Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

the diffrence between tire HUM and tire SQUEAL

Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 PM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the diffrence between tire HUM and tire SQUEAL

this is an art form that street tire drivers learn to acquire... where race tires grip till they let go, street tires are designed to go way beyond the limit of grip. and they usually make a very distinctive sound..

driving the nurburgring is tough enough but to NEVER push a street tire car beyond it's limits is an art form. pay attention to this lap the tires NEVER squeal but they are almost always humming.

this is a 7 something lap. I've been to the "ring" twice now and can only manage 11min in a street car. so this is a GREAT lesson. also this lap was done in an AUTOMATIC... not even a paddle shifter..

pretty wild
New Video: Watch Cadillac CTS-V Set Nurburging Lap Record
Old 05-17-2008, 01:37 AM

Good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Do you mind me asking how you got to drive the ring....twice? I mean, are we lucky enough to have a professional driver roaming these boards with us?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:45 AM
The Fat Cobra

All DOT R-tires I have driven on will squeal and slide. The difference between grip and spin is a lot closer, though!
Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 AM
legend behind the cowl

I'm hardly a "professional" for that it would have to be my sole source of income. and I'm not there, not by a mile. But I appreciate the complement.

however I guess I can put together another trip.. it's pretty simple a week long trip with airfare, Car Rental, and hotel can be done for Just over $1000 on the cheap and $2000 if you want to go high class. (perhaps a bit more with the currently bad exchange rate) the way is in the numbers. if you can get 10 people willing to go for a week you have a lot more purchasing power. 5 rooms 3-4 rental cars.

one time however I had to attend a conference in Stuttgart and I just drove my rental car the 4 or so hours to get there. the Ring is a awesome place usually around 1:00 or 2:00 PM the factories wrap up their testing and the cars start packing the parking lot. Zondas, 911s, Buggattis.. and you can follow the one you want through the toll, the ring is a "toll oneway autobahn" it's a 14 euro "toll" to enter and you get to do a lap. (14 mile lap) that's all there is. no helmets required since it's a public unlimited road. Just pay the toll and GO. that's why as a visitor it's fine to take a rental car there.

and in Germany 70% of the rentals are manual transmissions too. so they don't look funny when you ask for a 335i with a stick as a rental.

Originally Posted by TAJRacing45
Good stuff! Thanks for posting!

Do you mind me asking how you got to drive the ring....twice? I mean, are we lucky enough to have a professional driver roaming these boards with us?