Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

DE day, Time Trial, and autocross/drift day

Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DE day, Time Trial, and autocross/drift day

As always I'm working outside of the box on some potential events, after talking with my old friend that run Motorsports Club Northeast.. (used to be NASA Northeast) and remembering old events I did I was thinking about using the resources I already have, and running an event like they do.

How would everyone feel about a Track day with a different twist. $90 would get you in a DE run group and entry into the time trial (Time trial is done at lunch) another DE session and then finish up with an autocross or I was thinking about inviting the drift guys to compete. the numbers will have to be limited to keep the sessions small, and like an autocross you would have to work for some of the time.

The way this is possible is running the event on a Roval. (an oval and the infield making a road course) I have talked to Ocala Speedway and they would be interested in having us. it'll be a smaller course but with left and rights and camber it will be entertaining

i can set it up to be 5 turns in .5 miles leaving the back straight for a passing zone. it's the perfect opportunity to get on the track cheap.

we did this in Nazareth Speedway back in 01 I think, Now Nazareth is longer at .8 miles, however we never could talk them into letting us use the infield, or let us run Clockwise, despite that I had a blast there!

video from that event (not my car, but I love finding old stuff on the interweb)
http://www.markclancy.com/96cobra/Na...areth01-01.mpg

I did the math and I can make this work. who is interested?

Jeff
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
who stole my intercooler?

sounds interesting
Old 10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
WOMBAT Racing

I would be down for something like this.

Josh
Old 10-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Race Photographer

btw I just read compete, you know if the drift guys came out, you would need to get some judges if you went that route with them.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 10-25-2007, 05:48 AM

Nothing against the drift guys, but it's such a completely different gig and a different mindset that I'm not sure it fits with what you're doing. If nothing else, I'd be concerned about them "hitting stuffs" around the track and leaving you either responsible for it or worse yet ruining your relationship with the track owner, or your good standing with your insurance company.

Generally speaking, most of your autocross and track day types make a pretty strong effort to not damage their cars. From what I've seen, in the drifting world, breaking the car is just part of the game. Consider the liability.

I know of at least two locations that have banned drifting due to property damage or percieved carelessness. (SPC and OGP)
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Comprehensive

Why not GIR's test track? Far better than a "roval".
Old 10-25-2007, 12:47 PM
legend behind the cowl

The same problem that I have with OGP, they are great fun tracks to use for auto cross, but not wide enough to have passing 25" wide is ok for the time trial but not for the open track session. in contrast OS is close to 70 feet wide. better, different horses for different courses. To be honest I'm always impressed how much fun I have on ovals or rovals. it's got a different mojo about it. i just ran Pocono east a couple weeks ago and you come out of... (5 I think) on to nascar straight track out set up for the left hander up against the wall so you can hear the tires reflecting noise off it.. it's a pisser.

Loren: Agreed...

Last edited by treekiller; 10-25-2007 at 12:50 PM.