Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

New Season, What Are Your Plans?

Old 01-02-2008, 04:46 AM
The Fat Cobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Season, What Are Your Plans?

I saw how competitive the FAST A class was last season, so I plan to run that class at FAST events this season. I need to remount my road race tires until I can swing the cash for some autox race tires. I also plan to run BMWCCA events when I can, as those guys are a fun and well organized group.

So. . . . What does everyone else plan to do this year?
Old 01-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Blasian Sensation

Just got the 08 Altima Coupe, so I dont think I'll be racing it anytime soon I do miss my 02 SpecV though
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

I'll do as many SCCA and FAST events as possible. I always try for two events per month. I may end up at the odd Porsche event since I like that site so much.

Who knows, I may even step foot out of my comfort zone this year, and seek my first track event. Funds and the risk of losing my car have always kept me from it in the past, but it sure would be nice to drive with haste around Ocala Grand Prix or the Gainesville road course - a small, low-speed track.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:24 AM

My plans are as loose as ever. I plan to finish the Megasquirt project on the Spitfire, which may or may not ever seen regular autocross competition. I plan to attend autocrosses on the same casual basis that I have for the past couple years. I plan to do a couple track events, though I don't know in what car... anybody want to get into track events and need a personal instructor?

And I plan to do the 24 Hours of LeMons with Barry & company.

That's pretty much my year in a nutshell.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Race Photographer

finish my car to a point that I can drive it around the block at least. Maybe attend 1 event finally before the year is up.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm ordering some new R-compounds for the MSM in an attempt to beat that Muddy Character.

I also stripped another 100lbs (and counting) off the Fiero.
If I can manage to add in some HP, I'll take her back to the GRM Challenge.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Race Photographer

the fiero has the 2.8 in it?

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Spin Out where did you find another 100 lbs at?

Muddy have fun beating up on Ron in his Miata in the Fast A Class. I want to come out to one of those and have fun running against him as well.

I'll be running at SCCA Palm Bay regularly, Brooksville occasionaly and maybe Gainesville with the Bucaneer group if they give me points for my region.

I'll be running at the BMW events as per usual and the PCA events when I can as well.

The basic idea is to autox 2x's a month and finally get going on my Hankooks.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
The Fat Cobra

Originally Posted by chi town brat
Spin Out where did you find another 100 lbs at?

Muddy have fun beating up on Ron in his Miata in the Fast A Class. I want to come out to one of those and have fun running against him as well.

I'll be running at SCCA Palm Bay regularly, Brooksville occasionaly and maybe Gainesville with the Bucaneer group if they give me points for my region.

I'll be running at the BMW events as per usual and the PCA events when I can as well.

The basic idea is to autox 2x's a month and finally get going on my Hankooks.
I won't be running away with 1st place at FAST events with my medium compound hankook z211s, but I should be competitive. Hopefully I can afford some v710s in a few months.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rosko
Who knows, I may even step foot out of my comfort zone this year, and seek my first track event. Funds and the risk of losing my car have always kept me from it in the past, but it sure would be nice to drive with haste around Ocala Grand Prix or the Gainesville road course - a small, low-speed track.
Personally, I feel safer driving around Sebring than I did at OGP. There is very little runoff room at OGP for a car, and the walls (even though they're plastic... they'd still tear up your car) are far too close to the track in places where you want to be really pushing it.

As for Gainesville, I've never seen anyone run anything there that wasn't just a glorified autocross. One lap or two. (really, that's all you can do at OGP... I think we did 5-lap sessions with the MINI club)

What I'm saying is... go to Sebring. Most of the track at Sebring is plenty wide enough to allow for mistakes. If you're paranoid about wrecking your car, just don't push it in the few places that can get you into serious trouble. (those places are: Turn 1, the exit of Turn 16, and Turn 17)