Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

$2009 GRM Challenge

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2009 GRM Challenge

Tod and I are leaving for the $2009 GRM Challenge on Thursday. Wish us luck!!
If no one else shows up in the under $1,000 class we'll have a really good shot at it. We actually have $12 left in the budget.

Nothing sexier than a '92 Civic 4 door with hello kitty stickers on it. Umm..... I might be wrong about that.
Anyway we have cut springs, some used victoracers, a NOS kit, and Hello Kitty Stickers. I'm crossing my fingers really hard hoping it lives though the weekend. (Don't tell Tod I wrote that, I told him NOS is really safe.) Oh, and we asked a newly retired guy to drive it.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 AM
rocktastic

I think you'll be surprised at the amount of abuse those d-series engines will take before letting go. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

^ that's what i told him but i also told him the sohc cylinder walls won't play very long with nitrous. our friend used to go through bottle fed stock d series engines like kleenex but they won't be beating on them as hard as he did.

Good luck Mark and post up how you are doing when you can.

By the way if you see an EMT named Terry up at Gainesville tell him Angela said hi. Really good guy.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Good luck, guys! When you're done with the GRM challenge, sell $500 worth of stuff off of the Civic and turn it into a LeMons racer!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:39 PM

Do you have any left over Hello Kitty stickers? LOL. My brother and I didn't get a chance to paint our GRM Miata(nor do we have budget left) and have some big spots without paint we need to cover up.

Are you driving or trailering you car?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

How did it go? How did you guys do? I know it had to suck because of the ungracious heat but still had to be fun.

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Not sure how Hello Kitty made out, but my brother and I took 14th in the auto-x, 27th in the drags, 34th in the concours, and 23rd overall with out Shikaka Miata. We thought for sure that we'd be a top ten 10 auto-x car, but we had open diff, stock tranny, stock brakes, stock clutch, and our 6 year old Hoosiers weren't as sticky as we thought. Lessons learned for $2010.

AB
Old 10-13-2009, 06:39 AM

I like to look at it this way, we beat about 17 cars.
In reality, we just wanted to be part of the fun, so our placement did not matter.

The drag times were 17.5 without the NOS, and 16.9 with the NOS. Not a huge difference, though the trap speed was almost 20 mph faster.
We did win 3 of the 4 head to head drags, so there was a small sense of pride.
In hind sight I would have spent the money on rear shocks and sway bar, since the autocross times seemed really tight.

We hit the Martin club road course event on Saturday for fun and I think we surprised a few of those entrants with our little 4 door.
Very nice guys over at the Martin club. They let us cut in line and we did not even have to work.

We placed in the bottom 8 in the car show judging, inspiring me to try for last place in 2010. Wish me luck.
Time to start building next year's car, but I think I'll leave the NOS at home.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:30 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Power with no suspension to push it will leave you with mph and no lower 1/4 ET i guess.

Sounds like you had a good time. That is what I would be out for