Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Those Looking to get started in Roadracing on the quick

Old 03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those Looking to get started in Roadracing on the quick

http://www.drivenasafl.com/downloads...school2007.pdf

This weekend, 2 days, and you'll recieve your license. (Must be solo certified) Must Resist.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:12 PM

Pardon me for bieng a n00b, but where do you get solo certified? I wanted to try some different types of racing (so far all I've done is drag raced) and would love to work my way up to NASA events.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 AM

A lot (most?) clubs tend to not honor most other club's training systems and levels. (exception being perhaps more formal clubs like NASA and SCCA where you might have an actual license or log book to prove where you stand)

This being a NASA school, they're probably requiring NASA solo certification, which you can obtain by simply attending a few of their track events. You'll start in their "HPDE 1" category with an instructor and move up from there. HPDE 2, I believe is solo. HPDE 3 is solo with more relaxed passing rules, and HPDE 4 is solo with open passing. (sort of like "gentleman's racing"... you're expected to allow the faster car to pass, but you're not required to point them by)

Read more: H.P.D.E. - National Auto Sport Association - We drive harder

You can also get started with clubs like Chin Motorsports, PBOC and others. Many clubs run the Florida tracks regularly and are a great resource for practice time.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:14 PM

Thanks, Loren. I'll look to SCCA and NASA for licensing!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:19 PM
legend behind the cowl

Loren is Right, although SCCA schools are still mainly for club racing, mostly saftey and Flags etc. not much for the very novice. the big kicker for most is .... FROM
Sports Car Club of America
"To attend an SCCA Driver School, you must arrange for your own properly prepared race car. You will also need approved driving gear, including an SCCA approved helmet. If you do not have a race car, you will have to rent or lease one in order to attend a school"

So a race car with a cage, Firesuit, SA200+ Helmet. plus the schools are usually between $500 and $1500

That is why many people applying for SCCA licensing go to a Bondurant, Panoz, Barber, yadda yadda yadda. SCCA is supposed to start doing more HPDE (I allways confuse this with High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
style events, but I have not seen the offical word on this.

Yes in Nasa FL you can be signed off to solo after only one HDPE-1 (not a great idea) I reccomend at least 2-3 events before making the jump nasa southeast has instructors for Hdpe 1 and 2. (2 is much faster) then solo you on 3

Mainly since Autocross (which was once the feeder series for solo-1 then club racing) has become it's own sport they are going to start pulling in marque clubs and their driving school programs like NASA has allready done.

Last edited by treekiller; 04-02-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned

I am def. a noob at this but I want to soak up some info. Please send links by P.M. or respond to my post with links to more info on NASA and other clubs. I want to do some NASA club events but I don't know when they are or how much. Please help. I am very much interested in road racing vs. auto cross through gates and around cones. Whatever its all good I would just rather have more info on road racing. I have a Turbo car is this a problem? Its a Talon TSI AWD Thanks guys.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Turn 7 at Sebring

I wish I would have seen this post earlier!

Bjptiburon: My advice is to get a few autocrosses under your belt. My feeling is auto-x makes you a better driver/racer.

With that said, Chin Motorsports is a great club for people that are just starting and people who have run some events. Both Loren and I run Chin events. Chin is real cautious about granting solo status, so it will take 2 - 3 events before you will be able to solo, but you will gain a wealth of knowledge during those events.

Chin has an event on Apr 14th and 15th you are welcome to come down to Sebring and check out the club. You can even ride along for $20.00
Chin MotorSports - More Tracks, More Track Time!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Banned

So where can I actually get some seat time and how much is it?
Old 04-04-2007, 05:00 AM

Here's where you need to take some initiative and do some research. Info on all of the clubs mentioned in this thread is easily found, but to make it even easier... you can find it all here.

Where? Closest track to us is Sebring.

How Much? Budget for about $350 plus getting there, plus a hotel if you don't want to have to get up at 5am and drive to the track before you drive ON the track, plus gas, plus tires and brake pads. Minimum.

For that, you'll get 3-4 HOURS of track time, usually in 20-45 minute sessions. You'll get in-car instruction. You'll have tons of fun.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:58 AM
Banned

Man you guys have me stoked I can't wait. I am going to do some research like you all suggest so I don't go into this dry. Thanks