Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW Sunday

Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw Ax

Bam,
Good course!
Good driving - you ran a what in a 318ti - that is impossible - those cars do not go that fast.

Fun ride - even with out all the hp.

Varying course design to keep everyone happy and even out the competition.
Variety is the main thing - high speed - slow speed - average speed - tight turns - open turns - increasing raduis - decreasing radius - sweepers - braking - trail braking.

Just keep changing the courses like you have been doing and everyone in the end will be happy with a course that the did good at.

Muddy - you can't handle the 318i (on the Pax), and you want to mess with the M3 - all I can say is go for it!
Until next time - thanks to all!

Keith R
JFF Racing
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Originally Posted by bam2002
I do need to be nice to Vivek (sp) .. and at least make sure a camero can get thru the next one without breaking off a sway bar mount..

B
he is currently under the car replacing said mounts

Keith I agree, the variety of course set ups, difficulty and speed are what keep me coming out. It increases my skills all the time.

I would have loved to been able to run this course as now with my new suspension set up as my car is now rotating a lot better ... just got to get that doctors note and i'm good to go

Vivek suprising me with having me drive a parade lap in his car was really great, it made me review the course in my mind and think where my braking points, etc would need to be at. It would have been a great learning experience on braking for me.

I can see Hankook (sp) in my future as well, thanks Muddy for the info on them.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production

Last edited by chi town brat; 01-16-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM

Hankook tires were also on the Baur... I was happy with them. I have run Kuhmo , Avon and now the Hankooks.. I would say they are the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:59 PM
The Fat Cobra

I enjoyed the course becuase you really had to throw your car around to negotiate the course. To be frank, I never liked your "braking zones". If I wanted to be on a race course, I can go to Sebring. I prefer the fast pace and flow of a good autox course. Keep me moving without having to constantly change gears.

Keith, I can't keep up with you in the pax in my woefully underprepared and, even if it were properly prepared, uncompetitive BSP car. I still think I can beat you in your BS M3. I am sure you would be seconds faster than I if you setup your M3 for BSP.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM

Cool thanks every one , this is just what I was looking for.. I can keep the braking zones to a minimum. and work on making them smooth , plus mix up the styles. So some with no gear changes and others with a few.. Guess to make sure that all the Skills are getting used.

I also will get allot more freedom in course design when we get our new equipment. I am trying to get the WiFi set up so that the finish gate can be anywhere. So that we can do the SCCA type set ups with the finish at the end of the runway..

Ill get the next one up on myautoevents.. for the 25th.. when I get back home later this week.

B

Last edited by bam2002; 01-16-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 AM

Muddy,
Sounds like a fun challenge - now all I have to do is get the car ready.
And see how it does.

Bam,
What was the difference between your runs in your car and Russ's 318ti?
What do we do to make your car go faster?
Your driving skills have constantly been improving.
What is the next step?

Just out having fun,
Keith R
JFF Racing
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by bam2002
Cool thanks every one , this is just what I was looking for.. I can keep the braking zones to a minimum. and work on making them smooth , plus mix up the styles. So some with no gear changes and others with a few.. Guess to make sure that all the Skills are getting used.

I also will get allot more freedom in course design when we get our new equipment. I am trying to get the WiFi set up so that the finish gate can be anywhere. So that we can do the SCCA type set ups with the finish at the end of the runway..

Ill get the next one up on myautoevents.. for the 25th.. when I get back home later this week.

B
Bam
Not be a contrain, but we have miata people and honda people saying it was fun....No Offense but this is a BMW club and our auto X. For BMW's this was not fun, and I do find the brake zones usefull. I enjoy the transitions between gates, sort of reminds me of a road course. But 5 walls and having slaloms that are angled away from your car are not enjoyable in 3400 lbs cars with stock suspension and street tires. The entire course was turn turn turn turn turn, brake, turn turn turn turn ..brake turn accelerate...finish.
I enjoy challenges, but when I drive my ass of and I know I can not be competative it loses its fun. You can have a course in the ridiculous specs of Bville and make it fair for all cars. And the thing is I was the fastest car on street tires/ stock suspension and beat the E46 M3 by a second! In fact the only cars faster than me where smaller and on track tiresor healily modded suspensions. I was 8th out of 30, So I am not complaining because I suck just because it was not fun.
Sorry for the rant.
Here is a nice challenging course, that makles it appear you are going somewhere.

San_Diego_Autocross_nov_4_2006_bnort.wmv - Google Video
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM

I think that a lot of your courses like to bottle people in between walls of cones. If you would just eliminate the outside walls, you could give people with bigger cars more room to setup for tighter turns. And then the tighter stuff would be less painful for them.

Some of the turning ratios in that video are ridiculous though. Looks like some of that stuff was 1:1. I won't do less than 1:4-1:5. And since Brooksville is on a grid this stuff shouldn't be a surprise.

Jeremy

Old 01-17-2007, 11:02 AM

SMG I am not saying that all future courses will be like the one this month. It was a 1st attempt at making sure the “speed limit” would be honored. I am saying that future courses will be tighter than in the past , but since I actually was slower than I needed to be I know I can open it up a bit.

Word has a good point about removing the outside wall. I can defiantly open up things for bigger cars. But you also have to remember that a Camaro is as big as a 3 series, or maybe even a 5 series? And the Z28 was at 1:09 so a bigger car could make it through the course.

The main thing I am taking from this is thread is to keep the courses flowing so less gear changes are a good thing. Some breaking exercises are OK but don’t go overboard. In the past I have always made it up as I go.. I have never gone out there with a pre drawn course. I am somewhat selfish when I do set up a course, if I feel I need to work on slaloming I will set up a large slalom. Im guessing that others would also like to work on the skills that I want to enhance. All I want to make sure that every one knows that I am open for suggestions in course lay out. I want to keep the events exciting and always be improving every ones skills.

B

Last edited by bam2002; 01-17-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM

KBMW

I really dont know why I did better in the 318ti. I think the car is better balanced due to the 4 cyl.. and with all the improvments.. Chip, Cam etc.. the HP is close to the 323 I was driving.. Guessing its time to get some professionals in the car with me to work on getting to the next level.

B