Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

24 hours of Lemons at Thunderhill

Old 01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Lucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bam, thanks for the PM, I havent been on TR at all this holiday season. Happy New Year everyone. I start school again Monday so my weekday evenings are shot except for Fridays. Weekends are wide open. How about we meet either the evening of 1/11 or 1/12 or 1/13 and get this show going? I live in St. Pete, but why not meet at Bam's house so we can be introduced to the cars and each other. Order a pizza perhaps? (or two or three depending on how many are coming)

I cant wait!

~James
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 AM

I don't care about the theme, but I wouldn't go overboard with it. Show up with a car with too much "polish" and you're just asking for the dreaded People's Curse. In fact, I'd go as far as to bang a couple extra ugly dents into the car!

Might be fun to dress the car as if it were a lesser make rather than a BMW. You know how people put Mercedes badges on Hondas, or body kit their Miata to make it look like a Z3... do the opposite. Oh, I know... dress it as a Mazda Protege, since that's what won last time!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
legend behind the cowl

I'm a big fan of building on a pirate theme, after all we are from Tampa bay, complete with jugs of homemade rum and pillaging.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM

Pirates, that could work. And me fun..
I know if the hacker groups there is a Whole pirates VS Ninja thing.
But it could be fun..

Loren RE spares, I have a complete front and rear suspension. Fuel pump, engine and 5 speed. So rather than bring out a spare car, its easier to bring out the parts that are already out of the car.

Plus one of the drivers, has a shop and is willing to pull some stock off the shelves to also have as spares. RE water pump etc.. If we dont use it he just returns it to stock. So I think we will definatly be able to keep the car in race till the end.
So rather than bring a spare car we can already have the parts ready. I am not agaist taking another car, but its about a 5mpg differance for the 2 car trailer.
What ever the team decides , I can take one or 2 cars.

B

Here is another thread on the BMW site.. Where I was asking for input from some other BMW owners.
racing with only $200 to spend. - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

Last edited by bam2002; 01-03-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:13 PM

There's some great advice in that thread. Sounds like the chip is a better option than I expected. For $30, it's probably worth doing. But, it's definitely not worth going overboard on power mods.

If the chip is easy to swap, I'd seriously consider using the STOCK chip until like the last 4 hours. That would serve the purpose of helping us to "sandbag" a little bit in the early hours (where there really isn't much benefit to doing anything more than getting familiar with the track and just staying on the same lap as the rest of the field), keeping us from looking like a hotdog and getting the People's Curse, and giving the extra edge when we need it later in the race.

Regarding spares... a 5mpg hit adds up to almost $300 for the round trip. It's probably worth it. Individual spares are great, but as sure as you don't bring a part, THAT will be the part that breaks. It would suck to be out of the race for 3-4 hours or more trying to round up some stupid little part that we didn't bring.

I've learned that the more prepared you are, the less likely it is that anything will go wrong. It's always that thing that you aren't prepared for that gets you.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 AM

So for a time to meet up. If every one is OK with coming out to Brandon to look at the cars..
I am open this Sunday the 6th. Sun 13th or Sun 27th.

Once we set a date and time. Email me at barry@24hr.us for directions.

So I will look into getting a chip, new rotors and pads.
Also pick up some steel and hardware to make the swaybars adjustable.
The rest we can figure out as we go along.

B
Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Lucky

I am willing to take the extra car to NC behind the motorhome. I would feel better racing one car and having a complete spare rather then hoping we bring the right spare parts. But as Bam said, I have no problem going along with the team concensus.
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM

I have a 2 car 5th wheel trailer so I can eaisly tow both the race and spare car. I just wanted to let evey one know it was going to cost more in fuel. Since as of now it looks like we will be taking up 2 Duallys ( one towing cars and one towing an enclosed trailer) Plus the motor home. The Duallys are Diesel. But fuel costs will be up there for all of us to split.

with 8 people it will be 3 hours of driving each. But from what I have read you will be worn out after a hour..
I think we can keep costs down with the motorhome and make sure we get the most for our $$ by taking up spares. Meaning getting to complete the race.
But I just wanted evey one to know Im guessing its going to run $300 for enterance fees. Then fuel for the race and getting there and back.

For gear evey one will need at least single layer driving fire suits. Shoes/ gloves. Or nomex socks. Plus a SA rated helmet , We may be able to share these. I have one.
Then the cost of a cage, ( I am hoping to get it for the cost of materials) , A fire extinguser, Race approved gas tanks to re fuel the car. Window net. I already have a fuel cell if we want to go that route.
New tires, brakes and rotors. One of the drivers owns a shop so we can get things at his cost.

So when all is said and done Im guessing at least $600 to $800 to do this event..

To me its still a great deal considering a track day is $200 to $500 for 3 hours of driving with an instructor. No passing in the corners, etc.. VS this will be real racing.

I cant wait.

Last edited by bam2002; 01-04-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
legend behind the cowl

do some calculations on how long the fuel will last, I have a car that gets similar mileage to a 2.5 BMW and a 12 gallon tank only lasts 1.5 hours of hard track running, maybe 2hrs at CMP, I truly believe drive for a tank and switch is the best method, and since we don't have fast fill fuel it'll take longer to check the tires/brakes and fuel up then it will to switch drivers. less time off the track more laps.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 AM

I agree that pit time will be costly. So we can swap drivers as we refuel.
I can look into a way to quick fuel using the fuel cell. Or we could run 2 tanks and fill in 2 spots.

A new article on the race..

http://reviews.carreview.com/blog/24-hours-of-lemons-at-thunderhill-3-times-a-charm/

SO when can every one meet up? Next sunday the 13th?? Or see post above re dates. OR suggest one..

B