Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Someone with a rule book

Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Race Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone with a rule book

Can you tell me the rules on a battery cut-off switch if one is needed.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 AM
legend behind the cowl

for what series, what class and what type of racing? Most road racing YES Drag and autocross usually not. performance rally yes. even then it depends on the class. more info please!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Race Photographer

SCCA rule book, not building a spec car, I just need a general idea.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM

SCCA Solo II or SCCA club racing?

I assume you're talking about autocross. You still need to define a class, though. Prep rules are not the same for all classes and categories.

The Solo II Rule book is online:
http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%2...7SoloRules.pdf

Some of the SCCA club racing rules are also online:
SCCA - Sports Car Club of America
Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Race Photographer

How about this, they are only a few different styles of cut off switches that i know of. Is there one thats universally acceptable by all? NHRA is requiring the pull/push lever styles only now.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM
legend behind the cowl

grab one yourself
http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/UpdatedGCR.pdf

it don't cost nutin.

if you can't here is it, looks like they don't care of the style of switch as long as it's properly located and properly labeled

9.3.33. MASTER SWITCHAll cars, except Showroom Stock and Touring shall be equipped with a master switch easily accessible from outside the car. Spec Racer Fords shall be wired per RFSRII. The master switch shall be installed directly in either battery cable and shall cut all electrical circuits but not an on-board fire system. All terminals of the master switch shall be insulated to prevent shorting out. It shall be clearly marked by the international marking of a spark in a blue triangle and mounted in a standard location. Off position shall be clearly indicated at the master switch location. The standard locations shall be as follows:A. Formula and Sports Racing Cars - In proximity to the right-hand member of the roll bar, but in a location so that it cannot be operated accidentally. It can be mounted on a bracket welded to the inside of the upright member or mounted so that the operating lever or knob is outside of the body panel immediately in-board of the upright member. This is the standard location on Formula cars built to the Constructor’s Association requirements for Formula

1.B. Closed Sports Racing Cars, Production Cars, Improved Touring and GT Cars - In front of the windshield on either the cowl or on top of the fender, but close enough to the windshield to be accessible if the car is overturned. Alternatively, it may be mounted below the center of the rear window or on a bracket welded, clamped or bolted to the roll cage or dash, easily accessible through the open window. (Drilling of holes in roll cage to attach the bracket is prohibited.)

C. Open Production, GT, and Improved Touring Cars - May exercise a choice among the above locations.

Last edited by treekiller; 12-19-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Race Photographer

Thanks I used to have a rule book that was a few years old. Still lost on roll bar mounting, sounds weird to do it there.

Anyone use these on here? I was sorta interested if you guys had recommendations for brands to use as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Do It In The Dirt

Germ, NHRA recenlty revised their rule so that all switches must be pushed into the off position. Presumably this was done so that if a car backs into the wall or whatever, the switch may turn itself off.

That's the only thing I could suggest, is to set yours up that way so it is NHRA legal.

My Rail Buggy
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
legend behind the cowl

I am going to retort, this is a BAD idea for a road racing car. and even worse an idea for a rally car. the rule stated above might work in drag racing but that dog does not hunt in any form of motorsports longer then 1320. in REAL racing there is no second chance, an accidental trip of a cut-off could prove disastrous. I want someone to enter turn one at sebring and turn off there engine mid turn, instant wall spot. NHRA apparently is not concerned with cars that cross train. in my opinion another reason not to waste time going straight.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Race Photographer

Im a little lost on the accidental trip of it? I can see with an interior roll bar mounted style.I know what your saying if it did cut off, but I've never heard of any of the push pull styles accidentally tripping themselves.