Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SAFE @ Sebring

Old 08-20-2007, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely a good time. Enjoyed running with SAFE and flogging Native's car. (thanks, Steve!)

This club seemed to have a much more casual "flavor" than most of the other club's I've run with (Chin, PBOC, NASA). With very few exceptions, the drivers were all very courteous all of the time. Even the guys in super-fast cars weren't overly pushy and passed with courtesy. Amazingly, I even had a point-by from a C6 Corvette with no drama whatsoever... anybody who's ever driven a slow car fairly quickly on a track with novice Vette drivers knows how rare THAT is! (they typically refuse to acknowledge your presence... Miatas in the rearview of a Corvette don't exist)

A good day at the track, for sure.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:38 PM
The Innovator

Was my first "real" track day (did a school once), and it was just awesome. I got great help from Loren with prep and driving (thank you!), and while it may not have been great for SAFE, the turnout was low so I had very little traffic to deal with. Treekiller's surprise appearance was cool, and so was trying to hang with him once he passed me .

It was a great intro to track racing, and I would definitely run with SAFE again.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM

There was no hanging with Jeff for us, unfortunately. He was clicking off consistent 2:52's and the absolute best I could do was 2:57 in the Miata. It just wasn't happenin'!

Next SAFE event at Sebring is September 22. Anybody wanna let me whore a ride with them? Neither of my cars are track worthy at present.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Single Turbod!!

Could someone explain this to me? If ive never been on a track before, or have any track experience, do i just pay the 250$ show up and im good to go? I just understand the situation so if someone could explain it, id appreciate it! Thx-Eric

Car videos on my YouTube Channel (Subscribe please!):
http://www.youtube.com/user/FDfranklin
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by FDfranklin
Could someone explain this to me? If ive never been on a track before, or have any track experience, do i just pay the 250$ show up and im good to go? I just understand the situation so if someone could explain it, id appreciate it! Thx-Eric
If you have no experience then you need to drive/ride with a sponsor until both you and the sponsor feel comfortable with you going solo.

If you don't try to show how fast you are then usually you are going solo by the afternoon.

If you pretend to be Michael Schumacher you'll be sent home.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by Loren
Next SAFE event at Sebring is September 22. Anybody wanna let me whore a ride with them? Neither of my cars are track worthy at present.
If I make it you are welcome to ride with me.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
legend behind the cowl

I don't think you understand He wants to share your ride. Worst thing is he usually drives faster then the car owner. Loren, you know your allways welcome if I go to an event. but from now on its as an instructor. I'm getting too poor to pay for track time.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Sexist

LOL Oh I see. Famous last words from non-Viper owners "What happened to the ABS?"
Old 08-21-2007, 10:26 AM

You won't hear that from me (like you'd let me behind the wheel of that monster, anyway). I've never driven an ABS-equipped car on a track, so that wouldn't be a problem. But, the fastest thing I've driven on track is Jeff's Sentra! What you'd hear from me is... "I've never gone this fast before, is the middle of the straight early enough to start braking???"

If I'm there, I wouldn't mind taking a ride in the Viper, though... even if you won't let me drive it.

Jeff, I pretty much played "instructor" with Steve last weekend. (he even bought a helmet intercom set so we could talk) It was fun, I'll have to see about getting into that instructor gig with you.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

I am going to try and make this event.