Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

FAST #5 - Autocross 5/13 - Brooksville

Old 05-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Native
You were not given a key code - the event organizers hold that. Typical autocross arrangement at Brooksville is get there before registration closes, while there is someone manning the gate, or else you won't get in.
Just to be clear, even if you get to the gate between 7 and 9, you still must have preregistered on for the event (listed on Automotive Events - Competition and Racing Calendar with Online Registration) to be included on the access roster. We have to turn that into the airport authority at least a week in advance -- if you're not on the roster, we can't let you in. Airport security policy -- we're bound to comply with it if we want to hold events there.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Comprehensive

All of this is spelled out clearly in the "DETAILS/REGISTRATION" link in the 1st post. Sorry you wasted your gas.

"In addition, the access gate will only be manned for a limited time -- please arrive no later than 9:00 and plan on staying for the day."

"Airport officials require us to submit a list of attendees in advance, so online regsitration is mandatory. Registration will close 4 May. ALL PARTICPANTS, INCLUDING ENTRANTS, CREW, AND SPECTATORS MUST PRE-REGISTER PRIOR TO 4 MAY TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE SITE!"
Old 05-15-2007, 04:07 AM

Thanks to Muddy for the instructional rides.
Sorry for the Big Spin Out at the finish line,
But you are riding with a guy named "Spin Out",
you shouldn't really be surprised.

I would have placed 8th if I could have kept it clean on that last run.
Still I'm super happy with my placement.

Why such a short course?
I go to Brooksville for 1 min plus runs.
I can get 45 sec runs at Z-hills, and people are running 35s at Brooks?

Word was right about the short shut down box.
Especially with the Miata parked at the end of it, and a hot finish.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:37 AM
The Innovator

Why such a short course?
I go to Brooksville for 1 min plus runs.
I can get 45 sec runs at Z-hills, and people are running 35s at Brooks?
Well, we could say we did it on purpose to make sure we got a lot of runs in and done early enough for people to go have dinner with mom...truth is it just turned out that way...no reason.

edit: We need a chair for our June event at B'ville, if you'd like to volunteer for the job, you do get to design the course!

Last edited by Native; 05-15-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 AM
The Innovator

^^ ...was addressed on the FAST forum. There were two Corrados. At least one of them was classed wrong (race tires). It'll get fixed.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 AM
The Innovator

The VR6 Corrado is correctly classed in E (modified, street tires, under 3 liters). The Corrado SLC moves to A (modified, race tires).
Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Comprehensive

I've never taken part in a 60+ second course at SPC, Zephyrhills, nor Brooksville. 52 seconds... sure. Once. Over a year ago.

Next time we'll add 5 obstacles that get speeds down to 5-10mph each and have a 52 second course!

It was a *fast* course, not necessarily short. Braking was extremely minimal, but had to be very aggressive where it existed.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally Posted by jblaine
I've never taken part in a 60+ second course at SPC, Zephyrhills, nor Brooksville. 52 seconds... sure. Once. Over a year ago.

Next time we'll add 5 obstacles that get speeds down to 5-10mph each and have a 52 second course!

It was a *fast* course, not necessarily short. Braking was extremely minimal, but had to be very aggressive where it existed.
The courses at our SCCA events are usually in the 50-55 second range. Not hard to do at Brooksville.

This course had a nice flow to it and was super fun. Who designed it? We need to borrow them.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
my whip is a janky hoopty

There is a ton more room at Brooksville for longer courses. But a longer course may mean a couple of extra stations to be manned. We ended up with more people than I thought we would for Mother's day, so a longer course may have been fine, but expecting a small turnout, better to have more peple than not enough. Short course is the safer bet.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Comprehensive

It was designed initially by Russ Morgan (not on TR, BlackEyeII @ NASIOC and FAST Forums). He's no longer with us (moving to Oregon this weekend) unfortunately.

I tweaked it 20% then handed it over to Steve Frank and Ron Croft.

Then AScoda, myself, and others tweaked it a tiny bit when we set it up at the site.