Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

McLaren fined $100 million

Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLaren fined $100 million

McLaren stripped of constructors' points and fined $100 million in Formula One spy case - Yahoo! Sports

By ROB MURRAY, AP Sports Writer

September 13, 2007

PARIS (AP) -- The McLaren team was fined $100 million and stripped of its points in the constructors' standings Thursday in the spying scandal that has rocked the sport

McLaren, which leads the current drivers' and constructors' standings, was punished by the World Motor Sports Council for allegedly using leaked secret technical documents belonging to F1 rival Ferrari.

Team drivers Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, currently 1-2 in the championship standings, were not punished and can continue to compete for the season title.

``Ferrari is satisfied that the truth has now emerged,'' the Italian team said in a statement.

The $100 million penalty includes McLaren's expected loss of income, and McLaren still could be penalized for the 2008 championship, FIA said in a statement after a hearing.

``We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home,'' McLaren team chief Ron Dennis said. ``The issue is: was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today.''

McLaren escaped the harshest possible penalty, as FIA could have kicked the team and its drivers out of the 2007 and 2008 championships. In December, FIA will decide on any possible sanctions against McLaren for the 2008 season.

FIA said it did not penalize McLaren's drivers ``due to exceptional circumstances'' because they provided evidence in exchange for immunity.

``We believe we have grounds for appeal,'' team chief Ron Dennis said. ``But of course we are going to wait for the findings of the FIA which are going to be published. The most important thing is that we go motor racing this weekend, the rest of the season and next season.''

Continue reading here

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM
I race sailboats

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Sexist

I can't support F1 anymore. They've never been very high on Americans and since Bernie shafted Tony George's Indy bid and Red Bull dumping Scott Speed I couldn't care less about F1.

The racing was sub-par anyway. Follow the leader. Yawn.

The IRL has it all over F1 when it comes to watching drivers actually compete.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Actually, Monza wasn't too bad...everyone hanging it out, and Hamilton was going around people on the outside.

McLaren losing constructor's points is irrelevant in the big picture. As long as TV shows McLarens leading Ferarris around the track, and Hamilton and Alonso continue to generate more media interest -- and sponsor exposure -- then any other pair of drivers, no one will take a Ferarri championship seriously. Even a $100M fine is a managable loss. So it's losing a trophy...which if Ferarri has any pride at all, they'll hide in the back of the case.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Mazing

Originally Posted by pullg
Actually, Monza wasn't too bad...everyone hanging it out, and Hamilton was going around people on the outside.

McLaren losing constructor's points is irrelevant in the big picture. As long as TV shows McLarens leading Ferarris around the track, and Hamilton and Alonso continue to generate more media interest -- and sponsor exposure -- then any other pair of drivers, no one will take a Ferarri championship seriously. Even a $100M fine is a managable loss. So it's losing a trophy...which if Ferarri has any pride at all, they'll hide in the back of the case.

my thoughts exactly. i still love f1, and this season has seen more passing than any of the last 8 years. the top four drivers have at least 3 wins each i believe. if it weren't for ferrari failures, the championship would be closer between the top 2 teams
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

I love F1 and definitely root against McLaren. I wish for Hamilton to fail for the rest of the year. However, I don't agree with this decision. It seems way too harsh. I believe Ron Dennis when he says the following...

"Today's evidence given to the FIA by our drivers, engineers and staff clearly demonstrated that we did not use any leaked information to gain a competitive advantage".

"We have never denied that the information from Ferrari was in the personal possession of one of our employees at his home. The issue is: was this information used by McLaren? This is not the case and has not been proven today."

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
I can't support F1 anymore. They've never been very high on Americans and since Bernie shafted Tony George's Indy bid and Red Bull dumping Scott Speed I couldn't care less about F1.

The racing was sub-par anyway. Follow the leader. Yawn.

The IRL has it all over F1 when it comes to watching drivers actually compete.
Holy Moly. You and I couldn't be further apart on this subject. I laughed hysterically when I found out there would be no more F1 racing at that embarrassing "track" called IMS. Foreigners probably think it's the best we have ... when we have Road America, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca and now Miller Motorsports Park, among others. Give it time. It will be back, and hopefully at a better track.

I do agree with your thoughts on Scott Speed, though. I feel slighted that he was so unceremoniously sent packing.

IRL? Round and round and round. Now, for me, that's not as exciting, but it was nice to see Dario win it all a few days ago. I prefer Champ Car, but I don't prefer watching Bourdais win it all ... again.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Sexist

Originally Posted by Rosko
Holy Moly. You and I couldn't be further apart on this subject. I laughed hysterically when I found out there would be no more F1 racing at that embarrassing "track" called IMS. Foreigners probably think it's the best we have ... when we have Road America, Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca and now Miller Motorsports Park, among others. Give it time. It will be back, and hopefully at a better track.
America has some great venues but F1 isn't worth the ROI. George was willing to pay FIA 15 million but Bernie wanted 30 mil. It pretty much comes to a bidding war and the Middle East with their three races (so far) are winning. Ferrari is getting richer and richer from those dipshits. I mean really, if you're gonna do a F1 race are you gonna pick skanky desert women or Brazil?

Originally Posted by Rosko
IRL? Round and round and round. Now, for me, that's not as exciting, but it was nice to see Dario win it all a few days ago. I prefer Champ Car, but I don't prefer watching Bourdais win it all ... again.
I understand folks don't like the roundies. But the IRL has about a half dozen road events. And I just love watching and waiting for Danica to fuckup - ovals or road. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Last edited by Chuck 98 RT/10; 09-13-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Mazing

this is why i like to watch formula 1
YouTube - Nick Heidfeld at Spa '07 (onboard)