Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Blazing Sandals I A.K.A. "Son Of Treekiller"

Old 04-20-2007, 11:08 AM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blazing Sandals I A.K.A. "Son Of Treekiller"

Since this is going to be a beginning rally for most of you I decided to err to the side of conservatism, and everybody knows the true spirit of TreeKiller is not to be conservative. So... The first Suncoast road rally will be named Blazing Sandals. And finishing "BS" will be a novice qualifier for the invitation only TreeKiller.

"Stages" one and two and the odo. Leg have come along quite nicely I had to go out to Brooksville to find suitable roads with elevation and a BUNCH of turns. To draw in more competitors the "BS" rally will only be run on "Real" roads because of this we can keep the average speed up and draw in more competitors.

Some of the roads I had initially plotted were recently re-graded and the washboard surface is not even fun to go straight on so I had to eliminate most of these sections. (To be brought back for "TK" in the fall) I am going to put the emphasis on paved twisty roads. The pace WILL be brisk; CAS will be at or near the speed limit on most roads and these roads will be hard to maintain. I have found no less then 80 feet of elevation change in rapidly linked turning sections.

There are NO streetlights in this area so it's spooky st night but that adds to the fun!

I got to pre-run the road sections at speed and it is an absolute hoot.

Drivers: You’re going to have to be on your game to stay on time, although Time allowances are free for lost time.

Navagators: I am over explaining the route so you can keep your "loose nuts behind the wheel" under control.

Workers, I am sponsoring the Beef and Beer at rally finish. I can put some of you up if your from far out of town.

Last edited by treekiller; 04-20-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
aka The Twanksta!

So, is there going to be any portion of road that my lowered civic could not run on? Is there any offroad at all? and if so how far? Kind of interested in driving this..

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer
Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
legend behind the cowl

NO,
very little,
like a mile or two.

the route right now is ~40 miles. I'd like to remove the boring sections and replace them with more twisty roads end up ~50 miles and the route will be ready to tulip.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Jeff, just guessing here, but I think you're using terms that about 95% of your audience here doesn't understand. Might be worthwhile to explain some of them. From a quick review of your posts above, here's a list of terms that people might not know:

Odo Leg
CAS
Tulip

If you want to attract folks who don't already know the game, a "primer" is in order.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:00 PM
aka The Twanksta!

Yeah, I read his posts and literally have no F'n clue of what he is talking about! I see curvy road and rally and thats all I really know.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:05 PM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by The Twanksta
Yeah, I read his posts and literally have no F'n clue of what he is talking about! I see curvy road and rally and thats all I really know.
sorry

Tulip instructions it's the most common form of TSD instruction. they are super simple you start at the tulip "ball" and leave at the arrow. this is a left at a crossroads

All major turns and changes to the road you are traveling on are accompanied by a tulip usually with some form of identification so you can make sure to stay on course.

This is an easy form of pro rally route instructions. those actually get into more detail about dips and jumps or "yumps" as they are called.

CAS or CAST Calculated average speed.
this is the average speed you need to use in your calculations to determine when you are supposed to arrive at a given instruction. since that is how your score is determined.

Odo Leg or Odometer calabration leg.
It's the first "Stage" of a rally and gives you an oppertunity to find out your correction factor or what percentage you are fast or slow over offical mileage.

It all sounds complicated but it's not. if your odometer is 10% low you just need to calculate all the mileages by .9 so your instructions make sense and it's easy for you to stay on course.

here is a good site
TSDRoadRally.com - Novice or Nervous: Getting Started

that might be more info then you need.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:23 PM
aka The Twanksta!

So we do this, we gotta have a driver and a passenger(navigator) and you will give us a book with directions? and do we start in segments like rally or what? Im really interested in this, now that you say its mostly paved road so I can bring my Honda. I think it is just gonna be something you gotta do to figure it out.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:44 PM
aspiring luder

my speedo doesn't work

am i out?

i guess i can just wing it, this is something i'd really like to do, do we have a weekend set for it?

or is it just tentative now
Old 04-22-2007, 05:41 PM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by twanksta
So we do this, we gotta have a driver and a passenger(navigator) and you will give us a book with directions? and do we start in segments like rally or what? Im really interested in this, now that you say its mostly paved road so I can bring my Honda. I think it is just gonna be something you gotta do to figure it out.
exactly, except the segments are not begining and end of a stage, the checkpoints are just for scoring, you keep driving like normal once you exit.

Originally Posted by jlude90
my speedo doesn't work

am i out?

i guess i can just wing it, this is something i'd really like to do, do we have a weekend set for it?

or is it just tentative now
I've seen some people have luck using bicycle computers on their street cars, gives mph and mileage to .01 of a mile. just have to measure the od of your tires and mount the magnet and pickup on your transmission or diff.

Last edited by treekiller; 04-22-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 PM
aspiring luder

GPS would be illegal i'm guessing...ya know...for the sole purpose of the odometer