Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

BMW Sunday

Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bam2002
Actually things will be tigher for a while to abide by the new speed limit imposed there. As I hear / see the other groups courses and speeds I also can adjust..
What speed limit?

The "10 mph" signs in front of the motor homes? That doesn't apply to the whole runway...

SCCA ran a nice fast-ish course there two weeks ago. Top of 2nd gear for most of us.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:06 AM

Way to go Muddy.
Any video of the FTD?
I knew you were going fast when I heard the Rev limiter bumping,
and saw your front tire lift (maybe 2") in the Slalom.

Wow BAM, that's a fast little drop top.
I need to have a better look at that car.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally Posted by Loren
I beat Muddy Saturday... teehee... in a Sentra...
Bask in your glory until next month. My race tires worked much better after some proper scrubbing at Brooksville.

Video of FTD:

Video - FTD at BMWCCA event on 1/14/07, 102.010.

I think I could have gone a little over 50 mph in a few places if second gear went that high. With the taller than stock race tires, I am probably doing around 47-48 mph.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:46 AM
who stole my intercooler?

damn, that's quite a different course than what i remember from the last bmw event i went too, think most of the faster cars were well over 100mph at that one.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 AM

Another nice run, Muddy. Bad form crossing up your hands so much, but I guess the course lent itself to that and it was likely faster to keep your hands in a fixed position. (not sure I'd do that in my car with manual steering... getting crossed up is more of a problem in my car!)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
legend behind the cowl

Looks like we have another Hankook convert. Cheap, fast and long lasting. ummm check please.

Originally Posted by Muddy
Bask in your glory until next month. My race tires worked much better after some proper scrubbing at Brooksville.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally Posted by Loren
Another nice run, Muddy. Bad form crossing up your hands so much, but I guess the course lent itself to that and it was likely faster to keep your hands in a fixed position. (not sure I'd do that in my car with manual steering... getting crossed up is more of a problem in my car!)
I am usually much better than that, however this course took an unusual amount of steering input. I am not complaining, though. That was the most fun I had at an autox in a long time.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bam2002
well its was a Miata course if Muddy got FTD>>

Actually things will be tigher for a while to abide by the new speed limit imposed there. As I hear / see the other groups courses and speeds I also can adjust..

This one was a 2nd gear course and i was informed it was may be 50 mph..? so i do have some room there to open it up a bit..

I do need to be nice to Vivek (sp) .. and at least make sure a camero can get thru the next one without breaking off a sway bar mount..

B
Actually, I thought it was an excellent course...the course demanded precision for my big car to get through cleanly. If I had tightened up my steering inputs instead of being a bit lazy (still learning the new spring/shock setup) I would have had some more cone-free runs. The sway bar mount let go right after my first run in the afternoon, so I was fighting the car, but it's easy to fix...just the price of running a solid front bar for the last 3+ years.
Kudos on the course design!

Vivek
Old 01-16-2007, 08:49 AM

Default course

Muddy..or any one that would like to provide Input... why did you like this course?

I was afraid that the slower course would cause complaints, mainly with the "M" cars.

In the past I really liked to get the speed up and then do a braking , turning exercise. I feel that many of the autocrosses don’t teach breaking and setting the car up for a turn like one would have to do on a track day. This past event really didn’t have breaking areas, but it was very technical.

I really am interested why it was fun for you, since you do many events with may different clubs. Since I would like to keep interest up in our events..

B

Last edited by bam2002; 01-16-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:21 AM

Hi BAM,
First, Thumbs up on the course design from me.
I suspect you will hear some complaints about the many turns and slower speeds from BMW owners.
My assumption was that since the top speed turned out to be about 50mph,
that the next event would open up a little to get the max speeds up to 60.

It was a very Miata friendly design (maybe I should say Mazdaspeed MX-5 Friendly based on Muddys results),
But I frankly liked putting the car in 2nd gear and leaving it alone.