Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

**New to racing? Read here First!** and "How You Can Help"

Old 05-31-2002, 07:48 AM
AuH20 in '64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **New to racing? Read here First!** and "How You Can Help"

Autocross Newbie Handbooks:
Solo II Handbook- Some of the info regarding classes is outdated in this one.
Another Auto-X FAQ

What types of events are there?
Road racing/Circuit Racing = Wheel to wheel racing on a big track like Sebring
Road Rally = Car rally that takes place on public roads.
Rally-X (American version) = Low speed timed event on a dirt lot with cones.
Auto-X = Low speed timed event on a tarmac lot with cones.
HPDE/Open Track/Track Day/PDX = Driver education, no racing nor timing, on a big track like Sebring.
Stage Rally/Pro Rally = High speed time trials on closed roads.
Time attack/Time Trials/Track Trials/Club Trials = High speed timed event on a big track like Sebring.
Hillclimb = High speed time trials on closed roads going uphill.

Who are the people holding events in this area?
Click Here

When are the events?
Click Here

Where are the autocross events?
The closest events are held in Brooksville, St. Pete, Zephyrhills, Ft. Myers, Gainesville, Lakeland and Orlando.
Check the event schedule for more info.

Helmets?
Where to get one locally?
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/a...uy-helmet.html

Which one do I need?
Every club is different. Read through each club's web page to see what is required. Click Here

Any other helmet question is probably answered on this page.
http://racinghelmetguide.com/

Last edited by w0rd; 01-29-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Purpose of this thread

This thread has been here as a sticky for... years. I just retitled it and hope to see more good info posted here to help people a) learn how to get started autocrossing and b) learn what they can do to help.

Relevant information is welcome in this thread. However, this being a sort of "archive" for information, frivolous posts will be deleted. If you have questions, please start a new topic and ask them there. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:35 PM

Default General Novice Advice

First, if you're a first-timer, be sure to read the novice guide linked to in the first post of this thread. You can search around and find lots of similar guides, but they all say about the same stuff and that one is well written and thorough. It's a good idea to check the website of the specific club you will be autocrossing with, as well. You may find some information on how THEY do things that could be very helpful to you.

Next, understand that with very few exceptions, autocrosses are run by car clubs and staffed by volunteers. Nobody is getting paid to do all of the planning, organizing and setup involved in putting on an autocross, and there's more to it than you might think. So, try to respect the fact that these people have volunteered their time so that you can have a good time!

How can you help? As a novice, the best thing you can do is try to show up early and simply ask "how can I help?" If you can't make it out early, try to arrange to stay late to help clean up. After you've been autocrossing for a while, you might try to learn some of the more specific critical tasks. For instance, you might ask "how does that timing equipment work, and can I help you set it up so that I might be able to set it up FOR you next time?" The more you learn, the more involved you can be. The more involved you are, the more fun you will have!
Old 09-26-2004, 06:51 PM

Default How You Can Help

In addition to a lot of good Novice info, there is some good info about how you can get involved and help at an autocross on the FAST website. Most of this information will apply pretty closely to any other autocross club.

Some of the areas you can help in:
Timing
Registration
Tech Inspection
Course Design and Setup
Safety
Event Organization
Getting Supplies, Lunch, etc.

Last edited by w0rd; 05-23-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Changed URL for FAST
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
plain old member

Default What Class Am I In?

SCCA has posted it's solo2 rule book online at the SCCA.com web site.

See apendix A for classes. Read the categories (Stock, Street Prepared, etc) for the allowed modifications in each category.
www.C21Beggins.com - Buy, Sell, Invest!

Last edited by w0rd; 06-29-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: old info
Old 09-05-2005, 10:08 AM
yes, my camel is fast.

I would like to get into the auto cross scene but it is so confusing. Every where i look i seem to come to dead ends. Is there some where, where there is a set of rules on the types of cars that can be used, motors,.and etc. I have two other friends that are also intrested. our cars are as follows mine is a 98 240sx ( no not a drifter), a 90 mazda miata, and a 89 crx. if any one can point us in a good direction to start auto crossing it would be awesome. thnx
Old 09-05-2005, 10:15 AM

Classing can be confusing, and each club has their own classing rules. Forget about classing for now. Concentrate on safety issues. Is your car safe? Good tires? Good brakes? No loose steering or suspension parts? Nothing hanging off of the car?

Okay, now that your car is safe... Go to an autocross. Let them know you're a newb. Have fun! Learn about classing and other rules as you go.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:50 PM
yes, my camel is fast.

thanks for the info. My car has alot of time into setting it up to drift, but it is so common to see a 240 drift that i decided to get in to a more driver based sport. so as far as safe it is safe and most the time all together and the suspension is a fully adjustable. But to the point i plan to go to the oct 15 event. But i dont know if that is a good event or if i need to be part of a club before you go to the event. thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Lurk & Snap

Yea im a newb, more info on AutoX traXx would be nice.

thanks
Old 09-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Okay, folks. Locking this thread, it's starting to get too cluttered. It's not here for you to ask questions in. It's here to provide answers and links to answers. READ this thread. CLICK the links and READ some more. Go to the sticky SCHEDULE thread, CLICK the individual club links and READ what each club has to say on their website.

After you do all of that reading, if you still have questions, please feel free to start a new thread and ask them. But... please make an attempt to use the resources provided here FIRST.

To any autocross club officials and other kind souls, please contact me or another moderator if you have anything you'd like to add to this thread and we'll get it in here.