toyos before I make the switch to some more competitive rubber.