Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Registering for PCA Zephryhills

Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
The Fat Cobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spin Out
Loren has it right about ride alongs. No ride alongs with out instructors, and the instructor has to be a PCA member. My understanding is that we get event insurance through PCA National and they make the rules.

If someone is willing to sit at registration and record the tire classes, I will gladly ask for a street tire class for the "others". They said "yes" the last time I asked, but I had to go around reading tires. I did it again at a 2nd event, and then got real tired of it.
you're so punny mark.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Spin..

So weather is saying rain in the AM..

will there be an event if its a light rain and the Radar is showing clearing up by 10 or so?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

That surface is SO fun when it's wet! All of that wonderful sand turns to something between the consistency of snot and grease, it's great!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

looking at the radar ... umm how did your day go?

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM

It was raining off and on all morning... sometimes profusely. We finally gave up around 10am and everyone (20-25 people) migrated to Village Inn for breakfast! Got back a little after noon and it was drying, and by 2pm it was beautiful and sunny!

We ended up doing 5 runs, and then some fun runs. 3 drivers flogged our LeMons car, I think it's just about ready to race.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM

the morning..

Later

Car ran great. Have one noise to identify..

B
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Hey, Barry... I ended up running a 61.3 in the Yaris! (best in the 325 was 67.1 in the semi-damp early session)

There was a bit more grip later in the afternoon, but I think the biggest thing was that I trusted the Yaris more. More specifically, I trusted it to stay on the line that I wanted to stay on. The 325 is very easy to control, but when it's sliding around... sometimes you take up a little more track than you intended!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
Race Photographer

im glad I didnt head out there then.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 AM

61.3 is smoking fast. Good job.
The course finally dried up late in the day, and you could almost sweep the sweeper like it was meant to be done.
Loren's earlier comment about what it is like wet was right on. Kind or like oily sand on a polished surface.
SpinOut Spun Out in the straight behind the sweeper. How do you spin in a straight? Well that's retorical, because I found out how first hand.
I think I managed a fun run of 59.99 dirty, and a clean 60.0X. Jack said he managed a little better in his S2K. It was a very fun course once it was dry. You'll just have to trust me on that.

Oh, And I want top thank every one that showed up because I did not hear one complaint. Thanks for being good sports.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 AM

I thought the course was a hoot "wet" (though we really didn't drive in the wet... trust me, it's WAY more slippery when it's wet). It was a good lesson in throttle control for me, as more than about 1/4 throttle coming out of a turn would kick the back end out about 2 feet. Had to wait until the car was almost straight to lay into it. Braking straight was pretty critical, too!

I got into trouble with the Yaris, though. I was carrying a lot more speed going into the turn-around, and kept blowing the braking zone. On my last run, I completely blew it and drove between the cones on the far cone wall!

ZephyrHills gives you a whole new perspective on "grip" or the lack thereof. I highly recommend it as a learning tool. You'll learn more about car control there than you will at a site like Brooksville.

Oh, and there were no complaints because anyone who showed up for that event knew what to expect! We knew it was raining when we got there, and was likely to rain off and on all day. I think everyone was very happy that it cleared up!