Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Evolution Performance Driving School

Old 07-30-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution Performance Driving School

Anyone gone to one of their schools? How was it? Worth your time? I just signed up for one coming up in Ft. Meyers. It's a two day (Friday/Saturday) event covering phase one and two. Then, an autocross on Sunday.

Here's a link to the school/schedule:http://autocross.com/evolution/modules/sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=4"

Last edited by snookwheel; 07-30-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 PM

I think the primary benefit is the amount of autocross seat time that you get in one weekend. You won't learn anything that you won't figure out in a year or so of autocrossing, anyway. (if you bother to ask experienced folks for tips every now and then) It just accelerates the learning process for most people.

And, if you've done a fair amount of reading on the subject of autocross driving, they really aren't going to tell you anything that you don't already know... they're just going to beat you over the head with it and try to get you to start doing things right.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:49 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

I attended last year and found it very useful. My line became smoother, my skills sharper and I found it worth the money. A lot of what they taught me really kicked in at the next autox I attended.

I hope you enjoy the school as well.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Blasian Sensation

Seat time is benefit, buy maybe one day I'll take the class. I've learned a lot within the last year or so, the limits of my car, my reaction on the courses, etc.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:45 PM
The Innovator

My experience was disappointing. But I hear they are under new management since then.

Three days in a row, for me anyway, would be exhausting (especially in Summer). Take Phase I, practice a while, then do Phase II if you want later (there'll be plenty of chances...).
Old 07-31-2007, 04:41 AM

I am signed up for the two day program + autocross the next day. I hope to pick up some pointers that will help out in Brooksville! Hope it will be a blast. My main goal is to hone some skills before moving up to some better tires. I have only had one chance to really push this car and that was at the last FAST SPC Autocross. I am sure I was leaving some time on the course.

Native, I bet you're right.. it will be a long two days. Hope the weather holds up.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:57 AM
The Innovator

Hope the weather holds up.Yesterday 08:45 PM
That's for sure! Either way, enjoy it.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Offset-----Less is MORE!!

I'd be interested, but I can't take off work on a Friday....at least not yet.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 AM

I've been to 4 of these, and may hit this Phase II on Saturday.
Though I have been before, it really helps to reinforce those skills.

IMO there is no better way to get faster in the shortest amount of time.
Nothing like getting a national champion to drive your car, and then trying to copy what they did.

I strongly suggest the EVO School, but there are options for less money.
I think Fast had a good school recently that taught all the same things, but for about 1/4 of the price. And the Porsche Club usually has a Rookie day (this past year with 3 national champions teaching) for $30. And lastly, most ride alongs are still free.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Originally Posted by Spin Out
IMO there is no better way to get faster in the shortest amount of time.
Nothing like getting a national champion to drive your car, and then trying to copy what they did.
I was only a little over a second then his fastest time in my car and the best part was hearing him say "dayum I miss driving an EF!"

I like the idea that they have an autox event the next day, hopefully you will see the lessons kick in quickly.

Phase II awaits me.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production