Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

car prep for autocross?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM
sandwich pimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car prep for autocross?

ok so i have been wanting to autocross for some time now. the only problem is my car is heavly and very loose. i have read in previous post that tires helps the most in autocross but i was wondering what else is important. i figure suspention is next but how do i set up the suspention for autocross and then back to daily driver?(i only have one car) do i go with shocks+springs or a full coilover set up. what mods have you guys done that you have seen an improvment on the track more than others, or am i going to figure it out as i go. i have looked online and not alot of people are autocrossing with the TC's there mostly doing drag. i really want to start doing this so all the help would be great.
thanks,
pete

My religon is capitalism.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 AM
legend behind the cowl

What kind of car? there are lots of diffrent options that work. some are cheaper some just require a damping change to drive home.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
The Fat Cobra

The only important things are that your car passes tech and you have fun. Worry about the competitiveness of your car later. You may find that you don't even want to autox your current car.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Blasian Sensation

Have fun and learn the abilities of your car first. Then work on suspension (full coilover setup,,imo) and tires to start off.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 AM
my whip is a janky hoopty

05 Scion TC
Originally Posted by RickitySlick
my car is heavly and very loose.
I'll assume you mean heavy and not heavenly.
And, by loose do mean it oversteers?
I wouldn't expect either of those to be used to describe that car.

Doesn't matter anyway. Increase the air pressure in the tires. Reduces sidewall rollover which helps the tires grip. And, it's free! If you want to spend some money, get an alignment that will give you more negative camber on the wheels.
Do nothing else untill you have participated in some events.

Don't modify a car untill you know what it needs, or if it is even worth it. You may do ok in your stock class, you may not. As soon as you start modifying though, you move to the modified classes and your chances of being competitive start to dwindle. Especially if you are inexperienced.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by Darryl
Have fun and learn the abilities of your car first. Then work on suspension (full coilover setup,,imo) and tires to start off.
+1000

Learn how to get the most out of what you got. After that, you will better realize the advantages to any upgrades.

The first year I tracked the only "upgrades" were fresh tires and brake pads. I didn't even move to slicks until my third year because there just wasn't any more speed I could get out of streets.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
sandwich pimp

if i replace my rims is that considered a modification? oh and thanx for the posts and i hope to see you guys and learn from u

Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Sexist

Originally Posted by RickitySlick
if i replace my rims is that considered a modification?
Depends on the width.

Regardless, do what you want. Its just a little humiliating to have a gazillion mods to your car and then get your ass handed to you by some stocker that really knows how to drive.

JMO.

The main thing is to get out there and do it.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:05 AM

Go to an autocross. A bone stock Scion TC will get around an autocross course just fine. After a few autocrosses, you'll have a better idea what you're up against, and you can have some experienced people ride with you and help you decide where your priorities should lie.

The most likely first priorities will be: Tires and Driver. The rest can wait.

As several others have already said here: Just go out and do it!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
sandwich pimp

ok thanks guy i hope to see u out there im not going to change anything on my car till a couple events. and thanks again